John Snow, Inc. (JSI) seeks highly qualified and accomplished public health leaders and providers for the awarded United States Agency for International Development (USAID)/PEPFAR-funded Supporting an AIDS-Free Era (SAFE) Project in Zambia. The five-year project which is led by JSI in partnership with Abt Associates, mothers2mothers, and the Catholic Medical Mission Board, works to reduce HIV mortality, morbidity and transmission, while improving nutrition outcomes and family planning integration in three provinces: Central, Copperbelt, and North-Western. USAID/PEPFAR SAFE will work with the GRZ, private sector and civil society institutions at the national, provincial, and district level to increase access to ART for HIV positive adults and children, reduce the incidence of new infections, improve Nutritional Assessment, Counselling and Services (NACS) and family planning services, and increase the capacity of local health institutions to better serve affected populations.
The Human Resource Director is responsible for the smooth and successful operation of a project’s human resources department. HR Director will supervise and provide consultation to management on strategic staffing plans, compensation, benefits, training and development, budget, and labor relations. An HR Director is also expected to take a leadership role in developing a culture that enables employees to perform in accordance to the project’s objectives.
HR Director should effectively plan, design, develop and evaluate human resource-related initiatives that support project strategic goals. In addition, HR directors can lead performance management and effective labor relationships.
- Develop organization strategies by identifying and researching human resources issues; contribute information, analysis, and recommendations to the project strategic thinking and direction; establish human resources objectives in line with the project objectives.
- Provide oversight and technical guidance in the areas of recruitment, benefits and welfare administration, employee relations, policies and procedures;
- Develop, implement, and ensure regular update on all HR policies, process and procedures to adhere to rules and regulations;
- Supervise the HR team both the Central and Regional Offices;
- Manage and supervise the performance management system and mentor staff to ensure high levels of motivation, commitment, capacity and teamwork, performance development plans (PDPs), and employee development programs.;
- Work closely with line managers to ensure the timely implementation of a performance improvement process with non-performing employees.
- Keep the Senior Management team informed of significant problems that jeopardize the achievement of the projects’ goals, and those that are not being addressed adequately at the line management level;
- Identify and monitor the organization’s culture so that it supports the attainment of the project’s goals and promotes employee satisfaction;
- Assist the DFO to manage remuneration process and ensure adherence and implementation of the Local Compensation Plan (LCP)
- Supervise the management, monitoring and tracking of all costs related to HR activities to ensure costs are within budget and are paid timely
- Oversee payroll validation on a monthly basis.
- Maintain and ensure the employee manual is current and up to date throughout the life of the Project;
- Supervise the electronic staff timesheet system in leave day tracking, payroll processing and other related activities and ensure timely recording and approval of timesheets
- Supervise the maintenance of personnel files and all HR record keeping ensuring that the department documentation is audit-ready at all times.
- Assist the senior management team in ensuring HR policies/procedures are being implemented properly and consistently in the office, and assist in implementation of all HR related policies and procedures, when needed; and
- Oversee and coordinate disciplinary issues and serve on the disciplinary committee including providing support to the quick and just resolution of disciplinary any issues.
- Assist Senior Management team in identifying staff training needs assessment, new employee orientation or on boarding, management development.
- Recommend changes in benefits offered when required, especially new benefits aimed at employee satisfaction and retention.
- Ensure company compliance with all existing JSI, governmental and Zambia Labor Law Legislation such as the Employment Act, Minimum Wages and Conditions of Employment
Required Qualifications and Skills:
- Minimum of Bachelor’s Degree in HR Management, Public/Business Administration or equivalent;
- Generic MBA or Master’s Degree HR Management is required
- A professional qualification in HR is an added advantage
- Demonstrated experience in managing, supervising a team and exceptional leadership skills required
- A minimum of fifteen (15) years’ experience related work experience. Experience with USAID funded projects an added advantage.
- Good working knowledge of local Labour Laws, policy interpretation and benefit administration;
- Strong working knowledge of HR principles and accepted practices;
- Ability to initiate and implement activities with minimal supervision, and manage multiple tasks simultaneously;
- Superior attention to detail; organisational skills; planning skills; problem-solving skills; analytical skills and critical thinking skills
- Excellent computer skills in a Microsoft Windows environment. Must include Excel and skills in HR database management and record keeping.
- Active Registered member of the Zambia Institute of Human Resource Management (ZIHRM); and
- Excellent communication skills, resourcefulness including organization and problem solving skills.
Interested candidates should submit their resumes and cover letters online by 02/02/2020:
JSI is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer committed to workplace diversity. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunities for all qualified applicants and employees without regard to age, race, color, national origin, ancestry, creed, religion, gender, disability, marital status, gender identity, sexual orientation, sexual preference, genetic information, political affiliation, or protected veteran status in any employment decisions. M/F/V/D
If you are an individual with a disability, or a disabled veteran and unable to apply online for an available position, you may submit your request for reasonable accommodation by calling Human Resources at 617-482-9485.
Please read this notice entitled Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law*, and this “EEO is the Law” Poster Supplement* \”>https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/OFCCP_EEO_Suppleme…)*.**
- Job City Lusaka