The International Organization for Migration (IOM) – Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
Intern (Project Assistant)
SVN No.: CFCV2019.69
Organizational Unit: Migration Management
IOM Classification: Internship
Type of Appointment: 6 months Internship with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Slot: 2 Openings
- Irregular migration along the Central Mediterranean route is increasingly dangerous for migrants. Crossing the Mediterranean to Italy is by far the deadliest route, with 1 death recorded for 35 arrivals (IOM, 2016). In addition, over 70% of the migrants interviewed by IOM on their arrival in Italy report that they were victims of trafficking or other exploitative practices during their migratory journey along the routes of the Central Mediterranean.
- To meet these challenges, the European Union (EU) and the International Organization for Migration (IOM) have developed the Joint Initiative for Migrant Protection and Reintegration in Africa (hereinafter “Joint Initiative”). Complementing this Programme, IOM is also planning to implement additional projects that aim to protect the security, dignity and rights of returning migrants from along this important and dangerous migration route and to help improving the reintegration of returnees through an innovative approach. This will be achieved through different types of interventions including protection and assistance to vulnerable and stranded migrants, assistance for voluntary return, and support for sustainable reintegration in the communities of origin, the dissemination of accurate information on migration to migrants, potential migrants and communities, and the collection of data on migration flows. The Initiative and complementing projects will aim at strengthening the technical and material capacities of the authorities and organizations involved in these areas so that they can ultimately take over policies and programmes related to the protection and reintegration of migrants in the region, with a view to improving the governance of migration in the region.
- Working under the direct supervision of the National Programme officer (MM), and overall supervision of the Programme Manager MMU, the successful candidate will contribute to the implementation of the AVRR/AVM Programme in Nigeria.
Core Functions / Responsibilities
- Assist in the day-to-day implementation of AVRR grants and any other related projects.
- Assist in tracking the implementation of integration and /or reintegration assistance.
- Assist in distributing travel allowances and return grants to returning migrants, as appropriate.
- Assist in completing the beneficiary profile, needs assessment formats and then codify and store information into a database.
- Assist in reviewing conditions of the business plan as pertaining to the AVRR program and raise any issue.
- Assist in field visits to the beneficiaries’ business sites and assess developments thereof of grants.
- Assist in documenting and filing all beneficiaries’ data in a database for reference and update it regularly.
- Assist in the preparation and timely submission of monthly monitoring reports.
- Assist in digitizing and encoding information into database and MiMoSa.
- Assist in the implementation of awareness raising against irregular migration in some selected migrants communities.
- Assist in the general support to the assessment of the qualitative and quantitative impact of grants and community projects.
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Students approaching the end of their studies and preparing a thesis, or recently graduated, between 19 and 36 years old, who have less than two years of relevant working experience.
- Students holding a scholarship for internship placements in international organizations and/or for whom internship is required to complete their studies;
- Students sponsored by governmental/non-governmental institutions and/or academia to work on specific areas relevant to both IOM and the sponsor;
- Background in Social Work, Law, Economics, International Development, International Relations, business administration and other related Social Sciences
- Experience in related field is advantageous
- Fluent in English, Working knowledge of local language
- The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 1
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
- Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
- Only candidates residing in the country of the duty station within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered.
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates are invited to submit their Applications via email to: [email protected] indicating position applied on subject line
- In order for the applications to be considered valid, IOM only accepts applications with a cover letter not more than one page specifying the motivation for application, addressed to Human Resources, International Organization for Migration (IOM) and with a subject line CFCV2019.73 Lagos. INTERN (Project Assistant-Data Management)
- All applications should include a functional email address, mobile numbers and detailed curriculum vitae (CV).
- Please note that this position is open only to Nigerian National applicants and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- Job City Abuja