POSITION: People & Culture (HR) Director
Grade Level : 18
Purpose of the position :
To provide strategic leadership to WV Senegal in the area of people management & organisational development in order to optimize organisational performance, fulfill World Vision’s mission, vision, and core values, and to contribute to the measurable improvement of the well-being of vulnerable children and communities in Senegal.
The P&C Director is primarily responsible for developing and promoting P&C strategy, leadership development and sustainability, staff and organisational well-being, performance and accountability culture, diverse and talented workforce with the right set of mindsets and behaviours, internal and external networking for greater impact and a professional and sustainable P&C function in the organization.
Communicate World Vision’s Christian ethos and demonstrate a quality of spiritual life that is an example to others.
The P&C Director is responsible for the direction, coordination, management and evaluation of the human resources functions and activities for the human resources department, in support of the mission, goals and objectives of World Vision Senegal. Additionally, in conjunction with the Senior Leadership Team, the P&C Director serves in a leadership role to provide strategic and technical human resources services and guidance to all parts of World Vision Senegal.
Ensuring Strategy development and execution
· Provide strategic guidance and input to the senior leadership team in the alignment and execution of the National Office Strategy and business plans with Our Promise.
· Develop and implement the People and Culture (P&C) strategy and business plan in support of and in alignment with country, regional and global strategic priorities.
· Spearhead the monitoring and reporting of people & culture metrics related to talent acquisition, development, retention, partnering for performance, employee engagement and organisational leadership.
· Advise and support the National Director and the Senior Leadership Team (SLT) in engagement on critical issues relating to attraction, development, deployment, retention and separation of staff.
· Serve and contribute as a member of the Crisis Management Team to ensure safety and security of staff. Serve as a member of the National Disaster Management Team, as applicable.
P&C guidance on WV Senegal Strategy alignment, business plan development and execution.
P&C strategy and annual business plan in alignment with global, regional and national strategic priorities.
P&C metrics monitored and reported for efficiency on talent acquisition, development, retention, performance management, employee engagement and organisational leadership.
Active and well-functioning Crisis management and National Disaster management teams with an active participation and contribution from P&C.
Promoting Leadership quality and sustainability
- Build the capacity, depth and breadth of National Office and Projects leadership to meet the evolving leadership needs, to realise Our Promise and to enable transformational mindsets and behaviours.
- Identify and nurture globally, regionally and in-country mobile talent to support leadership and career development, succession planning and retention of high potential managers and leaders in fragile and conflict areas and to prepare a pipeline for future leadership for grants.
- Design and spread head the capacity development of staff to prepare staff to work the required mindset and behaviors in most vulnerable areas
- Design and execute an orientation and on-boarding strategy that will enable staff to understand Our Promise and its implications on World Vision’s work in different contexts, including fragile and prepare with the right mindset and behaviors to address the needs of grants management
Leadership needs addressed.
Mindset and behaviours transformed to realise Our Promise.
Succession planning and Talent management in place.
Potential successors for core and critical positions and HIPOs for future leadership identified and systematically nurtured.
Staff capacity fully developed with a changed mind-set and behaviours to meet organisational needs.
Orientation strategy in place that helps new staff to understand and align with Our Promise, fragile contexts program and grants management.
Ensuring Staff engagement and well-being
- Maximise staff well-being to enable staff to embrace the opportunities and challenges in meeting Our Promise. Contextualise, promote and support systems, services and programs for staff well-being.
- Execute the Our Voice survey and leverage the results to enhance Staff and Organisational Well-being. Together with the senior leadership team, plan and drive measurable improvements in Organisational Leadership, Culture, Agility and Effectiveness.
- Strengthen the quality of Staff Care and Peer Support interventions especially in fragile, response and conflict areas.
- Identify the organisational culture gaps and plan culture change interventions to promote leadership and staff mindset & behaviour changes to deliver our promise to the most vulnerable children.
- Design and execute compensation and benefits strategy, systems and processes in alignment to Our Promise that enable the organisation to attract and retain required staff for fragile contexts;
- Contextualize international assignment benefits package to suit WV-Senegal National Office strategy and budget
Improved staff well-being.
Contextualised support systems, services and programs for staff well-being.
Our Voice survey executed annually.
Action plans developed and executed on organisational leadership, culture, agility and effectiveness.
Staff care and peer support interventions in fragile, response and conflict areas.
Culture change interventions developed and executed to promote mindset and behaviour changes of staff to deliver Our Promise.
Compensation and benefits strategy, systems and processes in alignment with Our Promise.
Promoting Accountability and performance culture
- Maximize accountability for Organizational culture, agility, and effectiveness which drives high performance and realization of Our Promise.
- Lead structure realignment processes to match program requirements, including pre-positioning for emergency responses.
- Promote a culture of diversity and encourage spiritual development of Christian leaders, promote interfaith principles and values and oneness among Christian and staff of other faith.
- Spearhead the performance management process, strengthen the quality of performance and promote career conversations in the office.
- Review and contextualise global and regional P&C Policies to WV Senegal P&C policies for international assignees and national staff and ensure alignment with Country labour laws.
- Ensure people management risks are identified and the organisation regularly reviews and implements adequate risk mitigation measures for WV Senegal.
- Provide leadership in educating staff on employee relations and investigations protocol and ensure cases are managed confidentially and promptly.
- Oversee grievance management, corrective and disciplinary actions in line with organizational policies.
Program Growth, down-sizing and pre-positioning for emergency done well.
Spiritual formation for Christian Leaders. Inter-faith training for all staff.
Culture of diversity and unity visible in the organization.
Partnering for performance management process in place. On-going Performance and career conversations in place at all levels.
Approved IA and National Staff P&C policies, systems and processes in compliance with Senegal labour laws.
Reviewed and updated risk registers. Risk mitigation measures in place
Staff fully aware of Ethics point.
IIM cases are uploaded and managed properly.
Developing Capable and available workforce
- Spearhead the acquisition and prepositioning of a diverse and talented workforce using work force planning
- Ensure that the WV Senegal’s recruitment policy, system and processes are well established for acquiring talent with required competencies, mindsets and behaviours required to realise Our Promise.
- Ensure monitoring and reporting systems for national & international hires are effectively managed.
- Promote gender diversity through appropriate identification of talent at all levels.
- Establish a roster system or database to call upon potential talents that were identified in past interviews for consideration in new opportunities.
Work force planning in place.
Effective staff acquisition and retention.
Well-designed recruitment policy, systems and processes to attract HIPOs with the required mind-set and behaviours.
Effective monitoring and reporting systems for IA and National staff recruitments.
Gender and diversity ratio maintained for staff at all levels.
Developing a strategic and professional People & Culture Team
- Ensure that the People & Culture function has the required capacity, capability, systems, processes, policies and guidelines to drive transformation of mindsets and behaviours and realisation of Our Promise.
- Promote a customer centric culture in the People & Culture function, ensuring professionalism and accountability in delivering services to staff and leaders.
- Provide overall leadership and technical support to the P&C team, coaching and mentoring the team through regular meetings, sharing and monitoring individual plans to support professional growth and development.
- Design efficient P&C systems and processes with a particular focus on process excellence and ensure that Our People is fully operational with accurate and complete information for decision making.
High caliber and professional P&C team.
Effective service delivery of P&C team to all stakeholders.
Regular coaching and mentoring of P&C staff by P&C Director.
Our People system is fully operational with 100% accuracy and effectively utilized.
Promoting external and internal coordination
· Establish proactive linkages and strategic networks with key International NGOs and other stakeholders at the national and international level for broader impact and also to keep abreast of the ongoing changes in the external environment that affects the fragile context operations.
· Consistently develop and maintain effective working relationships with Regional P&C, SLT and different departments including field based program managers.
Proactive engagement, improved networking and linkage with INGOs and other stakeholders for information sharing and context awareness.
Improved networking with internal stakeholders at the Regional and National Office level.
National Offices in the area of Talent Management, staff development, performance management and Organizational Development (OD), In doing so, the incumbent is expected to:
· Work with the Global Center and the Regional P&C Director in implementing global initiatives that represent the vehicles for achieving the talent agenda for World Vision Senegal;
· Assess the Senegal context to find opportunities that can be harnessed and articulate it in a talent management strategy to guide the agenda in National office.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
Minimum education, training and experience requirements to qualify for the position:
- Education: Master’s degree in Human Resources Management or related field;
- Seven (7) years of progressively leadership, responsible management or supervisory level experience in human resources in a complex and progressive human resources environment;
- Technical Training qualifications required: Professional qualifications in Human Resource Management or Organisational Development (OD) or Leadership Development.
- Experience: Minimum of 5 years of experience in a Senior Human Resources Management position in an international organisation.
- Experience working in conflict and fragile contexts, as applicable.
- The candidate should have a personal calling, passion for service.
Additional work experience required as a minimum qualification for this position.
· Experience working with Senegal and other countries labor laws;
· Experience in risk management in high risk and sensitive environments.
· Proven success as a dynamic and empowering leader who possesses a positive attitude to instill a vision for excellence with innovation and creativity.
· Experience in risk management in high risk and sensitive environments;
· Effective leadership abilities; strategic thinking, planning and problem solving;
- Record of initiating change and innovation
- Superior communication skills, both in written and verbal presentation
- Effective human relations abilities to effect collaborative alliances and promote teamwork and ensure a high level of internal and external customer satisfaction and engagement.
- Ability to succeed in a complex environment where decision-making may be diffuse and ambiguous.
- Proven success in developing a large high performing staff, establishing performance standards, and transitioning staff through organizational change, with an emphasis on the ability to recruit and manage a culturally diverse workforce.
- A high degree of professionalism and competency dealing with a variety of individuals including, international assignees, senior executives, middle managers and external constituents.
- Experience in preparing operating and capital budgets;
- An ability to organize and present data in a concise and easily understood manner, often to professionals and board members.
- Ability to be recognized as a positive change agent.
- Conflict management and resolution skills.
License, registration, or certification required to perform this position:
- HEAT (hostile environment awareness training) and SRMT (security risk management training) or a UN equivalent
- RDMT Training
- Enterprise Risk Management Training
- Staff care and Critical Incident Stress Management (CISM) training
- Certification in trauma counselling or certain basic training in this area
- Interfaith training
- MSTC (or similar trainings on context monitoring)
Preferred Skills, Knowledge and Experience:
- Visionary thinking and understanding of humanitarian operations in fragile contexts.
- Proven record of managing people in a diverse cross-cultural and interfaith settings and initiating and implementing organisational change in restricted and fragile contexts.
- Spiritual maturity, interfaith knowledge and a biblical worldview – Ability to articulate and model our Christian identity and mission in an inclusive way.
- Familiarity with INGO international staffing policies and sound knowledge of Regional/ Country labour laws.
- Demonstration of well-developed interpersonal skills, excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Highly flexible and agile in style with the ability to produce creative and pragmatic solutions to complex Human Resources problems.
- Proven conceptual & analytical skills and systems thinking.
- Agile decision making – knowledge for P&C/global policies at hand to facilitate decisions.
- Personal resilience in the face of complex and evolving contexts.
- Proven facilitation skills.
- Team player.
- Champions and manages innovation.
- Ensure a gender perspective in the scope of work.
- External engagement, internal engagement and networking skills.
- Very good OD and change management skills especially the ability to design and execute OD interventions in a fragile & grants funding context.
Additional work experience preferred for this position.
- Experience in emergency response scenario planning process.
- Peer mentoring and coaching from a seasoned leader who has worked in these contexts long enough.
- Motivate and inspire staff and leadership to work in challenging and high risk areas.
- Inspire staff commitment to work for the most vulnerable children in war/ conflict zones.
Complete Travel and/or Work Environment statements if applicable.
· The position requires ability and willingness to travel domestically and internationally up to 20**%** of the time.
- Job City Dakar, Senegal