Premiere Urgence Internationale (PUI) is a non-governmental, non-profit, non-political and non-religious international aid organization. Our teams are committed to supporting civilians’ victims of marginalization and exclusion, or hit by natural disasters, wars and economic collapses, by answering their fundamental needs. Our aim is to provide emergency relief to uprooted people in order to help them recover their dignity and regain self-sufficiency.
PUI has been implementing humanitarian activities in Nigeria since April 2016, supporting population with food security, nutrition, health and protection project in Maiduguri and Borno State.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Nutrition Officer
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Starting date: 3rd August, 2020.
- Working under the guidance and supervision of the Nutrition Supervisor, the Nutrition Officer will be directly responsible for implementation of Community Management of Acute Malnutrition (CMAM) or Infant and Young Child Feeding (IYCF) program depending on assignment.
- Responsibilities will include day to day supports to Nutritional activities in the health facilities, mobile health outposts and their catchment communities, monitoring of activities, report making, coordination with other sectors as well as close collaboration with the Nutrition unit at the MOH health facility staff and managers.
Responsibilities and Tasks
- Responsible for the day to day management of Nutrition activities (IYCF or CMAM)
- Working closely with the Nutrition Supervisors and other project teams; support in the identification, recruitment and supervision of the activities of Community Nutrition Mobilisers (CNM) and Mother Care Groups (MCG)
- With technical support from CMAM and IYCF Supervisors conduct trainings to build the capacity of CNMs and the community at large
- Provide technical support to PUI staff, MoH and other humanitarian actors as necessary to promote consistent good practice
- Ensure appropriate and consistent education messaging/behaviour change communication (BCC) to mothers and other carers at OTP and IYCF sites in the community
- Ensure sound and timely data collection based on the existent database systems for ongoing monitoring of Nutrition project activities
- Ensure that all Nutrition activities are consistent with established best practices according to the standardized protocols, policies and guidelines outlined by the Nigeria Federal Ministry of Health (FMOH) and World Health Organisation (WHO)
- Conduct regular supportive supervision to all supported health facilities and catchment communities, provide mentoring and technical support and appropriate feedback as needed
- Work with the nutrition team to ensure the appropriate use of all programme resources under his/her care
- Ensure a good working relationship with all stakeholders involved in the PUI service provision to supported health facilities and catchment communities in Maiduguri Metropolitan Council (MMC)
Specific Objectives And Linked Activities:
- Implement the outpatient therapeutic feeding of severely malnourished under-fives, and community outreach integrated with Infant and Young Child Feeding (IYCF) according to the stipulated protocols
- Train and mentor the nutrition program staff and the integrated community nutrition mobilisers (CNM) through identification of capacity gaps and carrying out refresher trainings and on-the-job trainings
- Disseminate key messages on nutrition to the targeted beneficiaries, and ensure it is delivered appropriately
- Participate in surveillance activities including mass MUAC screening of the under-fives/pregnant and lactating woman based on project needs.
- Enhance close collaboration with Health, Food Security, and Protection and Community Outreach (PCO) at project level
- Compile and submit accurate weekly and monthly project data/reports of all the nutrition activities
- Perform any other duties as assigned by the supervisor
- Education degree: Bachelor’s degree in Medicine, Nutrition, Dietetics, Nursing or equivalent
- Work experience: At least 1-year experience in CMAM and Infant and IYCF in Emergency in host communities or IDP camp settings. Experience in NGO is mandatory
- Language skills: Good command in English,(speaking, reading & writing) Hausa and Kanuri
Knowledge and skills:
- Understanding of nutritional surveillance and information systems
- Proven ability and experience in planning and conducting formal training session on nutrition including CMAM and IYCF
- Ability to deal with relations with local authorities as a nutrition representative of PUI in the working area
- Proven capacity to supervise, train and coach local staff and community workers
- Ability to manage a fair workload including emergencies.
- Interests: Working in humanitarian relief, interest for social issues
- Strong motivation to help people in need
- Ability to adapt or change priorities according to the changing situation within a mission or the organization itself
- Understanding and capacity of integration into the local environment
- Ability to analyze and suggest improvements of the activities
- Well organized and hard worker
- Able to manage stress and pressure
- Understanding of the context of the area
- Able to check validity of information, logical thinking.
- Job City Maiduguri, Borno