Conservation International (CI) has been protecting nature for the benefit of all for over 30 years. Through science, policy, and partnerships, CI is helping build a healthier, more prosperous and more productive planet.
CI is a global organization that has been active in Liberia for nearly two decades working closely with communities, private sector, government and civil society leaders to support conservation and sustainable development. With enormous wealth of natural resources, Liberia is at a vital point in its development history and has an opportunity to encourage investors and promote development initiatives that both support economic growth and development while maintaining Liberia’s critical natural capital for future generations. Proper stewardship of Liberia’s resources may prove to be the key to the future well-being of Liberian people.
To this end, CI Liberia is now seeking an Operations Director to oversee the operations function of the Country Office.
DESCRIPTION OF POSITION
Under the supervision of the Country Director, the Operations Director oversees the financial, human resources, and administrative functions of the program. S/he manages the program’s financial, accounting, donor and grant management functions and works to ensure management has the timely and relevant financial information needed to make informed decisions. The Operations Director ensures that sound donor and grant management policies and practices are adopted and implemented. S/he leads budget and revenue forecasting efforts, provides support for fundraising proposals, and develops short- and long-term budgets, financial projections, and strategic plans.
In addition to financial management, the Operations Director oversees the program’s human and operational resources. S/he ensures operation functions are efficient and effective and continually looks for improvements that improve efficiency, productivity and operational capacity. The Operations Director develops and implements guidelines and practices that align operation functions with the program’s business plans and CI’s overall conservation objectives. S/he is accountable for ensuring operational functions are in compliance with CI’s policies and procedures and local reporting and governance bodies. The Director works with program leaders and HQ to implement audit findings.
The Director directly manages operations staff and duties are performed under limited, or as needed, supervision
· Manage the program’s budget and ensure timely and accurate financial reporting. Work with program management to identify and implement follow-up actions when necessary.
· Manage timely and accurate recording of accounting transactions. Ensure compliance with CI policies and procedures and local reporting requirements.
· Manage grants administration and donor reporting, including managing compliance with grants and donor agreements.
· Manage budgeting, reporting and financial compliance of grants and donor agreements.
· Manage annual and ad-hoc budgeting and financial modeling. Support fundraising proposal efforts.
· Ensure the effective and efficient stewardship of CI’s assets and financial resources. Manage program audits and ensure that audit findings are recommendations are addressed and implemented.
· Manage other financial issues that arise, including risk management.
· Prepare and generate monthly, quarterly and periodic financial reports. Review results with senior management
· Provide ad-hoc analysis and projections in support of new funding streams/opportunities, long range financial plans and revenue campaigns
· Oversee the efficient management of accounting, finance and payroll functions. Ensure compliance with internal and external requirements and standards.
· Support training department staff and other users on using the financial system, navigating system upgrades and generating end user reports
· Work closely with Global HR for guidance on people management issues including performance management, merit review, recruiting, staffing and compliance with CI policy and local labor laws. Ensure supervisors receive guidance on all personnel issues.
· Advise management in staffing and strategic planning efforts.
· Develop and implement capacity building efforts and partner with management and HQ to ensure staff are engaged and are able to deliver results. Identify and implement training needs.
· Report on program performance and metric achievement.
· Manage efforts to improve program efficiencies, effectiveness, and alignment. Recommend changes in business processes and structure as needed and oversee internal control processes.
· Set and manage standards related to operational and financial management. Ensure operation roles, responsibilities and work flows are clear and enhance internal client service.
· Support program and system roll-outs.
· Lead the logistics support for all workshops
· Support the contracting of all consultants and contract management
· Support the grant management role including due diligence, financial reviews and partner training
· Ensure proper use and application of CI systems and processes. Liaise with IT to ensure staff can access and use CI’s technology assets.
· Assist in the identifying and addressing issues of high risk.
· Perform related duties as assigned.
· Typical office environment.
· Occasional travel of less than 5% may be required.
· Ability to work extended hours to meet deadlines ns.
QUALIFICATIONS, SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
· Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in Finance, Accounting, Business Administration or a related field. Some post graduate college work studies completed.
· 7 or more years directly related work experience.
· 2-3 years experience supervising the work of others.
· International nonprofit experience.
· Strong analytical skills.
· Strong communication and presentation skills including the ability to effectively convey complex details or technical information.
· Highly familiar with etiquette, protocol, and employing cultural awareness and sensitivity.
· Proven team player.
· Highly organized and ability to manage multiple priorities simultaneously in a dynamic environment.
· Experience in management of operations for an international NGO preferred.
· Professional accounting certification such as ACCA, CPA and CFA an added advantage.
- Job City Monrovia