World Vision is a global Christian relief, development and advocacy organization dedicated to working with children, families and communities to overcome poverty and injustice. We are a community of close to 40,000 staff working across the world to help change the lives of vulnerable children. Our supporters, partners and staff join forces with communities on the ground to help children enjoy good health, be educated for life, experience the love of God and their neighbors and be cared for, protected and participating in addressing issues that affect their lives. World Vision has been active in Zimbabwe since 1973. Our operations are spread across 9 out of 10 provinces, with a majority of over 1.75 million beneficiaries in rural areas. Our current programs focus on improving the well-being of boys and girls in three priority sectors: health and nutrition, livelihoods and education. We also focus on child protection, gender and disabilities, emergency assistance and resilience building as cross cutting priorities across our programs. If you share the same vision, JOIN US and contribute to life in all its fullness for the children and communities we serve.
POSITION: LIVESTOCK SPECIALIST – ENTERPRIZE CONSORTIUM
Purpose of the Position
The Livestock Specialist will coordinate all livestock related activities and provide technical guidance to the ENTERPRIZE consortium to implement and provide technical guidance and oversee the implementation of livestock production models and innovations, manage activities aimed at improving communities’ resilience to shocks and hazards related to large and small livestock. The candidate will need to take a long-term view to ensure that the methods promoted and devised with program beneficiaries will lead to improved resilience without resorting to unsustainable practices that cannot be maintained beyond the life of the funding. The Livestock Specialist will work in collaboration with other sector specialists, district coordinators, government and report directly to the Consortium Team Leader.
- Support districts in the delivery of livestock extension training to smallholder farmers and ensure training is relevant and meets quality standards.
- Identify constraints and issues related to agricultural extension with focus on livestock and take mitigation action to ensure the successful and timely completion of all activities that contribute to project results.
- Provide regular technical back-up to the project field personnel to ensure technical compliance.
- Spearhead the implementation of activities related to feed formulation, small livestock breeding and similar themes.
- Strengthen and further develop commercial production of value chains that include goat, cattle, poultry and aquaculture among others.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Degree in Animal Production or Animal Health related agricultural technical discipline. Advanced degree will be an added advantage
- At least 6 years of relevant experience in Zimbabwe livestock production context
- Thorough knowledge and practical skills of community livestock production and management practices, livestock breeding and improvement, feed improvement, animal health and disease management.
- Experience in designing and implementation livestock initiatives in the past
- Experience in strengthening livestock value chains and other market based approaches.
- Good team working skills and ability to adapt to a highly versatile work environment
- Experience in working in the NGO sector in close collaboration with government stakeholders
Good organizational skills, ability to work independently and under pressure
- Job City Harare