CONSULTANCY OPPORTUNITIES: STRENGTHENING THE CAPACITY OF AFRICAN PARLIAMENTARIANS, POLICY MAKERS, AND ORGANIZATIONS/INSTITUTIONS TO USE EVIDENCE IN POLICIES AND LEGISLATION (SCAPE) PROJECT**
IMPLEMENTING PARTNERS: United States Department of Agriculture and Foreign Agriculture Services (USDA/FAS); University Of Rhode Island (URI) and Kwame Nkrumah University of Science & Technology (KNUST), Kumasi, Ghana
COORDINATING CENTER: Bureau of Integrated Rural Development (BIRD), College of Agriculture and Natural Resources, KNUST, Ghana
The Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology (KNUST), Ghana, the University of Rhode Island, USA, and the ASSESS project are seeking highly qualified candidates for immediate engagement to implement the SCAPE activity. The Analytical Support Services and Evaluations for Sustainable Systems in Agriculture, Environment and Trade (ASSESS) project is implemented by the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) in partnership with The University of Rhode Island (URI) and Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology (KNUST).
SCAPE Activity Description: The purpose of SCAPE is to strengthen the capacity of select West African parliamentarians, parliamentarian networks/associations, policy makers, and policy-focused organizations/institutions in evidence-based and data-driven legislation and policy making. The expected outcome of the activity is that selected parliamentarians, policy makers, and organizations supported by this activity will be able to effectively perform their functions of oversight, policymaking, advocacy, and national decision-making by ensuring appreciation, demand, and utilization of evaluative evidence and other data from various sources in their daily work. This activity also helps to address the important question of government transparency, accountability, and effectiveness. The overall goal is to promote economic growth and sustainable development in Africa through increased evidence-based and data-driven legislation and policy making. SCAPE will focus on four primary objectives and its associated illustrative activities:
- Increased evidence-based decision-making skills of parliamentarians, policy makers, and
regional and national organizations/institutions engaged in policy advocacy.
· Assessment of current state of use of evidence in legislative and policymaking processes.
· Identification of “evidence champions”
· Virtual regional trainings, including training of trainers, and training for parliamentarians
· and policy makers, regional organizations, and media/journalists.
· A “How To” Guide on Strengthening Evidence-based Legislation and Policies.
· In-country/face-to-face clinics/workshops for parliamentarians and policy makers, regional organizations, and media/journalists.
- Improved strategic planning, monitoring, and oversight of legislative and policy actions.
· Supporting parliamentarian M&E Plans/systems
· Supporting Oversight and Evaluations of Legislation and Policies
· Supporting National Evaluation Policies and M&E Systems
- Increased access to and use of evidence through strengthened platforms for knowledge
sharing and peer learning.
· Strengthening existing platforms
· Developing and disseminating videos, brochures, policy briefs, evaluation syntheses, and
· other sensitization and communication materials
· Webinars and virtual study tours to facilitate experience sharing and networking
- Development of resources and tools that will enable USAID Missions in Sub Saharan Africa
to work more effectively with Parliamentarians to strengthen evidence used in decision
Position 6: Multimedia Specialist (1)
Type of position: Local hire (engaged by Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology, Ghana)**
Expected duration of assignment: September 2021 to 15 September 2022
Hours: Full time**
Location: Virtual, with travel to and within Ghana and West Africa when required**
Salary: To be determined by Experience and Education**
Roles and Responsibilities
Under the direction of the Senior Knowledge Management/Communication Specialists, the multimedia specialist will be responsible for all aspects related to the use of multimedia to improve production and dissemination of communication and materials, including incorporation of photography and audio-video vignettes into reports, policy briefs, brochures, knowledge sharing sites/platforms, webinars, and interviews.**
● Minimum of a Bachelors’ degree in multimedia production/Communication Design or masters’ degree in Communications with concentration in multimedia
● 5-7 years of experience in photography and audio-video production and editing. Particularly, experience synthesizing video content from a variety of sources and producing audio and video clips and podcasts would be a strong asset.
● Experience with 508 (disability accessible) compliance
● Proficiency in English and French (writing/reading/speaking) preferred
How to apply
Mode of Application:
To apply for any of the positions, please email your application pack to Dr Albert Arhin ([email protected]) with a copy to Jacqueline Anyan (Jacqueline.anyan(@knust.edu.gh) and [email protected] Your application should include the following in English:
(i) a cover letter (maximum 1 page)
(ii) a curriculum vitae (maximum 3 pages)
(iii) three names and contact details for persons who are knowledgeable about your capabilities and experience.
(iv) a writing sample (for all positions except the Administrative Specialist/Project Coordinator). Writing sample includes a technical report, journal article, brochure and relevant write-ups related to the position.
Deadline: Open until Filled. Applications will therefore be accepted on a rolling basis.
Note: The project’s Equal Opportunity Policy requires that all decisions regarding hiring of applicants for this position be non-discriminatory, based only on valid job requirements, and extend to all terms, conditions, and privileges of the contract including, but not limited to, recruitment, selection, compensation, benefits, and disciplinary actions.
ONLY SHORTLISTED APPLICANTS WILL BE INVITED FOR INTERVIEWS
- Job City Ghana