Medecins Sans Frontieres is a private, international organisation. The organisation is made up mainly of doctors and health sector workers and is also open to all other professions which might help in achieving its aims. Medecins Sans Frontieres provides assistance to populations in distress, to victims of natural or man-made disasters and to victims of armed conflict. They do so irrespective of race, religion, creed or political convictions.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: IECHP Manager (Information Education Communication Health Promotion Manager)
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Contract Period: Indefinite
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Defining and updating the HP/IEC strategy and related activities through annual project and budget plan (objectives, target population, campaigns, messages, activities, specific actions, etc.).
- Assessing knowledge of the target group on a health risk and analysing the context (local culture, traditions, habits, health perception) to adapt health activities and support the social mapping (villages, populations, actors), Identifying indicators in order to monitor HP activities results and achievement and using the concrete tools to measure and follow up those activities
- Assessing, developing and adapting IEC/HP materials according to the needs of the project. Ensuring content and format have been pre-tested with target groups in order to ensure the adequacy, relevance, full understanding of the messages. Leading focus-group discussions with target groups in order to ensure the adequacy, relevance, broadcasting and full awareness of the messages, ensuring they are worded in a pedagogic manner
- Liaising with other relevant actors (national and International NGO’s , authorities) also involved in prevention activities, analysing interventions and building cooperative relationships and advocacy, in order to enhance the influence of the campaigns and messages and to improve awareness among the targeted population;
- Ensuring regular collaboration and coordination with the MSF medical team, to guarantee that the HP is part of medical activities and contribute to the medical objectives of the project
- Knowing protocol(s) for Sexually Gender Based Violence (SGBV) and ensuring its application. Identifies possible victims of SGBV and referring them to the medical team for treatment according to protocol(s)
- Supervising the IEC/HP team and their activities, in and outside health facilities, reporting difficulties and progress as well as adapting format and content when necessary. Planning and supervising the HR associated processes (recruitment, training, evaluation, development and internal communication) of the IEC / HP staff of the project.
- This will be done in close coordination with the HR department, the administration manager and project coordinator and according to MSF vision, values and procedures. Ensuring that HP/IEC participates in counselling services when needed, specially including Prevention Parent to Child Transmission (PPTCT) and Voluntary Counselling and Testing (VTC)
- Participating in the monthly reports according to guidelines (SitReps, statistical reports, etc.)
MSF Section/Context Specific Accountabilities
- Keeping close contact with the community leaders/TBAs/Traditional healers/traditional barbers and religious leaders to create good relationship between Communities in Maiduguri and MSF. Organizing quarterly and emergency meeting as the situation may be.
- Studying protocol(s) made available for the project and ensuring its application, participate in writing and updating various SOPs (TB, HIV, Wet-Nursing, Non-Respondent etc) and implementation recommended to Health Promotion.
- In collaboration with the laboratory, organize blood donation outreach and follow-up blood availability in the blood bank, to monitor the pool of blood donor and with the help of the HP in-charge update the list.
- Update, review and monitor the Health Promotion Objectives and set indicators to measure the departmental objective, these objectives includes the number of sessions in the communities, in the facility and for staff, others include home visits/escort, reducing the number of defaulter/absentees, gathering important information like WATSAN and health seeking behaviours in the communities etc
- To explain better the peak and the low season/hunger gap, conducting food security/Market assessment quarterly considering that the focus of the project is malnutrition which is related to food.
- Giving technical support to the outreach Health promotion team and to the Health Promotion team of emergencies like Cholera and measles as the case may be.
- Capacity building of the team through proper coaching of the Health Promotion team, mentoring the Health promotion supervisor to fill in the gap of the manager in the absence of the manager, also developing different staffs on specialization.
- Writing of the HP monthly situational reports, quarterly report and the annual report
- Carrying out of Focal group discussion (FGD) and other assessment as the case may be
- In close collaboration with the Advocacy Manager, report needs of the community and the patients that MSF cannot provide which may be a non-health needs
Minimum Required Skills and Qualifications
- Essential, university degree in social sciences, social communication, health promotion or related studies
- Essential, working experience of in related jobs (health promotion, project coordination, social research), preferably with MSF
- Experience in qualitative research is a plus.
- Essential computer literacy (word, excel and internet).
- Fluency in English is required. Fluency in Hausa or Kanuri language desirable.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their application, including cover letter, resume, copies of relevant certificates, NYSC certificate / exemption Letters and mention the position on the envelope to: [email protected]
Submit their Hard Copy to: MSF Belgium Human Resources Office FORI Cv Box using “Application – IECHP Manager” as the subject of the email.
- MSF is an equal opportunity employer, both men and women are encouraged to apply.
- Please note only short-listed candidates will be notified and invited for interview; MSF Belgium takes this opportunity to thank all potential candidates for their application.
- Job City Maiduguri, Borno