Job Title: Head of Programming I, Burkina Faso
Job Location: Ouagadougou
Job Type: Regular, Full Time
Reports To: Country Representative
Catholic Relief Services is the official international humanitarian agency of the Catholic community in the United States. CRS works to save, protect, and transform lives in need in more than 100 countries, without regard to race, religion or nationality. CRS’ relief and development work is accomplished through programs of emergency response, HIV, health, agriculture, education, microfinance and peacebuilding.
As a member of the Country Program (CP) Senior Management Team, you will provide strategic direction, leadership, and management of the CP’s programming to ensure the establishment and successful implementation of high-quality programs serving the poor and vulnerable. Your leadership, management and knowledge will ensure that the CP delivers high-quality programming and continuously works towards improving the impact of its programming.
- In collaboration with the Country Representative (CR) provide strategic direction for the design of the CP strategic frameworks and plans, including the development of resource mobilization strategies to optimize the impact of programming interventions in line with regional and agency strategic priorities.
- Lead high-quality project design incorporating project management standards and MEAL methods, appropriate to scope, context and technical requirements of projects. Coordinate planning of activities across various projects from different sectors to ensure integration of program interventions and efficiency in implementation
- In collaboration with the Senior Management team support country program staff to make the psychological shift from a predominantly development focused programming to a multi-tiered program that incorporates emergency and resilience programming
- Create and maintain proper conditions for learning. Establish a safe environment for sharing of ideas, solutions, and difficulties and the capacity to detect, analyze and respond quickly to deficiencies. Promote accountability, learning and knowledge management overseeing implementation of the MEAL policy, as well as cross-sectoral and cross-department learning.
- Coordinate with CP operations leads to ensure appropriate project budgeting and efficient use and stewardship of project material sources.
- In coordination with resource mobilization staff oversee the business development cycle to ensure quality proposals per agency and donor standards.
- Oversee the identification, assessment and strengthening of appropriate partnerships and the appropriate application of partnership concepts, tools and approaches.
- Effectively manage talent. Provide coaching, strategically tailor individual development plans, and complete performance assessment for direct reports. Contribute to developing staffing plans for projects and to the recruitment process of senior project staff.
- Ensure technical assistance and capacity strengthening for project teams and partners in project management standards and related MEAL, business development and operational activities. Identify training opportunities, develop training curriculums and deliver trainings.
Scope: Direct supervision of 6 staff (both international and national) and a program value of $10 million
Typical Background, Experience & Requirements:
Education and Experience
- Master’s Degree in International Development, International Relations or relevant field.
- Minimum of 5 years work experience in a senior program management position with progressive responsibilities for an international NGO.
- Strong experience in project grants management, including project design, budget preparation, expenditure tracking, monitoring and evaluation, reporting, etc., preferably for projects funded by multiple public donors, including USAID.
- Minimum of 2 years work experience working in insecure environments
- Minimum of 2 years work experience managing emergency programs
- Experience in analyzing changing security environments and supporting protocol development, a plus
- Experience with successful business development activities capturing public and/or private donor funding.
- Excellent English writing skills.
- Experience engaging partners and strengthening partnerships. Experience working with Church partners a plus
- Staff management experience and abilities that are conducive to a learning environment
- Minimum of 1 year supervisory experience, a plus
- Experience and abilities in capacity strengthening – developing curricula and facilitating trainings.
- Experience using MS Office packages (Excel, Word, PowerPoint), Web Conferencing Applications, information and budget management systems, and knowledge sharing networks.
- Excellent strategic, analytical, systems thinking, and problem-solving skills, with capacity to see the big picture and ability to make sound judgment and decisions.
- Strong relations management abilities. Ability to relate to people at all levels internally and externally. Strategic in how you approach each relationship.
- Team leadership abilities
- Capacity to remain objective in staff management
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Presentation and facilitation skills
- Proactive, resourceful, solutions oriented and results-oriented
- Ability to remain positive and to motive staff
- Actively pursues work life balance
Required/Desired Foreign Language — Fluent in French and English
Travel Required – 30% of the time
Key Working Relationships:
Supervisory: Direct reports include DHoP, CoP for specific projects, Partnerships Manager and MEAL Manager
Internal: Working relationships include Country Representative, HoOPs, the Operations Department, Security Manager and the Executive Administrative Assistant
External: WARO regional team, HQ support teams and other HoPs in the region
Agency-wide Competencies (for all CRS Staff)
These are rooted in the mission, values, and guiding principles of CRS and used by each staff member to fulfill his or her responsibilities and achieve the desired results.
- Continuous Improvement & Innovation
- Builds Relationships
- Develops Talent
- Strategic Mindset
- Accountability & Stewardship
What we offer
CRS offers a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, life insurance, vision, generous retirement savings plan and the opportunity to work in a collaborative, mission-driven culture that is committed to improving the lives of the poor throughout the world.
****Our Catholic identity is at the heart of our mission and operations. Catholic Relief Services carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. We welcome as a part of our staff people of all faiths and secular traditions who share our values and our commitment to serving those in need. CRS’ processes and policies reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation.*
Disclaimer: This job description is not an exhaustive list of the skill, effort, duties, and responsibilities associated with the position.
CRS’ talent acquisition procedures reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation.
EOE/M/F/D/V – CRS is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
- Job City Burkina Faso