Background and Purpose
The Food Security and Agribusiness Support (FAS) program is a five year, $23 million USAID funded program implemented by CNFA in Egypt. The goal of FAS is to increase agriculture-related incomes of smallholder farmers in Upper Egypt. The program will achieve this goal by implementing a market-driven approach that facilitates sustainable, pro-poor value chain development and helps smallholders increase access to domestic and export markets. The market-driven approach will be supported by four interrelated components: 1) improved on-farm production, 2) more efficient post-harvest processes, 3) improved marketing of agriculture crops and products, and 4) improved nutritional status, especially for women and children.
CNFA seeks an international or Egyptian Private Sector Horticultural Marketing Expert to engage as a consultant for a period of 3-6 months to provide senior level expertise to the FAS Marketing Team as well as strengthen and supervise marketing component activities. The expert will oversee and manage the Marketing Team staff and ensure all relevant targets are met.
Project marketing interventions aim to fill critical gaps that impede access to EU, Gulf, and high value Egyptian markets. Fresh-packed horticulture will be exported through existing exporter-importer business relationships as well as new relationships formulated through trade show participation. Striving for EU quality (i.e., GlobalGAP) will help ensure that FAS-supported production can also access high-value domestic markets, including hypermarkets, hotels, and restaurants.
This position reports directly to the Chief of Party and is based in Luxor. Specific duties include:
- Identify buyers and markets for smallholder horticultural exports to EU and Gulf regions as well as high value markets within Egypt
- Facilitate forward contracting technical assistance and contracts between Upper Egyptian producers and buyers (domestic and export), including market identification and overseeing the implementation of buyer contracts
- Facilitate and develop connections and relationships with processors and exporters that can be linked with Upper Egyptian smallholder farmers
- Develop and monitor the quality of marketing related trainings for buyers, processors, and exporters
- Advise on marketing related aspects of the program strategy and plan for meeting targets
- Support the Chief of Party with timely and accurate reporting to USAID
- Ensure high-quality performance of all relevant activities
- Perform other tasks as assigned;
- An advanced degree in marketing or at least 20 years’ experience in private sector horticultural value chain marketing
- Experience in designing and supervising agriculture marketing activities;
- Experience working with export/end markets, particularly in Western Europe and the Gulf markets;
- Previous experience in Egypt preferred;
- Strong communication, analytical, writing, and interpersonal skills;
- Excellent team management skills;
- Professional proficiency in written and spoken English required
- Job City Luxor