Position Title : Procurement and Logistics Officer
Duty Station : N’Djamena, Chad
Classification : Professional Staff, Grade P2
Type of Appointment : Fixed term, one year with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 14 November 2019
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading
UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and
non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. Read more about diversity and inclusion at IOM at www.iom.int/diversity.
Applications are welcome from first- and second-tier candidates, particularly qualified female candidates as well as applications from the non-represented member countries of IOM. For all IOM vacancies, applications from qualified and eligible first-tier candidates are considered before those of qualified and eligible second-tier candidates in the selection process.
For the purpose of this vacancy, the following are considered first-tier candidates:
- Internal candidates
- Candidates from the following non-represented member states: Antigua and Barbuda; Cabo Verde; Comoros; Cook Islands; Cuba; Djibouti; El Salvador; Fiji; Gabon; Grenada; Guinea-Bissau; Guyana; Holy See; Iceland; Kingdom of Eswatini; Kiribati; Lao People’s Democratic Republic (the); Latvia; Libya; Marshall Islands; Micronesia (Federated States of); Montenegro; Namibia; Nauru; Palau; Papua New Guinea; Saint Kitts and Nevis; Saint Lucia; Saint Vincent and the Grenadines; Samoa; Sao Tome and Principe; Seychelles; Solomon Islands; Suriname; The Bahamas; Timor-Leste; Tonga; Tuvalu; Vanuatu
Second tier candidates include:
All external candidates, except candidates from non-represented member states.
Under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission (CoM) in Chad, the direct supervision of the Resources Management Officer (RMO) and in close collaboration with the two heads of sub office, and the Global Procurement and Supply Unit (GPSU) in the Manila Administrative Centre, the successful candidate will be accountable and responsible for ensuring the appropriate implementation of IOM Instructions and procedures governing procurement in the mission. S/he will be responsible and accountable for providing support to ongoing activities with procurement and logistics services of the mission and its sub-offices. S/he will also contribute to providing recommendations aiming at increasing effectiveness and efficiency of ethical procurement and supply chain management in Chad; measured by IOM Procurement and Supply Objectives and Goals as follows:
• Best Value Sourcing and Value for Money;
• Availability and Quality Assurance;
• Compliance and Stewardship; and,
• Productivity and Efficiency.
The Logistics & Procurement Unit provides procurement/contracting, facilities management and vehicle fleet management support to the mission.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Assist in the implementation of procurement, logistics, facilities maintenance, asset administration, and transport support within established internal control mechanisms.
- Identify transport companies and deploy effective and reliable vehicles for transporting personnel, materials and equipment needed in programme implementation. Ensure training of partners in ethical standards of operation, including Protection from Sexual Exploitation and Abuse (PSEA).
- Monitor and update the database of vendor/contractor accreditation and evaluation status to ensure a pool reliable vendors and contractors to address the needs of the Mission in close coordination with the logistics cluster and the Operations Management Team (OMT).
- Contribute to the implementation of permanent procedures for procurement, warehouse operations and asset administration that are compliant with IOM’s general instructions, policies and donor requirements, as well as protection mainstreaming and Protection from Sexual Exploitation and Abuse (PSEA) principles.
- Establish and monitor a tracking system for commodities, supplies, equipment and project assets in various sub-offices and maintain a functioning relationship with partners on the ground in regard to the joint warehouse and supply chain management. This is particularly relevant in the Lake Chad region and the areas bordering the Central African Republic.
- Assist in providing response capacity to the operational demands of IOM Chad in close coordination with the different emergency response units. This may include operational support to IOM Cameroon operating in the Lake Chad area using Ndjamena as a logistics hub.
- Assist the programme management in preparing and issuing the call for proposals and bidding documents for tenders. Verify the transparency and compliance with the Field Procurement Manual of the bids. Support local procurement wherever possible and facilitate the linkage of local procurement processes, especially of service provisions, on the national level through the programme units with key ministries.
- Train and supervise procurement and logistics assistants and focal points of the sub offices in IOM Chad ensuring that they conform to established procedures. Assist in producing monthly and regular reports. Provide capacity building measures in procurement and logistics also to IOM’s implementing partners of all programme units (mainly national Non-Governmental Organisation (NGOs)).
- Organize and maintain proper procurement and filing systems. Assist the RMO in project-related record keeping and the Project Managers in monitoring the services provided by implementing partners and service providers.
- Coordinate strategic planning for procurement and logistic needs in close collaboration with the CoM and the RMO.
- Undertake frequent duty travel relating to programme activities, as required.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree in Business Administration, Management, Logistics, Procurement or a related field from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience; or
• University degree in the above fields with four years of relevant professional experience.
• Certification in Procurement, Logistics or Supply Chain management is an advantage.
• Experience in procurement and logistics at the international level;
• Experience in high risk security settings;
• Experience working on complex projects, with a demonstrated record of meeting deadlines;
• Relevant experience in the region is considered asset;
• Sound knowledge of asset management processes and procedures.
IOM’s official languages are English, French and Spanish.
For this position, fluency in French and working knowledge of English is required (oral and written). Working knowledge of Arabic and/or Spanish is an advantage.
1 Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
• Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
• Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
• Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
• Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
• Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
• Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
• Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
• Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
• Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link. https://www.iom.int/sites/default/files/about-iom/iom_revised_competency_framework_external.p
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
This selection process may be used to staff similar positions in various duty stations. Recommended candidates endorsed by the Appointments and Postings Board will remain eligible to be appointed in a similar position for a period of 24 months.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 14 November 2019 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
IOM only accepts duly completed applications submitted through the IOM e-Recruitment system. The online tool also allows candidates to track the status of their application.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For further information please refer to: www.iom.int/recruitment
From 01.11.2019 to 14.11.2019
IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training or other fee). IOM does not request any information related to bank accounts.
Requisition: VN 2019/288 (P)-Procurement and Logistics Officer (P2) – N’djamena, Chad (56218787) Released
Posting: Posting NC56218788 (56218788) Released
- Job City N'Djamena