Overview of CTG:
- CTG support and manage humanitarian projects in fragile and conflict-affected countries around the world. With past performance in 15 countries – from the Middle East, Africa, Europe, Asia and Central and South America – we offer a holistic fabric of project management, implementation and support. Skilled in emergency response to crises such as the Ebola outbreak in West Africa, we have the ability to act quickly (crisis response teams can be on the ground in 24 hours) and to establish structured operations in high-risk environments. CTG recruit and manage qualified, skilled teams with extensive experience operating in challenging conditions.
Overview of the position:
- IOM is an implementing partner for the FGS national program for the treatment & handling of disengaged combatants. The national program maintains the objective of establishing a comprehensive process that allows for low risk disengaged combatants & women associated with Al Shabab to socially & economically reintegrate into society through transition centres in Kismayo & Baidoa. This support includes the provision of basic education, civic education, religious counselling & life skills, business, financial literacy & vocational training.
- In an effort to counter & prevent violent extremism, deradicalisation curriculum focuses on promoting universal values of tolerance, peace, nationalism, patriotism & acceptance has been developed.
- The 6 module curriculum was drafted in English to allow comprehensive review & then translated into Somali. DDR unit seeks to recruit an experienced Translator to translate the supplementary curriculum for the civic & religious curriculum & prove edited the full 6 module curriculum.
- This contract receives day to day & week to week oversight from the technical staff (Education Coordinator) & other staff. Overall contract performance management is jointly monitored & evaluated by IOM & their govt. partner. IOM will undertake contracting obligations & remuneration.
Under the guidance & direct supervision of the DDR Education Coordinator, the Translator will undertake the following duties & responsibilities:
- Submit prove edited English to Somali translation in word processed documents.
- Translate the gender supplementary curriculum into Somali.
- Provide high quality translation of the curriculum.
- Work closely with the Curriculum Developer & the Education Specialist to ensure accuracy of terms & terminology used in the curriculum.
- Edit & revise translation based on feedback.
- Consult with unit colleagues when required.
- Ensure translation is written to follow similar writing style as the original material with, correct grammar & spelling.
- Complete the work within the agreed timeline & submit the final translation.
- The documents translated remains the copyright of IOM & should not be shared to any 3rd party.
- Observe confidentially & refrain from divulging any information about the content of the text.
The documents to be translate from English to Somali include:
Complementary Islamic perspectives endorsing Civic Education:
- 23 pages.
- 6407 words.
The stories of Somali women: Their inspirational role in nation building & sustained service to the Somali society:
- 38 pages.
- 10891 words.
Prove editing & make changes to the civic & religious curriculum 6 module Somali:
- 159 pages.
- 36,308 words.
- This contract receives day to day & week to week oversight from the technical staff (Education Coordinator) & other staff. Overall contract performance management is jointly monitored & evaluated by IOM & their govt. partner.
- This role does not have any team management responsibility.
- Minimum of 5 year of experience in Africa (essential).
- Diploma of Social Science, Education, or related areas.
- Fluency both in English & Somali. Knowledge of Af-Maay & Arabic is desirable.
- 3 to 5 years of professional translation experience in the relevant area.
- Demonstrated good understanding of technical terms used in areas of history, social psychology, political science & youth.
- Proven skills in translation from & into English & vice versa.
- Fluent communication skill in both English & Somali.
- Strong analytical & writing skills with proven skills in policy recommendations & problem identification & solving.
- Excellent teamwork skills.
- Ability to work independently.
- Excellent computer skills in word & presentation.
- Takes responsibility for action & manages constructive criticism.
- Maintains high customer service standards at all times.
- Identifies ways & implements actions to improve performance of self & others.
- Displays mastery of the profession & conducts oneself in a professional manner at all times.
- Contributes to a collegial team environment.
Other relevant information:
- This vacancy is open to 2nd tier candidates.
- The appointment is subject to funding confirmation.
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements & security clearances.
- Qualified female candidates are encouraged to apply for this role.
- Candidates applying for this role need to share a sample copy of their translation work / skills, without which they will not be considered further for this role.
How to apply
Candidates interested in applying for this role need to register on CTG website as a candidate & apply for this role using the below link:
- Job City Mogadishu