USAID Nigeria State Accountability, Transparency and Effectiveness (State2State) Activity
Scope of Work
**Location:**Bauchi, Nigeria with travel, pending security situation, to partner states
Start date: October 2022
The purpose of the five-year (2020-2025) “State Accountability, Transparency and Effectiveness” (“State2State”) Activity is to increase the accountability, transparency and effectiveness of selected state and local governments (LGAs) in Nigeria. This will be achieved by: strengthening governance systems (with a focus on public financial management [PFM] and procurement, as well as monitoring and evaluation) related to the delivery of services in key sectors (basic education, primary health care, and water, sanitation and hygiene [WASH]); increasing government responsiveness to citizen needs and priorities; and improving government and civil society capacity to manage conflict (through work on prevention, mitigation and reconciliation with the same sectoral partners, not stand-alone assistance to the police or judiciary). State2State will achieve this purpose by facilitating the strengthening of subnational governance systems in a sustainable manner, supporting the efforts of local reformers, and building on locally derived solutions including, to the extent possible, reforms already working in other parts of Nigeria.
The Grants Manager will report and provide support to the Director of Finance and Administration (DFA) to ensure efficient and effective management of project grant funds. The Grants Manager will assume the overall responsibility for the management of the program grants portfolio in compliance with USAID and DAI rules and directives. The Grants Manager will provide technical oversight, quality assurance, and support to the Senior Grants Specialist, in the Bauchi main office, and the state-level Grants Specialists.
The Grants Manager will:
- Directly supervise the Senior Grants Specialist.
- Support the development of a technical and management strategy to ensure grants align with S2S goals, scaling of activities, and risk mitigation.
- Provide capacity building and technical learning opportunities for Grants team members, grantees and subcontractors with whom State2State engages.
- Provide procedures and policy guidance and interpretation for program staff as well as grantees to ensure adherence to grant and subcontract management policies. Contribute to the design, implementation, and monitoring of the effectiveness and adequacy of the grant and subcontract policies, procedures, and processes.
- Evaluate grant and subcontract applications, proposals, and awards to ensure adherence to grants and subcontract management policies.
- Ensure proper negotiation of the terms and conditions for grants.
- Review and analyze budget estimates for allowability, allocability, reasonableness, and consistency.
- Prepare grant agreements and assist with supervision/implementation of grants, including closure and disposition plans.
- Monitor grantees and subcontracting organizations to confirm that funds allocated are used for specified purposes.
- Review procurement processes under grants to ensure competitiveness and compliance.
- Review payment requests submitted by grantees and subcontractors including acceptability of milestones/deliverables. Follow up proactively and timely on resolution of inconsistencies or questioned costs.
- Oversee the grants and subcontract close-out process, working with the Senior Grants Specialist to ensure complete documentation of relevant documents.
- Prepare regular reports on grants for the Chief of Party (CoP).
- Other responsibilities of a reasonable nature as assigned by the DFA or CoP.
- The Grants Manager will report to the Director of Finance and Administration.
- Bachelor’s degree in finance, business administration, public administration, economics, or another relevant field. Master’s degree preferred.
- Working knowledge of US Government operations, policies, and procedures, and FAR regulations preferred.
- At least 10 years of related progressively more responsible grants experience including grants design and administration (experience with grants award and grants management as well as prior experience in the award and administration of subcontracts), preferably in the good governance sector.
- Working knowledge of USAID Contract Management and Grants Management policies and procedures required.
- Experience implementing grant policies and procedures required.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to engage with a wide range of organizations, beneficiaries, and related parties.
- Have both a willingness and ability to train and be trained.
- Advanced practical experience with MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Strong oral and written communication skills in English.
Note: This is a local hire position only for Nigerian Cooperating Country Nationals (CCNs).
Women, persons with disabilities, and youth who meet the above qualifications are encouraged to apply.
- Job City Bauchi