Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants. IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Applications from qualified female candidates are especially encouraged.
Human Resources Officer (P2)
Core Functions / Responsibilities
Under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission (COM) in Somalia, the direct supervision of the Senior Resource Management Officer (SRMO) for IOM Somalia in Nairobi, Kenya, and in coordination with the Human Resources (HRM) unit at Headquarters (HQs), the Regional Office in Nairobi, the Manila Administrative Centre (MAC) and the Panama Administrative Centre (PAC), the successful candidate will be responsible for monitoring, supporting and coordinating the human resources functions of all offices in the IOM Somalia Mission.
- Review and monitor Human Resources Management services in the mission in accordance with the Organization’s HR rules, regulations, policies, procedures and practices and in light of project activities in the region.
- Supervise the maintenance of personnel files and attendance records of international, national and sub-contracted staff in the Mission.
Page 1 / 43. Facilitate the maintenance and upkeep of the mission’s HR / Training database, and in conjunction with the Security Unit, track staff abidance of all mandatory and recommended security briefings and trainings.
- Maintain an effective working relationship with the service provider contracting and administering field-level staff working on behalf of the Mission.
- Coordinate recruitment processes in the mission in close liaison with the SRMO and provide support to the Mission in filling the appropriate staff vacancy needs, ensuring that relevant recruitment procedures are effectively and swiftly applied and that selected new staff are sufficiently briefed, including through an appropriately updated “Welcome Package”, and able to assume functions at the Mission in a timely fashion.
- Evaluate the mission’s staff training and development needs and suggest possible improvement areas in collaboration with HRM/Staff Development and Learning (SDL). 7. Ensure timely and regular implementation of the Mission’s Staff Evaluation System (SES) and encourage and provide guidance for the timely completion of the performance management process in line with the organizational deadlines.
HR Policy and Advisory
- Provide verbal and written explanations to Project Managers on staffing and other personnel issues, including leave entitlements/planning and overtime administration. Ensure regular updates to the Mission’s organogram/staffing table and contact lists, including those of sub- offices.
- Propose to the management appropriate and effective administrative procedures reflecting the mission’s needs. Apply IOM’s Human Resources policies, rules and regulations in the mission.
- Coordinate with HQs, MAC and the Finance team on issues related to the benefits and entitlements to international staff in the field.
- Supervise the administration and timely renewal of the visas and residence permits. 12. Attend external meetings as and when required and brief management accordingly. PRISM HR Administration
- Monitor the contractual situation and the administration of entitlements of local staff. 14. Supervise the preparation of the monthly payroll for national staff and ensure its accuracy and timeliness. Assume the responsibility for PY Posting and work in close coordination with other staff in order to validate and verify the payroll simulation before the monthly pay run and posting of national staff payroll in PRISM HR.
Monitoring and Reporting
- Assist the SRMO in the reparation of administrative reports that may be required in coordination with the Heads of Units/ Programmes.
- Discuss audit recommendations on HR matters and in coordination with the SRMO, implement them upon instruction within the HR function.
- Draft sections of special reports and participate in HR projects in coordination with MAC, PAC and/ or HRM HQs.
Page 2 / 418. Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications And Experience
- Master’s degree in Human Resources, Business Administration or a related field from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience; or
- University degree in the above fields with four years of relevant professional experience. Experience
- Experience in human resources management, recruitment, organizational development;
- Experience in field emergency operations;
- Good knowledge of IOM/ UN human resources and financial policies and staff rules and regulations;
- Excellent organization skills; analytical and creative thinking;
- Working experience in developing countries an added advantage;
- High level of computer literacy with experience in HR IT systems and applications; working knowledge of SAP is an advantage.
Fluency in English is required. Working knowledge of Arabic is an advantage. Desirable Competencies:
- Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms;
- Client Orientation – works effectively well with client and stakeholders;
- Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others;
- Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience;
- Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services;
- Leadership and Negotiation – develops effective partnerships with internal and external stakeholders;
- Performance Management – identify ways and implement actions to improve performance of self and others;
- Planning and Organizing – plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
- Professionalism – displays mastery of subject matter;
- Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation;
- Technological Awareness – displays awareness of relevant technological solutions;
- Resource Mobilization – works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs of IOM
- Job City Nairobi