Nuru International Ethiopia is a US-based international NGO working to end extreme poverty in rural Ethiopia. Nuru’s first integrated development project in Ethiopia began in 2012 in Boreda Woreda, GamoGofa Zone, and SNNPR. Nuru currently works in four integrated intervention areas—Rural Livelihoods, Healthcare, and Education. We are currently seeking qualified candidates for the position of Leadership and Training Program Manager who can manage the Leadership Program, create and oversee our training curriculum and provide strategic guidance to the Country Director. The Leadership and Training Program focuses on building effective leaders across the organization and communities in which Nuru works.
Provide technical and leadership training, design curriculum, and guide facilitation techniques for Impact Program and Cooperative teams and ensure an integrated training approach among all departments and actors. Position will focus on establishing and achieving Leadership and Training Program strategy and goals, and ensuring they are aligned with Nuru’s vision and integrated with Impact and Cooperative programs.
S/he will be responsible for overseeing the management of the Leadership and Training Program. S/he will coordinate with training teams, upper-level staff, cooperative and impact program managers and other stakeholders to ensure all Nuru Ethiopia trainings are implemented effectively and meet the needs of the participants. Under the supervision of the Country Director, the Leadership and Training Program Manager will work to train the Nuru Ethiopia staff and cooperative members on relevant leadership-focused topics to build effective leaders throughout the organization and community.
Further, s/he will oversee that all training and capacity building curriculum promotes Nuru’s values, servant leadership, and feedback culture.
Leadership and Training Program Manager Responsibility
Training and Curriculum
- Coordinate the writing and revising of leadership training materials to meet immediate and future training needs in the project; make recommendations for improvements and changes to training content, methodology, and framework
- Support Impact and Cooperative programs in designing participatory and effective training content for cooperative members, cooperative leaders, government officials, and Nuru Ethiopia staff
- Oversee successful integration of leadership training philosophy and core competencies with impact programs’ training materials
- Ensure that training activities are consistent with Nuru’s leadership and community development philosophy
- Observe and collect feedback on the effectiveness of training content and methodology.
- Write and prepare documents and training materials aimed at sharing the leadership program externally
- Adhere to Nuru International’s curriculum design process to ensure that best training and curriculum design practices are incorporated into all program-related training activities
- Set and achieve short and long term goals related to the program; track progress toward meeting pre-determined program milestones and leadership indicators.
- Manage the Leadership and Training program budget efficiently under the supervision of the Country Director.
- Create and manage yearly and quarterly roll out plans and oversee monthly and weekly planning for leadership staff.
- Accomplish the goals of Nuru Ethiopia and the Leadership program in a sustainable and inclusive way.
- Successfully manage the Leadership and Training program by making strategic decisions to help the program grow and accomplish its goals.
- Develop high level program strategy including, but not limited to, curriculum development, facilitation techniques for Nuru Ethiopia staff, cooperative capacity building, and staff development.
- Update the leadership logic model to meet current needs and use data and feedback to effectively monitor and evaluate program activities to ensure leadership’s interventions are meeting goals.
- Collaborate and communicate effectively with Nuru Ethiopia Country Director, Impact Program Managers and Leadership and Training Strategic Advisor on long-term strategic planning and milestone completion.
- Manage relationships with partner organizations contributing to or collaborating with the Leadership program
- Coordinate with all other Nuru Ethiopia programs to create training schedules and ensure they are followed.
- Represent Nuru Ethiopia/Leadership to stakeholders such as the general public, government, donors etc.
- Collaborate with M&E and Admin to gather leadership evaluation data
- Manage the Training Officers and oversee the success and management of their activities
- Develop the Leadership team’s capacity as training facilitators and curriculum developers
- Report to the Country Director
- Preparation and timely submission of weekly, monthly, and quarterly reports on the progress of Leadership Program activities
- Visit the field to observe other Nuru programs a minimum of two times per month.
- Represent the Leadership program among Nuru farmers and at cooperative or other programmatic meetings as required.
- Coordinate training spot checks to ensure quality control of Nuru’s trainings
- Be proactive and act independently on the guidance and intent prescribed.
- Accept constructive feedback and guidance and react accordingly to improve performance.
- Give constructive feedback to direct reports, peers, advisor, and manager in a thoughtful, concise and actionable manner.
- Demonstrate a good balance between humility and self-confidence in your leadership style.
- Efficient and effective problem solver.
- When you identify a problem that is not time sensitive, brainstorm possible solutions.
- Able to operate effectively in high stress situations.
- Prepare for meetings – know what you want to say and how you want to say it before going into a meeting and always bring all relevant materials to the meeting.
- Respect others’ resources and time – be on time.
- Hold your team or those working with you accountable for their actions – set expectations up front.
Job start date: November 10, 2018
Report to: Nuru Ethiopia Country Director
Terms and conditions: The appointment will be for long-term fixed employment based on annual contract extensions depending on performance.
- Bachelor’s Degree holder and above in a relevant field including project management, sociology, social anthropology, education, philosophy, community development or other related field; Master’s preferred.
- At least 5-7 years of management experience in a similar program focused on rural capacity development, management, and leadership.
- Proven track record of effective curriculum writing and successful facilitation.
- Experience with provision of training in the specific areas of leadership, and programmatic area (agriculture, financial inclusion, cooperative, healthcare, and/or education) in rural environment is an asset.
- Excellent critical thinking skills and demonstrated experience with strategic planning and execution.
- Experience in project management, including financial management and capacity development for direct reports.
- Fluency in English and Amharic is required; knowledge of operational areas and local languages (Gamugna or Wolaytigna) is advantageous.
- Effective written and oral communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to operate in both office and field setting and a desire to work in a rural setting.
- Advanced computer skills (Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Internet, Google Apps, etc.).
- Commitment to the Nuru Ethiopia vision of ending extreme poverty in rural areas of Ethiopia.
- Basic understanding of servant leadership principles and willingness to grow in this area.
How to Apply
interested applicants who meet the MINIMUM requirements should send either by soft copy or hard copy the following documents:
- A detailed CV (not more than 5 pages)
- A cover letter (not more than 1 page)
- A one-page table summarizing your educational background, work experience, technical skills and competencies to facilitate the screening process.
Nuru is committed to providing equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, age, disability with respect to policies and visions. NURU IS AN EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY ORGANIZATION AND FEMALE CANDIDATES ARE HIGHLY ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.
- Job City Arba Minch, GamoGofa Zone