FHI 360’s Crisis Response Department is seeking a Logistics Coordinator responsible for, and accountable for, the delivery of all logistics related activities in accordance with the organization’s logistics policies and procedures for Tigray response. He/she will establish all logistics aspects to support the project delivery in resource-scarce and highly insecure environments. He/she will lead country-assessments, including supply chain management, purchasing, facilities, and fleet management. He/she will serve as the procurement specialist and will be responsible for developing and standardizing operations processes and systems in accordance with home office guidance and directives.
Based in Mekelle, this duty station has been designated as high risk and poses a heightened risk or direct threat to personal safety. Applicants should research this location and the associated risks before submitting an application.
- Develop standard protocols for essential logistic processes, including procurement requisitions, warehouse management, and commodity dispatch. Special emphasis to be placed on establishing international and in-country pharmaceutical and medical equipment supply-chains, including importation, handling, and dispatch to field.
- Identify, establish, and manage facilities in emergencies, including office, residence, warehousing, and other critical infrastructure.
- Determine transportation requirements, secure transportation assets, and manage fleet allocation, including fuel, maintenance, and driver pool.
- Establish and maintain asset and inventory registry in the field, including equipment allocation & maintenance, and dispose of assets in accordance with donor regulations.
- Ensure logistic and procurement activities are properly documented and fully adhere to United States Government (USG) export compliance as well as destination country importation & customs regulations and relevant protocols.
- Collaborate with HQ support departments and the AD, Finance and Operations to identify logistics process bottlenecks and develop solutions appropriate for operations.
- Determine field operating costs allocated to logistics and procurement, including expense forecast and pipeline analysis.
- Identify staffing requirements and supervise logistics personnel for the response.
Applied Knowledge & Skills:
- In-depth knowledge of humanitarian procurement, budgeting, and supply chain management best practices.
- Experience with relevant USAID/OFDA policies and regulations.
- Capable negotiator, with significant and geographically varied experience establishing contracts, managing vendors, and ensuring products/services are delivered per specifications.
- Knowledge of international donor procurement regulations and United Nations (UN) coordination experience essential; expertise with fraud detection and investigation techniques necessary.
- Strong interpersonal skills and display evidence of good leadership and influencing skills.
- Ability to interact professionally with culturally and linguistically diverse staff and clients.
- English fluency required; fluency in the local language a plus.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills and be comfortable participating both as an effective contributor and a listener in group settings which include senior staff.
- Well-organized, resourceful, effective and efficient at coordinating multiple resources to get things done and must have proven track record of successfully working on multiple tasks at once and foresees and plan around obstacles.
- Demonstrated sensitivity in diverse, cross cultural settings.
- Works on problems of complex scope that require analysis and in-depth evaluation of variable factors.
- Erroneous decisions or recommendations may cause critical delays or modifications to projects or operations.
- Ability to exercise judgment that contributes to the organization’s business strategies and develops objectives that align with department’s strategic goals.
- Must be able to provide accurate, expert level advice to reach outcomes that will enable achievement of overall department and organization goals.
- Demonstrates a responsive, professional attitude that is solution oriented.
- Decisions and actions have a serious impact on the overall success of the function.
- Regularly interacts with senior management and HQ based staff.
- Leads by “managing managers” or other direct/indirect reports in the region/functional area.
- Ability to motivate, mentor, and empower individuals to achieve expectations and goals set for the functional unit.
- Provide input on country/project staff performance reviews.
- In coordination with senior management, hire/terminates country/project staff.
- Reports to the Deputy Response Coordinator, Programs.
- Bachelor’s Degree or its International Equivalent in Supply Chain, Logistics, Economics, Finance, Engineering or Business Administration.
- Master or other advanced degree preferred.
- Certification and/or Degree in logistics and/or supply-chain management preferred.
- Typically requires 3-5 years’ experience managing logistics for a humanitarian program.
- Experience working in a complex emergency environment.
- Prior work experience in a non-governmental organization (NGO), government agency, or private company of progressive program management experience in humanitarian assistance or related industry experience in a relevant technical area.
Typical Physical Demands:
- Typical office environment.
- Ability to spend long hours looking at computer screen and doing repetitive work on a keyboard.
- Ability to sit and stand for extended periods of time.
- Ability to lift 5 – 50 lbs.
- Ability to travel to remote field site locations that lack basic essentials.
- Candidate must be in good physical condition and understand that medical care is not readily available at duty station.
Technology to be Used:
- Computer, Microsoft Office 365 (i.e. Word, Excel, PowerPoint, e-mail), office telephone, cell phone and printer/copier.
How to Apply
Applications must be prepared in English and sent electronically by 10 March 2021. Please send by email to [email protected] with subject line “Health Coordinator – Crisis Response”.
- Job City Tigray