Catholic Relief Services
Europe/Middle East and Central Asia Region
Position Title: Monitoring Evaluation Accountability and Learning (MEAL) Field Officer
Department: Education Program
Compensation Band: Band 5**
Reports to: MEAL Senior Project Officer, Education Program
Country/Location: CRS Maadi Office, Egypt
Catholic Relief Services is the official international humanitarian agency of the Catholic community in the United States. CRS works to save, protect, and transform lives in need in more than 100 countries, without regard to race, religion or nationality. CRS’ relief and development work is accomplished through programs of emergency response, HIV, health, agriculture, education, microfinance and peacebuilding.
Catholic Relief Services (CRS) works in a wide variety of areas within the humanitarian and development fields, regardless of race, creed, religion, or gender, to advance our mission to assist the poor and vulnerable. Our team reflects this diversity. The CRS Egypt country program began in 1956 at the invitation of the Egyptian president Nasser by providing relief assistance to the victims of the Suez War. Over the following few decades, CRS Egypt moved from large-scale food relief to long-term poverty alleviation and development programs.
Currently, CRS Egypt has three main programs: livelihoods, interfaith peacebuilding, and education assistance for refugees. Projects under these programs range from the provision of technical assistance and capacity building to partners, the promotion of peace and tolerance, the provision of educational grants for refugees, and the protection and safeguarding of children.
The Education Program supports over 50,000 refugee and asylum seeker children with access to basic and higher education opportunities through a financial grant program and improves the quality of education received by students through a variety of complementary educational programs and initiatives to improve the learning outcomes of students. These two components of the annual program require a substantial full-time staff as well as consultant volunteers who assist in project implementation periodically throughout the year.
You will assist in the project’s MEAL activities implementation, under the supervision of the MEAL Senior Project Officer, by working directly with partners, vendors, refugee communities, and host communities coordinating various project MEAL activities and events in support of CRS work to serve the refugees and asylum seekers in Egypt. Your service and community relations skills will ensure that the partners and communities feed into and benefit from the project that consistently applies best practices and continuously works towards improving the education opportunities available for refugees and asylum seekers in Egypt.
Job Roles and Responsibilities:
· Support the implementation, coordination and monitoring of project MEAL activities at the field level, ensuring implementation schedules are met as per the detailed activity plan, and that adherence to systems for quality project implementation are strengthened.
· Coordinate communication and facilitate information sharing among the project team, partners, project beneficiaries and other stakeholders in strengthening the refugee communities’ interests, involvement and support networks.
· Collects quality data using MEAL tools on a timely basis.
· Manages the education program database to ensure accessibility and reliability of information.
· Contributes to reflective community-based conversations on ongoing project interventions.
· Shares insights and perspectives based on observations and interactions with community members, colleagues and stakeholders.
· In coordination with the project team, support capacity building events for project beneficiaries, partners and other relevant stakeholders.
· Support compliance with agency and donor MEAL requirements. Provide input to MEAL system design and review discussions.
· Contribute to simple analyses and reflective discussions on ongoing monitoring data. Contribute initial findings and implementation-based insights to project discussions.
· Other related duties, as assigned
Education and Experience
· Bachelor’s degree in international relations, education, economics, or a related field
· Two years of work experience in MEAL management, including both quantitative and qualitative data collection, analysis, and interpretation
· Experience utilizing ICT4D tools and approaches to improve project management
· Demonstrated experience working in community development and mobilization; additional education may substitute for some work experience
· Experience with word processing and data entry into online databases and forms
· in MS Office package (Excel, Word, PowerPoint) and information management systems; proficient in Word
· Good time management skills with ability to work on multiple tasks
· Good relationship management skills and the ability to work closely with local partners and community members
· Proactive, resourceful, solutions-oriented and results-oriented
· Observation, active listening, and analytical skills with the ability to make sound judgments
· Attention to detail, accuracy, and timeliness in executing assigned responsibilities
Required Languages: Excellent command of English and Arabic.
Travel Required: Job requires approximately 20% travel to field (defined as outside of Cairo metropolitan area, including Upper and Lower Egypt) to implement and assist partners and follow up on projects. More frequent travel required to sites within Cairo metropolitan area.
Key Working Relationships:
Supervisory: Volunteers (if any)**
Internal: All CRS Egypt country staff education; specifically, all Education Team members, Education Program Administration Team, and CRS support functions (finance, procurement, IT, HR, and Admin)
External: Community Members, Ministry of Education in Egypt, donor representatives and donor Implementing Partners
Agency-wide Competencies (for all CRS Staff):
These are rooted in the mission, values, and guiding principles of CRS and used by each staff member to fulfill his or her responsibilities and achieve the desired results.
· Continuous Improvement & Innovation
· Builds Relationships
· Develops Talent
· Strategic Mindset
· Accountability and Stewardship
Disclaimer: This job description is not an exhaustive list of the skill, effort, duties, and responsibilities associated with the position.
CRS’s talent acquisition procedures reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation.
CRS is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
- Job City Cairo