World Health Organization (WHO) is the directing and coordinating authority for health within the United Nations system. It is responsible for providing leadership on global health matters, shaping the health research agenda, setting norms and standards, articulating evidence-based policy options, providing technical support to countries and monitoring and assessing health trends.
We are recruiting to fill the vacant position below:
Monitoring & Evaluation Officer
Job Ref No: 2000123
Contractual Arrangement: Temporary appointment under Staff Rule 420.4
Contract duration: 12 months
Objectives of the Programme
- The objective of the EPI programme is to support national authorities to provide high-quality immunization services that will contribute to:
- The reduction of mortality, morbidity and disability from vaccine-preventable diseases through the optimum use of available and new vaccines; and
- The strengthening of national health systems as well as efforts to achieve the Sustainable Development Goals.
- Evidence generation and monitoring of quality implementation of activities is indispensable for effective program implementation. This can be insured by having a strong monitoring and evaluation system at all levels with strict implementation of Accountability Framework (AF). To achieve this objective the WHO M&E officer at the zonal level will be tasked with activities at zonal and state level and provide evidence driven information for actions aimed at supporting the zone/states to:
- Ensure availability of quality, timely, and complete information that guides the surveillance and immunization program;
- Monitor effective and systematic implementation of the program and individual performance through the established AF;
- Provide evidence through the timely utilization of different data available and guide the program;
- Support the Zonal Coordinator in conducting review meetings and documentation.
Description of Duties
Under the overall guidance of the WHO Country Representative, overall leadership of EPI Focal Point, Monitoring and Evaluation Officer at the national level, and direct supervision of the Zonal Coordinator, the incumbent coordinates all data management, monitoring and evaluation activities at the assigned Zone and field level. The Officer reports programme progress achieved to the Zonal Coordinator and the Monitoring and Evaluation Coordinator at national level. The officer will work closely with national authorities as well as partners. Some of the activities to be performed by the incumbent include:
- Support the WHO-Nigeria Zonal and State offices to prepare, implement, monitor and evaluate work-plans in line with national priorities, strategies and plans.
- Assess trends and outcomes relating to achieving the National Plan of Action (NPA) goals in Polio eradication and other vaccine-preventable diseases;
- Support regular performance reviews of Zonal and State technical teams and the preparation of performance improvement plans wherever necessary;
- Oversee the data management protocols with an aim to improve quality, accessibility, timeliness and relevance of technical data in close collaboration with the national data management team.
- Oversee the coordination and deliverables of the Zonal WHO data management system
- Prepare quarterly programme status reports required for management, donors, budget reviews, programme analysis, annual reports, etc
- Support monitoring and evaluation, and accountability framework system in the country/zone through systematic information exchange from the central level to the field regarding disease surveillance, routine immunization, and SIAs (Polio and non- Polio) along the WHO system.
- Lead the conduct of periodic surveys in the program (such as NICS, post campaign coverage surveys)
- Conduct supportive supervision and validation on regular basis.
- Systematically document technical performance of professional staff and provide periodical report to the Zonal Coordinator and central Monitoring and Evaluation unit for management decision to enforce accountability
- Support activities aimed at strengthening partnership, advocacy as well as resource mobilization in support of improving performance of immunization activities;
- Undertake periodic training need assessment and take part in capacity building activities in support of immunization operations (service delivery, vaccine supply and quality, logistics, surveillance, advocacy and communication), immunization safety and operational research
- Systematically document the capacity building activities undertaken in the zone and share the same to the Zonal coordinator and national M&E unit.
- Document and produce evidence for the resource utilization (financial and human) in line with the program deliverables to make sure that implementation of results should be tied up with the resource deployed. Include this as a critical deliverable in the quarterly report.
- Perform other activities as required by WHO Representative
- Essential: Degree in Medicine (MBBS, MBChB, MD)
- Desirable: Advanced public health degree.
- At least 5 years’ experience in immunization and health system strengthening.
- In depth understanding of the Nigerian health system and routine immunization program.
- Demonstrated capacity to effectively coordinate organizations with good expertise in navigating and strengthening relationships among government and development organizations.
- Extensive experience with large scale health systems strengthening interventions, particularly in the public sector
- Significant experience in strategic planning, organizational development, change facilitation and process management in the health sector
- Experience working with government officials at all levels. Demonstrable experience working with government and partner agencies at national levels is an asset
- Strong managerial, problem-solving skills and experience working under demanding work plans and tight budgets.
- Strong diplomatic and interpersonal relationship skills;
- Strong analytical skills and high-level technical proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint, with ability to use these tools to collect and analyze immunization program data.
- Good business-oriented verbal, visual and written communication skills.
- Fostering integration and teamwork
- Respecting and promoting individual and cultural differences
- Building and promoting partnerships across the organisation and beyond
- Promoting WHO’s position in health leadership
Use of Language Skills:
- Essential: Excellent command of English
- Desirable: Knowledge of other UN language would be an asset
- Please note that the deadline for receipt of applications indicated above reflects your personal device’s system settings.
- This vacancy notice may be used to fill other similar positions at the same grade level
- Only candidates under serious consideration will be contacted.
- A written test may be used as a form of screening.
- In the event that your candidature is retained for an interview, you will be required to provide, in advance, a scanned copy of the degree(s)/diploma(s)/certificate(s) required for this position. WHO only considers higher educational qualifications obtained from an institution accredited/recognized in the World Higher Education Database (WHED), a list updated by the International Association of Universities (IAU)/United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO). The list can be accessed through the link: http://www.whed.net/. Some professional certificates may not appear in the WHED and will require individual review.
- Any appointment/extension of appointment is subject to WHO Staff Regulations, Staff Rules and Manual.
- Staff members in other duty stations are encouraged to apply.
- For information on WHO’s operations please visit: http://www.who.int.
- WHO is committed to workforce diversity.
- WHO’s workforce adheres to the WHO Values Charter and is committed to put the WHO Values into practice.
- WHO has a smoke-free environment and does not recruit smokers or users of any form of tobacco.
- This is a National Professional Officer position. Therefore, only applications from nationals of the country where the duty station is located will be accepted. Applicants who are not nationals of this country will not be considered.
- Job City Bauchi