Job Description HR and Logistics Officer
THE POSITON Legal Action Worldwide (LAW) is searching for an experienced professional with a background in administration to support the HR and Logistics and some Finance functions. . His/hers/theirs will be the focal person for LAW’s Nairobi office, ensuring project teams are supported in their queries also build staff capacity. His/hers/theirs will report directly to the Programme Manager and matrix reporting to the Head of HR and Compliance, in addition working closely with the Finance Manager.
BACKGROUND ABOUT LAW LAW is an independent, non-profit organisation comprised of human rights lawyers and jurists working in fragile and conflict affected areas in the Middle East, Africa and South Asia. LAW has a particular focus on gender equality and sexual and gender-based violence, the rule of law and accountability and transformative justice – working to bring justice to those who need it most.
LAW’s ground-breaking work has received international media coverage, including in the New York Times, the Times of London, the Guardian, Al-Jazeera, BBC News, France24, The Independent, Voice of America, Huffington Post and Foreign Policy.
MORE ABOUT THE POSITION Where? The position will be based at the Nairobi Office in Kenya. His/hers/theirs should have the residency and legal right to work in Kenya. Some regional travel opportunities may be available.
This position is full time, but we may be flexible for the right candidate. It is a 12-month contract, and possible extension subject to funding.
Salary: Competitive rates of pay apply.
Role Overview and Responsibility: The HR and Logistics Officer will work closely with the Africa team to ensure smooth running of the office and provide strong HR and Finance administrative duties. The post holder will perform duties in accordance with the responsibilities outlined below:
Human Resource Management
- Manage the end-to-end recruitment; drafting job descriptions to liaising with candidates and participation on the interview panels;
- Support on-boarding and ensuring the new staff have appropriate work space and LAW equipment;
- Drafting contracts and maintain a tracking system (expiry end dates, renewals etc) and employment checks/vetting;
- Maintenance of up-to-date personnel files, including employee NSSF registration, salary payments, leave requests, exit process;
- Facilitate implementation of LAW policy and procedures to programme teams;
- Coordinate team meetings, including drafting, circulating agendas/minutes and ensuring these are actioned;
Logistics and Office Management
- Focal person for office suppliers and vendors; respond to queries, ensure utility bills and payment authorisation are tracked;
- Maintenance of the office to ensure a safe workplace and implementation of staff security and safety policies;
- Liaise with the letting agent on any building management issues etc;
- Procurement and financial compliance, assisting with maintaining office /stationery supplies, and track inventory of LAW equipment including laptops etc;
- Assist project teams or guests with the planning of missions, organizing flights and accommodation;
- Act as a security and safety focal point for the Nairobi Office; SOP, security and aety plans, welcome packs are up to date; follow up on health and sagety
- Generate statutory eslips and ensure timely payment of statutory obligations;
- Prepare payment documents and reconciliation including; bank and cash payment vouchers and travel documents;
- Data entry of financial transactions into the Navision accounting system;
- Support and keep accurate office files and financial records;
- Manage the office petty cash in Kenya Shillings and USD;
- Undertake banking tasks such as collection of cheque books, deposits of cash, cash and bank reconciliations;
Any other duties as specified by management.
Skills and Qualifications Required:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Human Resources Management, Business Administration, Accounting or a relevant field
- Minimum 3 year’s demonstrated experience in administration; preferably working within a HR or Finance function;
- Track record of delivering general HR/Admin procedures and policies, safety, and good financial or accounting background;
- Knowledge and experience of general payroll and statutory requirements;
- Flexible and proactive with ability to manage different demands and multi-tasking
- Experience with an international NGO preferred.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications (word, excel, powerpoint, outlook)
- Excellent communication skills, including fluency in both English and local languages;
- Towork independently, take initiative and can prioritize conflicting deadlines;
- Demonstrated experience to establish positive relationships with various stakeholders;
- Good understanding of Labour law including safeguarding;
The team is small but expanding so if you have the right experience and excellent communication and interpersonal skills to support the teams with their amazing work, we would like to hear from you.
Please send an email with a CV and statement of interest (neither exceeding 2 pages of A4) in English to [email protected] no later than 9 October 2022. The subject of the application should read ‘HR and Logistics Officer, Kenya’.
At LAW we are strengthened by the diversity of our colleagues reflecting the people and communities that we represent and support. Our team includes many nationalities with diverse professional backgrounds, skills and knowledge. This enables us to deliver and understand the cultural and political contexts on the ground and to tailor our support effectively and appropriately.
Child Safeguarding Statement
LAW will uphold the highest consideration for the safety and protection of children are in place whereby all applicants will be require to undergo relevant vetting processes (which may include police criminal background checks, subject to local jurisdiction) and when starting employment with LAW, to sign a declaration stating there in no reason or event that would render them unsuitable for the post and declaring ant criminal conviction or ongoing criminal prosecutions against them.
LAW reserves the right to follow up on references with any previous employer to seek referees considered view and opinion on the candidate’s suitability to be contacted with children. The successful applicant will only be offered a position subject to: (a) satisfactory and suitable references; (b) proof of qualifications; (c) relevant vetting/clearance procedures; and (d) positive proof of identification.
All staff joining LAW, agrees to families themselves with the safeguarding policies and comply fully with its standard and code of conduct. Staff are required to be vigilant and aware of risk to children. Staff are also responsible to report and suspected or known concerns and also to participate fully in any safeguarding investigation if requested. Furthermore, staff are required to participate in annual training on safeguarding/child protection.
- Job City Nairobi