The United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (UNOCHA) is the part of the United Nations Secretariat responsible for bringing together humanitarian actors to ensure a coherent response to emergencies. OCHA also ensures there is a framework within which each actor can contribute to the overall response effort.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: ICT Officer
Job ID: 32817
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Practice Area – Job Family: Management – Information and Communication Technology
Vacancy Type: FTA Local
Posting Type: Common System
Contract Duration: 1 Year with possibility for extension
- OCHA’s mission is to mobilize and coordinate effective and principled humanitarian action in partnership with national and international actors in order to:
- Alleviate human suffering in disasters and emergencies
- Advocate for the rights of people in need
- Promote preparedness and prevention
- Facilitate sustainable solutions.
- In December 1991, the General Assembly adopted Resolution 46/182 designed to strengthen the United Nation’s response to both complex emergencies and natural disasters.
- In addition, it aimed at improving the overall effectiveness of the UN’s humanitarian operations in the field.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Under the guidance and direct supervision of the Administrative Officer or Head, Admin & Finance, the ICT Officer manages ICT services, develops and implements ICT management systems, provides information management tools and technology infrastructure in medium and large Country Offices.
- The ICT Officer is responsible for review of and advice on the use of new technologies that will enhance the CO productivity. The ICT Officer promotes a client-oriented approach.
- The ICT Officer heads the ICT Team and supervises staff in the team. The ICT Officer works in close collaboration with the Front Office, Management Support and Business Development, Programme and Operations teams in the CO and OCHA sub-office staff for resolving complex ICT related issues, liaises with OCHA HQ IMB-ISS various Teams and in principal with ISS Field Support Unit (FSU).
- The ICT Officer is receiving ICT technical guidance and standards to be applied from OCHA HQ-IMB-ISS.
Summary of Key Functions:
- Implementation of ICT strategies and introduction/implementation of new technologies
- Development of information and documentation management system
- Management of CO hardware and software packages
- Networks administration
- Provision of web management services
- Facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing.
Ensures implementation of ICT strategies and introduction and implementation of new technologies, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Full compliance with corporate information management and technology standards, guidelines and procedures for the CO technology environment.
- Analysis of the requirement and elaboration of internal policies and procedures on the use of ICT.
- CO ICT business processes mapping and elaboration/establishment of internal Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) in ICT management, control of the work/lows in the ICT team.
- Participation in the office business process re-engineering activities and ensure that business needs drive IT solutions related to corporate resource management.
- Provision of advice on and assistance in procurement of new ICT equipment for the CO and projects, provision of technical specifications and information on best options in both local and international markets.
- Development and update of the ICT annual plan and road map. Development and update of the business continuity plan, disaster recovery plan, ICT infrastructure and training plans. Follow up on their implementation.
- Leadership of the ICT team for effective and client-oriented services.
Ensures development of information and documentation management system focusing on the achievement of the following results:
- Development and implementation of CO information and documentation management system by using OCHA’s corporate applications and tools.
Manages CO hardware and software packages, focusing on the achievement of the following results:
- CO hardware and software platforms meet OCHA’s corporate standards.
- Provision of advice on maintenance of equipment and acquisition of hardware supplies
- Supervision of the implementation of corporate OCHA systems.
- Ensures efficient networks administration, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Monitoring of the computing resources to provide a stable and responsive environment.
- Operation of network utility procedures defining network users and security attributes
- Establishing directories, , configuring network printers and providing user access.
- Timely upgrade of LAN infrastructure and Internet connectivity to meet OCHA requirements as per corporate standard.
Impact of Results:
- The key results have an impact on the overall efficiency of the Country Office including improved business results and client services.
- Forward-looking ICT management has an impact on the organization of office management, knowledge sharing, and information provision.
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s degree in Information Systems, Information Management or Bachelors with four years of experience in, Computer Science or related discipline.
- Cisco Certified Network Engineer (CCNE) and Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer (MCSE) is required.
- 2 years of relevant working experience, including development and implementation of ICT strategies, management and supervision of ICT services and teams, hardware and software platforms, telecommunications facilities, knowledge of Windows-based packages/application ns, experience in Share Point
- Experience in the UN Common System or other international organization is desirable.
- Fluency in English is a requirement.
- Knowledge of another UN official language and national language of the duty station would be desirable.
- Demonstrates commitment to OCHA’s mission, vision and values.
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability.
Knowledge Management and Learning:
- Shares knowledge and experience and provides helpful advice to others in the office.
- Ability to develop systems for structuring, codifying and providing access to information and knowledge.
Development and Operational Effectiveness:
- Ability to lead planning and reporting
- Strong analytical skills
- Ability to provide ICT support services including ICT hardware/infrastructure support, , other IT applications support and maintenance,
- Excellent knowledge of PC/LAN operating systems, Microsoft Office 365, corporate ICT security and viral protection systems, knowledge of network administration and maintenance.
- Ability to provide input to business process re-engineering, elaboration and implementation of new systems.
- Excellent supervisory skills.
Leadership and Self-Management:
- Focus on results for the clients and respond positively to feedback.
- Consistently approach work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude.
- Demonstrate openness to change and ability to manage complexity.
- Reports to internal and external clients in a timely and appropriate fashion
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines
- Establishes, builds and sustains effective relationships within the work unit and with internal and external clients
- Responds to client needs promptly.
Promoting Accountability and Results-Based Management:
- Gathers and disseminates information on best practice in accountability and results-based management systems.
Important Applicant Information / Notice
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply
- UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
- UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
- The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
- Job City Abuja, Nigeria