The German Red Cross (GRC) is part of a worldwide community assisting victims of conflicts and disasters and people affected by social or health related crises. The Red Cross / Red Crescent Movement provides vulnerable people with assistance without discrimination as to nationality, race, religious beliefs, class or political opinions and adheres to the seven Fundamental Principles of the Movement: Humanity, Impartiality, Neutrality, Independence, Voluntary Service, Unity and Universality. The German Red Cross assists in disaster response, rehabilitation and capacity building projects on appeals of their sister organisations within the Movement.
GRC is currently seeking a Forecast-based Financing (FbF) Delegate (m/f/d) to support the implementation of a FbF project in Sudan which started in January 2022 and will end in December 2024. Implemented together with the Sudanese Red Crescent Society (SRCS), the project strives to develop and establish a FbF mechanism in Sudan. More particularly, it aims to develop Early Action Protocols (EAP), strengthen local and national capacities for FbF planning and implementation and to coordinate advocacy efforts to institutionalize FbF on policy level. The Project Delegate will engage in a combination of capacity building activities for the benefit of the SRCS as well as providing technical guidance and support to SRCS in FbF programming.
The Project Delegate works as part of the German Red Cross Delegation in Sudan under the direction and guidance of the Head of Office based in Khartoum and will be supported by regional and HQ technical advisors.
Duration: Starting January 2023 for 12 months (extension until end of project in December 2024 is being sought)
Location: Khartoum, Sudan, with frequent travels to different locations within the country
Main duties & responsibilities:
- In close cooperation with the Sudanese Red Crescent Society, lead the direct implementation of the FbF Project to achieve the planned results and budget.
- Comprehensive proactive and timely project management, incl. reporting, M&E, management of finances, procurement, HR and visibility, in line with GRC and donor standards.
- Support and guide the process of the development and testing of the EAP.
- Work jointly with SRCS on strengthening their capacities and advocacy role in the field of Climate Change Adaptation and Forecast-based Financing and contribute to embedding the FbF mechanism into their existing procedures.
- Support SRCS to liaise, coordinate and cooperate with Government authorities as well as relevant national & international organizations and stakeholders active in the field of Early Warning Early Action/Anticipation.
- Cooperate and exchange with the anticipation community on regional and global level and contribute to the further development of the FbF methodology.
- Improve access to validated forecast data and oversee the development of forecast-based thresholds for early actions in hazard- prone areas (supported by a technical advisor).
Required Competencies & Skills:
- Minimum 5 years of experience in the field of Disaster Risk Reduction/Preparedness and Response Mechanisms; familiarity with Early Warning /Anticipatory Humanitarian Action is a strong advantage
- Relevant technical experience in modelling, forecasts, GIS, hydrometeorology, climatology, or similar are an advantage.
- Experience working for the Red Cross Red Crescent Movement is an advantage
- Experience in cooperating with local partner organizations and putting their priorities, needs and capacities in the center contributing to their capacity strengthening
- Minimum 3 years of experience in project cycle management, MEAL, implementing donor funded projects (including procurement and administrative and financial processes and management)
- Ability to plan and implement capacity building activities and deliver trainings
- Proven ability to communicate clearly and effectively and build relationships at all levels, considering cultural and language differences.
- Ability to work independently and as a team member
- Ability and agreement to adhere to the Red Cross Red Crescent Fundamental Principles
- Oral and written fluency in English, German and Arabic knowledge is an advantage
- Very good writing skills with awareness for details
- Very good ability to think and work in complex contexts
- Ability to complete a thorough medical screening process ‘working abroad under specific climate and health conditions’
- Valid Driving Licence
What we offer you:
You will be part of a highly motivated professional and multicultural team. We offer you a compensation package according to the collective employment agreement of the GRC, an expatriation allowance during your mission and accommodation. In addition to a full insurance package GRC is covering a home flight within a 12-months period of assignment. Medical check-ups and Psychosocial Support Service are included in your assignment. A comprehensive training package as well as briefings prior, during and after your mission will complete your employment.
Please note that due to the travel and visa regulations and the guidelines of our partners in the Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement certain vaccinations are required for this delegate position. Candidates on the short-list for this position will be asked to disclose their vaccination status.
We point out that the selection and nomination processes for this international delegate position may demand that information concerning your person be shared with involved Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement partners (IFRC, ICRC, National Society). This may include transmission into countries that do not apply data protection standards comparable to those of the European Union.