UNOPS supports the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to serve people in need by expanding the ability of the United Nations, governments and other partners to manage projects, infrastructure and procurement in a sustainable and efficient manner.
Working in some of the world’s most challenging environments, our vision is to advance sustainable implementation practices, always satisfying or surpassing our partners’ expectations.
With over 7,000 personnel spread across 80 countries, UNOPS offers its partners the logistical, technical and management knowledge they need, wherever they need it.
A flexible structure and global reach means that we can quickly respond to our partners’ needs, while offering the benefits of economies of scale.
The internship is learning and working opportunity that targets fresh graduates. The intern will assist the senior programme manager in the Infrastructure team to efficiently and effectively manage Infrastructure projects and support to the Ethiopia Multi Country Office (EMCO). The intern will be exposed to practical learning and working experiences that foster development of his /her path. The Intern will work full time and follow the same working hours as UNOPS employees.
- Construction management and quality control;
- Writing proposals and technical reports;
- Supporting in the quality and design review process.
Provide support on achievement of the following results:.
- Assist with implementation of infrastructure projects in Ethiopia, Sudan & Djibouti by providing project teams with advice and technical support (AutoCAD and technical drawings, quantities calculations, cost estimates, etc).
- Help EMCO Director and relevant managers with developing infrastructure-related proposals with various partners, including UN, government entities, etc.
- Assist the project mangers in the production of the tender documents for construction projects.
- Help project managers in the analysis and the technical evaluation of bids.
- Assist project managers to manage the design plan ensuring deliverables are available on time, and to the required quality.
- Help project managers to manage ongoing projects (progress meeting organization, schedule updates, reporting).
- Ensure that work required from infrastructure/works engineers are completed in a timely manner, including identification and addressing of potential delays, quality matters, and cost overruns.
- Assist the Infrastructure Team Leader with coming up with recommendations to overcome issues and risks relating to infrastructure projects.
- Work with project managers and Procurement unit to provide supervision of project work progress and quality for on-time project delivery through various national & international suppliers. Ensure quantity/quality control and time schedule consistency.
- Verify that works are consistent with the project technical specifications and inform promptly of eventual deviations. Help monitor contractor activities in the project site, including bill of quantities (BoQ) is in line with the approved contract and design documents.
- Support review of requests for new construction and rehabilitation works. Help conduct needs assessments, organize preliminary and feasibility studies, required for finalization/launch of projects.
- Assist project managers to outline design requirements (e.g. timeline) to procure design services, including concept, preliminary and final stages where applicable. Work with the project manager and Procurement unit to prepare tender and solicitation documents, including technical documents such as drawings, BoQs, etc. Work with Procurement unit to review tenders/bids from a technical point of view.
- Assist in providing training and technology transfer to national personnel and contractor’s personnel and advice on good construction practices, good environmental management practices, and appropriate health and safety standards during construction
- Perform other duties as assigned by the senior programme manager.
- Bachelor Degree in Civil Engineering.
B. Work Experience
- Applicants are not required to have professional work experience.
- Applicants should have graduated from the above stated field within three (3) years prior to the applications date of the internship.
C. Language Requirements
- Fluency in written and oral English and local language is required.
- Job City Addis Ababa