Position Title : Information Management Officer
Duty Station : Khartoum, Sudan
Classification : Professional Staff, Grade P2
Type of Appointment : Fixed term, one year with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 21 November 2019
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading
UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and
non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. Read more about diversity and inclusion at IOM at www.iom.int/diversity.
Applications are welcome from first- and second-tier candidates, particularly qualified female candidates as well as applications from the non-represented member countries of IOM. For all IOM vacancies, applications from qualified and eligible first-tier candidates are considered before those of qualified and eligible second-tier candidates in the selection process.
For the purpose of this vacancy, the following are considered first-tier candidates:
- Internal candidates
- Candidates from the following non-represented member states: Antigua and Barbuda; Cabo Verde; Comoros; Cook Islands; Cuba; Djibouti; El Salvador; Fiji; Gabon; Grenada; Guinea-Bissau; Guyana; Holy See; Iceland; Kingdom of Eswatini; Kiribati; Lao People’s Democratic Republic (the); Latvia; Libya; Marshall Islands; Micronesia (Federated States of); Montenegro; Namibia; Nauru; Palau; Papua New Guinea; Saint Kitts and Nevis; Saint Lucia; Saint Vincent and the Grenadines; Samoa; Sao Tome and Principe; Seychelles; Solomon Islands; Suriname; The Bahamas; Timor-Leste; Tonga; Tuvalu; Vanuatu
Second tier candidates include:
All external candidates, except candidates from non-represented member states.
Under the overall supervision of the Head of Migration Management and Development (MMD) unit, the direct supervision of Return & Reintegration Officer, and in close coordination with the European Union (EU)-IOM Joint Initiative for Migration Protection and Reintegration (EUTF) Programme Manager, the successful candidate will be responsible for coordinating and implementing the information management initiatives under the European Union Emergency Trust Fund (EUTF) programme, including supporting the management of the IOM’s Migrant Management Operational Systems Application (MiMOSA), and providing technical support to research and assessment efforts as defined by the JI programme and overall migration management portfolio.
- Support the roll out and application of MiMOSA web and mobile in Sudan, for the use in EUTF funded migrant protection and reintegration programming, in close coordination with the Headquarters (HQ) and the Regional Project Management Site in Nairobi.
- Oversee and assist the MMD unit with the compilation of regional case management data, including for regular reports required by HQ, RO Cairo as well as donors.
- Provide technical guidance and support/train Migration Protection and Assistance (MPA) field staff in information management. Support the expansion and ensure consistent use of MiMOSA across the Country office (CO), in line with relevant instructions, Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) and internal guidance notes.
- Contribute to the design, development and implementation of reporting solutions to enhance the utilization of MiMOSA and other corporate software solutions using existing IOM standards, meeting the requirements of internal and external stakeholders; work to include migrant assistance data in visual analytic applications.
- Provide technical support to the implementation of the research and assessment efforts defined by the JI programme; this includes labour market assessment, community mapping of areas affected by high return and reintegration rates/numbers, and profiling exercises of the different categories of the migrant population.
- Support the effective implementation of the capacity building pillar of the JI programme, which focuses on establishing governmental platforms to collect, manage, and refer for return and reintegration support to relevant governmental counterparts.
- Contribute to the design and implementation of capacity building activities aiming to enhance the availability and quality of migration data reported by the National Bureau of Statistics (NBS), in close liaison with the IOM Regional Data Hub and relevant regional and global entities.
- Develop ad-hoc migrant assistance data collection activities as needed to ensure accurate and reliable data is collected, stored, and submitted in a timely manner to be further processed.
- Participate in the effective implementation of the migration management portfolio; contribute to the regular monitoring as per agreed timelines; draft project status and progress reports.
- Regularly liaise and coordinate on EUTF Information Management (IM) efforts and overall MPA data processing, managing, and analysis initiatives with the Regional Data Hub (RDH) and Regional Office Cairo to facilitate synergies and support the establishment of a regional migration flow baseline.
- Ensure that the implementation of the information management systems and application adhere to Information and Communications Technology (ICT) Standard, and IT Policies and Guidelines.
- Supervise staff in the IM unit organizing and streamlining the workflows to ensure proper use of MIMOSA.
- Regularly coordinate with the Displacement Tracking Matrix (DTM) project coordinator, to maximize data triangulation, data sharing, analysis and narrative of the migration trends at the country and regional level.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
• Master’s degree in Information Management, Computer Science, Information Technology, Statistics, Software Engineering, Management Sciences or Business Studies or a related field from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience; or
• University degree in the above fields with four years of relevant professional experience.
• Experience in Information Management, management and coordination of information flows, data management including collection, storing, processing, and analyzing data to generate information products;
• Extensive experience in developing and deploying n-tier web-based applications using C,
.NET and software support and maintenance processes; NET and software support and maintenance processes; • Extensive knowledge of Relational Database Data analyses and reporting; of modular and scalable systems, and software development lifecycle
• Experience in Project Management methodologies (certification in PRINCE2 or PMI an advantage);
• Demonstrated ability for leadership in the context of partnership building and consensual decision-making;
• Ability to formulate IM-related technical requirements and Operating Procedures;
• Ability to translate planning-specifications into technical briefs for data capture and analysis, and vice versa;
• Knowledge of data protection principles guidelines and experience with handling confidential data;
• Demonstrated team-building and information management skills;
• Demonstrated understanding of different data collection methodologies;
• Experience in developing and implementing visualization reports / dashboards with PowerBI
and SSRS 2012 Report Server;
• Familiarity with configuring Microsoft SharePoint, its web parts and creating workflows an advantage and,
• Experience in emergency humanitarian operations would be an advantage;
IOM’s official languages are English, French and Spanish.
For this position, fluency in English is required (oral and written). Working knowledge of Arabic, French and/or Spanish is an advantage.
1 Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
• Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
• Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
• Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
• Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
• Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
• Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
• Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
• Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
• Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link. https://www.iom.int/sites/default/files/about-iom/iom_revised_competency_framework_external.pdf
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
This selection process may be used to staff similar positions in various duty stations. Recommended candidates endorsed by the Appointments and Postings Board will remain eligible to be appointed in a similar position for a period of 24 months.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 21 November 2019 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
IOM only accepts duly completed applications submitted through the IOM e-Recruitment
system. The online tool also allows candidates to track the status of their application. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For further information please refer to: www.iom.int/recruitment
From 08.11.2019 to 21.11.2019
IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training or other fee). IOM does not request any information related to bank accounts.
Requisition: VN 2019/295 (P) – Information Management Officer (P2) – Khartoum, Sudan (56226177) Released
Posting: Posting NC56226178 (56226178) Released
- Job City Khartoum