DRC has been providing relief and development services in the Horn of Africa since 1997. Using a human rights framework, the DRC Somalia operations focuses mainly on people who are affected by displacement, including refugees, internally displaced, and migrant.
Danish Demining Group (DDG) is a specialized unit within DRC which implements mine action and armed violence reduction (AVR) programmes. DDG’s mandate is ‘to create a safe environment free from armed violence and the remnants of conflict’, and DDG does this via a programmatic focus on four key sectors: Security Systems Reform, Small Arms and Light Weapons (SALW) management, Mine Action and Conflict Management.
Overall Purpose of the role:
Under the direct supervision of the program manager and technical supervision The livelihood officer under the by the Restore Project Team Leader (Livelihoods Team Leader) the livelihoods officer is responsible for facilitating the planning and implementation of SomReP-RESTORE at the community level and will ensure that all proposed objectives and targets are achieved and reported. S/he will mobilize community and provide guidance on good practices related to Village Savings and Loans Associations (VSLA), community managed Microfinance Institution, facilitate establishment of saving groups, delivers trainings on business management skills and life skills.
- Facilitate the conduction of community entry activities including gender climate vulnerability capacity analysis (GCVCA) in target villages to define community gaps, existing capacity and provide basis for planning.
- Customize SomReP-RESTORE implementation strategies and work plans (annual/quarterly/monthly) to ensure effective implementation of VSLA & BDS activities in target locations as outlined in detailed implementation plan. This includes, PSP model, Push-Pull market system, PMERL.
- Facilitate the identification, formation and capacity building of local structures (VSLA, IGA groups, livestock marketing groups/cooperatives, financial institutions and marketing groups) in the target villages to smoothly deliver program interventions.
- Facilitate beneficiary identification in consultation with communities & local leaders
- Identify technical capacity gaps and problems faced by the beneficiaries and Village Agents and train them on good practices and innovations related to Village Savings and Loans, BDS, marketing cooperatives/ organization.
- Coach and mentor the Village Agents for effective facilitation/support of VSLA, IGAs and BDS activities
- Strengthen the capacity of partners – local government, associations and cooperatives in implementation and managing of VSLA, IGAs, VST and BDS activities
- Facilitate organization of exposure/exchange visits and any other events for the beneficiaries to foster learning and experience sharing.
- Prepare periodic project reports (monthly, quarterly, annual) and other reports requested.
- Assist that the knowledge, experience and lessons learned on the projects implementations are documented, validated and disseminated to the donors and communities through communication, workshops and meetings.
- Monitor and evaluate DRC SomReP-RESTORE activities through regular field visits by conducting regular community meetings to maintain progress.
- Perform any other tasks assigned to him/her by supervisor
Education, experience & technical competencies
· University degree in Economics, Agricultural economics, rural development or similar social Minimum of 3-5 years’ relevant experience on resilience and livelihood activities in post conflict areas
· Have hands-on experience on community Micro-finance, business facilitation skills, VST and SME
· Adequate skill on Market and value chain development skills
· Experience in working with local communities, community mobilization and coordination with local authorities. Demonstrated excellent communication and interpersonal Skills-Good facilitation skills
· Solid experience (minimum of 3 years) from working in pastoral, agro-pastoral and peri-urban livelihood zones in Somaliland context.
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’s five core competencies:
· Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
· Collaborating: You are a strong networker and enjoy working with many different types of stakeholders, you involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
· Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while balancing the role of advisor and taking leadership
· Communicating: You write and speak effectively and honestly and display political and cultural sensitivity, including ability to adapt well to local cultures
· Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with our vision and values.
Availability: 1st July 2019
Duty station: Hargeisa
Reporting to: Program Manager
Duration: 6 Months with Possibility of extension
Contract: This position is graded as G5 (NM-H) for qualified national staff and the terms of employment will be in accordance with DRC terms for national staff.
THE POSITION IS OPEN TO NATIONALS ONLY.
Gender Equality: DRC is committed to achieving gender parity in staffing at all levels. In light of this, women candidates are particularly encouraged to apply to bridge the gender gap.
Equal Opportunities: DRC is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity and we are committed to creating an inclusive environment based on mutual respect for all employees. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, sex, disability status, religion, ethnic origin, color, race, marital status or other protected characteristics.
- Job City Hargeisa