PROCUREMENT & OPERATIONS OFFICER
South Sudanese Nationals only
Vétérinaires Sans Frontières Germany (VSF-G) is an international Non-Governmental Organization, providing humanitarian and development assistance to pastoralists and vulnerable communities in areas where livestock is of importance. VSF-G supports in animal health, livestock related agriculture, marketing, food safety, drought responses and mitigation, capacity development of communities and governmental institutions, peace and conflict resolution with the ultimate aim of livelihood security of pastoralist communities. In the region VSF Germany implements activities in the Republic of South Sudan, Kenya, Sudan, Somalia and Ethiopia.
VSF-Germany has been in South Sudan since 1998 covering the States of Upper Nile, Jonglei, Warrap, Eastern Equatoria, Western Bar el Ghazal and Lakes State, supporting emergency and recovery programmes alongside communities in the said States. In August 2022, VSF-Germany signed a 6-year contract with the Government of South Sudan (GoSS) to lead the implementation of South Sudan Livelihoods and Resilience Project (SSLRP) designed to cover 15 Payams in the 3 States of Central Equatoria, Eastern Equatoria and Jonglei. The specific purpose of the project is to improve food and nutrition security of the benefiting households through improved farm production and income. To do so, the project adopted a community-driven development (CDD) as an approach that will contribute to improved food and nutrition security of the primary target groups, who are considered food insecure smallholder producers found in 15 Payams in the 5 selected Counties and are engaged in fishing, cropping, and livestock production, and they specific attention to facilitate their social integration in agricultural production and economic activities.
The Procurement and operations Officer will be responsible for all procurement under the Project and for maintaining all procurement documentation in good order. He/she will directly report to the Project Manager.
This position is based in Juba. The post holder will be responsible for successful implementation of South Sudan Livelihoods and Resilience Project (SSLRP) in Bor, Terekeka, Torit, Magwi and Kajo Keji.
- Specific responsibilities
- Installation of appropriate procurement systems and procedures for effective planning and monitoring of procurements under the Project;
- Communicate to all implementing entities and service providers their responsibilities and requirements with respect to procurement in keeping with IFAD requirements and the prevailing government practices that are acceptable to IFAD;
- Preparation and consolidation of the annual Procurement Plan;
- Monitor implementation of contracts: report status and problems to the Project Manager, and intervene to address problem upon request by the Project Manager;
- Maintain all procurement records in a form appropriate for regular auditing;
- Ensure that goods and services financed have been procured in accordance with the grant/loan agreement;
- Coordinate preparation of ToRs for consultancy services and technical specifications for all procurements, in conjunction with the relevant technical government personnel;
- Undertake local shopping for goods and services where this falls within the procurement guidelines;
- Prepare tender documents in the required format and advertising or inviting bids from qualified (or pre-qualified) suppliers;
- Convene and support bid evaluation committees to undertake technical evaluation of bids or proposals for supply of goods and services. Ensure that Evaluation Committees have people with appropriate expertise;
- Approve progressive payments to contractors against the agreed milestones or outputs;
- Maintain a register of approved suppliers for smaller items procured locally;
- Prepare quarterly and annual reports of progress with implementation of the Procurement Plan, and regularly inform the Project Manager of problems and make proposals to overcome bottlenecks; and
- Carry out any other activities that are assigned by the Project Manager.
- Qualifications and experience
- A Master’s degree in purchasing and supply, economics, finance or law; or equivalent management qualification with significant training and practical experience in procurement within government projects supported by international financial institutions;
- He/she will have a sound understanding of procurement within the South Sudanese environment and the protocols and procedures applying to internationally financed programmes and projects in the country;
- He/she would have at least 8 years of work experience in procurement and contracting preferably; and
- The job holder must possess advanced working knowledge and skills of MS Office (MS Word, MS Excel and MS Access).
- Ability to work well in teams and to interact with a wide range of private sector partners and government representatives;
- Knowledge of work planning and reporting;
- Excellent analytical skills;
- Honesty and Integrity;
- Strong written and oral communication skills in English; and
- Able to work independently, with limited supervision.
Interested and qualified candidates should submit an application letter and CV plus 3 names of referees (one of them being their last/current immediate supervisor) with their full contacts through. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interviews. Closing date for receiving applications is 12th December 2022, before 12:00 am midnight. This is a national position*.* Qualified females are highly encouraged to apply. Shortlisting will be on a rolling basis.