The International Organization for Migration (IOM) is one of the largest humanitarian and development actors in Somalia. IOM’s Migration Health Division (MHD) is implementing emergency health and nutrition projects across 12 regions of Somalia, in addition to health systems strengthening programming and medical support for migrants and returnees. IOM MHD in Somalia is managed from the mission’s head office in Mogadishu, with support provided by the Nairobi sub-office.
Cutting across both humanitarian and development programming, MHD has expanded significantly during the past year. In this context, IOM is recruiting a global health intern based in the Nairobi sub-office. Working under the overall direction of the Health Programme Coordinator, the intern will provide specific and cross-cutting support to the ongoing and new health and nutrition projects implemented by MHD.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND ACCOUNTABILITIES
- Assist with preparation of donor reports, administrative and programme updates
- Develop communication and visibility materials for different types of internal and external stakeholders, including quarterly program newsletters, case studies, etc.
- Assist with the development of new projects and expansion of existing projects in health and nutrition
- Produce technical, situational, and statistical reports on health activities
- Liaise with Nairobi-based health stakeholders including UN agencies and NGOs, and represent the health unit in external meetings in Nairobi as assigned
- Assist with monitoring and evaluation of projects, including development of tools and systems for different projects, as well as operational and formal public health research activities
- Assist with tracking and monitoring of the supply chain for health and nutrition in Nairobi, specifically procurement and transport of medical commodities
- Assist with operational aspects of the programme in coordination as assigned
- Undertake all other tasks as may be assigned
Required Qualifications and Experience
- University Degree or above in field related to global health or public health
- High level of computer literacy (MS Office Word, Powerpoint, Excel, Outlook).
· Strong written and presentation skills: ability to compile and synthesize information from different sources into reports, proposals and technical documents
· Ability to multi-task, and to work independently to achieve tasks with limited daily supervision
· Strong interpersonal and oral communication skills; ability to work with a diverse group of stakeholders
· Ability to work independently with limited day-to-day operational support
· Experience working in healthcare settings is an advantage
· Experience in monitoring and evaluation is an advantage
Fluency in English
• Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive
• Client Orientation – works effectively well with client and stakeholders
• Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others
• Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience
• Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services
• Leadership and Negotiation – develops effective partnerships with internal and
• Performance Management – identify ways and implement actions to improve performance of self and others.
• Planning and Organizing – plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
• Professionalism – displays mastery of subject matter
• Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation.
• Technological Awareness – displays awareness of relevant technological solutions;
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable.
Interested candidates should submit CV and a cover letter indicating the Call for Application Number (CFA No.), Position Title and the Duty Station with three professional referees and their contacts
From 12.11.2019 to 25.11.2019 (both email and telephone) to: [email protected]
- Job City Nairobi