SPECIAL VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT
Open to Internal & External Candidates
Operations Assistant (Field support)
|Type of Appointment||Special Short Term, Six months with possibility of extension|
|Estimated Start Date||As soon as possible|
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Internal & External candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy.
ORGANIZATIONAL CONTEXT AND SCOPE
Since the inception of IOM in 1951, Movement Operations have been and continue to be a fundamental pillar of the Organization’s work. The organized movement of persons in need of international migration assistance is a primary mandate of the Organization and a cornerstone of IOM’s operations. This mandate has resulted in the international transport of more than 15 million migrants and refugees worldwide. Movement Operations departments in various IOM missions, coordinated under the division of Resettlement and Movement Management (RMM) in the Department of Operations and Emergencies (DOE) at IOM’s Geneva Headquarters, are responsible for all aspects of travel for migrants and refugees under IOM’s auspices, in accordance with the various framework agreements with resettlement and receiving Governments and partners across the spectrum of the Organization’s programmes.
Under the general supervision of the Chief of mission and the direct supervision of Head of Sub-Office in Gambella and National Operation Officer, the Operations Assistant – Field support is responsible for undertaking Field support activities in the field, with the following duties and responsibilities:
RESPONSIBILITIES AND ACCOUNTABILITIES:
1. Undertake field activities in an assigned area or areas, such as at an airport, transit center, third-party facility, camp-based operation or Sub-Office, or in relation to transportation. As required, monitor and guide teams of Operations Clerks and Operations Assistants in completing field support activities.
2. In coordination with HoSO and National Field Operations Officer, perform airport services when required, such as providing custodial care of travel documentation; verifying identities and documentation, including exit permissions, visas, tickets and other items in the travel bag; assisting with airport formalities, including flight arrivals, curb-side assistance, check-in, luggage formalities, immigration procedures, security screening systems and customs clearance; escorting arriving individuals to ground transportation and departing individuals to their gates; visually confirming flights have departed; ensuring individuals with special needs or equipment receive appropriate support; and, as needed, sending notifications using relevant systems.
3. Assist individuals at transit center or third-party facilities, including upon arrival with sign-in, verification of identity, orientation, food and non-food items and room assignments; during their stay with food and non-food items, instructions, briefings, activities and resolution of issues; and upon departure for medical appointments, return travel or onward travel with briefings, luggage support and transition to transportation. Enter and update relevant data in the appropriate systems and ensure vulnerable individuals are assisted in a manner that ensures their safety, security and comfort; report all issues immediately to the appropriate supervisor(s).
4. Provide assistance at transit Centers and third-party facilities for extended periods of up to 12 hours and during overnight periods and weekends, ensuring the needs of individuals are met throughout their stay. Communicate promptly with third-party facility representatives and/or supervisors if issues arise.
5. Assist in the coordination of transportation from consolidation points, transit Centers and third-party facilities, including liaising with service providers, ensuring the identity verification, readiness and organization of individuals being transported, and providing relevant briefings. Assist with baggage sorting, tagging and handling and escort individuals on transportation as needed. Ensure individuals with special needs are provided with appropriate services and report any issues to supervisors immediately.
6. Provide selection mission support, exit permit support and/or interpretation services for individuals at the airport, in transit Centers, camps, consolidation points and third-party facilities or during transport by air, ground or water.
7. Provide regular feedback on work being accomplished to the Operations Assistant (Team Leader) and/or supervisors and team members and keep supervisors immediately informed of any issues requiring their attention.
8. Maintain and ensure the confidentiality and integrity of all relevant paperwork in line with standards of conduct and data protection rules. Alert the Operations Assistant (Team Leader) or management of any non-compliance to SOPs or codes of conduct by IOM staff members or partners.
9. Maintain and ensure the confidentiality and integrity of all relevant paperwork and periodic reports in line with standards of conduct and data protection rules.
10. Undertake operational escort to refugees and migrants from point of departure till point of arrival
11. Undertake in country and out of country TDY’s.
12. Perform such other duties as may be assigned by supervisor/s
Required Qualifications and Experience
Four years experiences with university Degree in Business Management, Business administration, Social Sciences or related field of study.
· Prior Movement Operations or transportation experience is a strong advantage
· Experience on Hospitality, hotel and transportation service is a strong advantage.
· Refugee programs especially on IOM resettlement and movement management in Ethiopia
· Data recording, handling and reporting.
· Thorough knowledge of English and Amharic
Working knowledge of local languages and languages of refugees in Ethiopia including Somalia, Tigrigna, Arabic and other is an advantage.
Values and Competencies
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
How to Apply
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their application/ motivation letter enclosed with only detail CV written in English via our e-mail address [email protected] by 30th of July 2021, the latest, referring the position title and Vacancy number in the subject line of your email. (Example: Application for Operations Assistant (Field support) (IOM-SVN/0090/2021) no photocopies of educational/training certificates is required at this stage; applicant who doesn’t follow the required application procedure will automatically be disqualified from the competition.
We strongly encourage qualified women to apply!
- Job City Gambela