NRC in Ethiopia is looking for a Livelihoods and Food Security Specialist to lead the development of the Ethiopia Livelihoods and Food Security (LFS) Core Competency Strategy. This is an advisory role, which provides technical leadership across the country programme; represents NRC externally, provides advice, support and capacity building to LFS project implementation teams, and ensures quality programming.
The position is based in Addis Ababa with approximately 50% travel to the field.
Duties and responsibilities
- Lead development of the Ethiopia Livelihoods and Food Security (LFS) Core Competency Strategy, in line with global and regional strategies; and contribute to NRC’s Ethiopia Country Strategy
- Contribute to identifying funding opportunities, and develop and revise funding proposals, budgets and donor reports
- Provide technical leadership and project implementation support
- Provide systematic training and build capacity of technical staff, in approaches including cash-based interventions and market based programming
- Represent NRC in relevant forums/clusters, including with national authorities and donors, and coordination platforms
- Ensure quality implementation of Livelihoods & Food Security initiatives appropriate to the context through field support, capacity building, development of tools and also participating in M&E activities
- Contribute to the institutionalization of cash-based interventions and market based programmes though capacity building, guidance/ SOP development and interdepartmental engagement across all CCs and support functions.
- Scope, facilitate and encourage innovative approaches to programming in the country office
*A full Job Description can be found on our website*
- Minimum first level university degree in related field.
- Minimum 4 years of experience within technical expertise area in a humanitarian/ recovery context
- Experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
- Expertise in Livelihoods & Food Security; and other Core Competencies/thematic areas is desirable
- Knowledge and skills in market analysis, cash-based interventions and market based programmes
- Political and cultural awareness
- Context knowledge and/or prior experience in the Horn of Africa and in Ethiopia particularly is required.
- Experience working in a similar position or role in similar contexts is an asset.
- Solid experience in leading livelihoods and food security assessments particularly in protracted crises is required
- Experience of leading multi-sectoral market assessments and analysing the findings will be an asset
- Strong experience in resilience programming including natural resource management and nutrition sensitive programming is required
- Experience working in financial inclusion, including small business support, value chain analysis, private sector engagement, M4P approaches and savings groups is an asset
- Significant experience in multi-sectoral Cash Based Interventions (CBIs) and coordination is required
- Experience in Youth Programming is desirable
- Excellent engagement and representation skills at all levels both internally and externally is required.
- Fluency in English, both written and verbal
- Handling insecure environments
- Strategic thinking
- Empowering and building trust
- Initiate action and change
We can offer
- Duty Station: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
- Travel: 50% travel within Ethiopia
- Contract Period: 12 months, with possible extension
- Salary/Benefits: Competitive compensation and benefits package. All staff in Ethiopia are liable to pay income tax
- An approved health clearance will be required before commencement of the contract.
- NRC may be required to verify the identity of its partners and employees to check they have not been involved in illegal activities. NRC reserves the right to use electronic screening tools for this purpose.
- Job City Addis Ababa