Position Title: Interpreter Support Assistant
Reports To: Interpreter Supervisor
Division: Immigration & Refugee Program+ (IRP+)
Department: Cultural Orientation, Programs
Job Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Grade Level: Grade 3, Assistant, National
Introduction: Church World Service (CWS) is a not-for-profit, faith-based organization transforming communities around the globe through just and sustainable solutions to hunger, poverty, displacement and disaster. CWS does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, gender identity, genetic information, age, disability or veteran status in employment or in the provision of services.
The position is responsible for increasing and maintaining quality standards in the proper use of Interpreter Management System (IMS) Database, the Child-minder Management System, Interpreters in both Pre-screening and USCIS interviews, in pre-departure orientations, and translating written materials into the key languages of our refugee populations, and Child-minders in Cultural Orientation.
- Updates and maintains the RSC Africa Interpreter and Child-minder database.
- Develops resources for use by Interpreters/ Child-minders and RSC staff to further improve the efficient and effective use of contract Interpreters/ Child-minders.
- Conducts training, testing, observations (Prescreening interviews and Cultural Orientation classes), and supervision of the Interpreters, both in the field and in Nairobi on a regular basis.
- Participates in Pre-screening, USCIS, and Cultural Orientation Circuit Ride (CR) briefing and debriefing to provide expertise on Interpreters.
- Provides in-house training to RSC staff on how to effectively working with Interpreters/Child-minders. Submits monthly reports on the status of activities.
- With guidance from the Interpreter Supervisor, provide training to Contract Interpreters/Child-minders in sub-Sahara Africa.
- Assist the Interpreter Supervisor, plan, execute and support Interpreter/Child-minder Training and Monitoring circuit rides.
- Assist the Interpreter Supervisor monitor, respond and manage the Interpreter mailbox. This includes ensuring professional communication with USRAP partners on Contract Interpreter.
- Provide support to Program Integrity Specialist on Contract Interpreter investigation and requested support as assigned by the Interpreter Supervisor.
- Interprets into/from English in/from at least one of the following languages: Amharic, Congolese Swahili, French, Kinyarwanda, Kirundi, Oromo, or Somali.
- Translate materials as required/ requested.
- Coordinate with Date Integrity to develop reports related to Interpreters Management.
- Work closely with Program Integrity Specialist to ensure RSC Program Integrity Guidelines on Interpreters (both required and recommended) are implemented, adhered to, and reported appropriately.
- Maintains a current knowledge of the United States Refugee Admissions Program.
- Travels periodically to field locations throughout sub-Saharan Africa.
- Performs other duties that may be assigned to enhance the efficiency and efficacy of the operation.
Written and verbal knowledge of at least one of the main RSC Africa processing languages required. (Amharic, Congolese Swahili, French, Kinyarwanda, Kirundi, Oromo, or Somali.)
1.5 years’ experience as an Interpreter or as a Coordinator of Interpreters preferred.
Three (3) year’s work experience required
Supervisory experience preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and deliver quality training programs.
- Demonstrated computer skills for Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Internet.
Education & Certifications:
High School diploma is required for this role
- Manage large and diverse workload under pressure with competing priorities. – Maintain the integrity of official records; – Analyse and solve complex problems and make sound decisions; – Work with minimal supervision – Maintain a high performance standard with attention to detail; – Work independently and contribute to overall operations of RSC Africa; – Actively participate in the implementation of the U.S. Refugee Admissions Program (USRAP).
- Strong English communication skills, both written and oral.
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment required.
- Commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion and willingness to support CWS’ Platform on Racial Justice as a CWS employee required.
- COVID Vaccination is strongly recommended for all successful candidates
- The candidate should be of good health, willing and able to travel extensively in often difficult conditions, and have a high degree of flexibility. Must have proof of Yellow Fever vaccination before traveling for RSC Africa
- This position is based in Nairobi, Kenya
- This position requires use of laptops at all time, competence in Microsoft office packages is required.
- This position may require travel in sub-Saharan Africa on short notice and under sometimes difficult conditions to meet demands of a dynamic operational program
- Background check which includes references and an educational and criminal check is required before the start of employment for International applicants.
- A valid passport and the ability to maintain a valid passport throughout the entire appointment is required, which includes having enough passport pages for travel.
- Physical: This position requires bending, squatting, crawling, climbing, kneeling, sitting, standing, walking, pushing/pulling, handling objects (manual dexterity), reaching above shoulder level, using fine finger movements and lifting/carrying heavy loads.
- Environmental: Incumbents in this position will be exposed to excessive noise, marked changes in temperature and/or humidity, dust and infectious diseases, harsh weather climates, long work hours, bumpy roads, extended travel, excessive sun exposure, and non-ventilated spaces.
- Full time
- All employees should be prepared to work from the CWS office within their location of hire. Remote work arrangements may vary depending on location and the governing rulings regarding the COVID-19 pandemic
- Any other special requirements
- Job City Nairobi