Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action – helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within. Now, and for the future.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Program Officer, Food for Peace
Reference Number: MDG/HUMOPS/2020/00024
Location: Damboa, Borno State, Nigeria
Position Status: Full-time regular employee
Program / Department Summary
- With the insurgency affecting North East Nigeria and displacing millions of people, Mercy Corps is expanding its humanitarian programming to support the conflict-affected population.
- As a result of the wide-scale needs, Mercy Corps is scaling-up food security, nutrition, protection, livelihoods, and energy access activities in Damboa Local Government Area in Borno State to address emergency needs.
General Position Summary
- The Program Officer will work closely with the Program Manager, Senior Program Officers, , MEL team and Operations staff to ensure that activities are implemented according to schedule, budget and required quality. S/he will be responsible for the implementation of Energy access component of
- USAID/food for peace, REACH 4 program while providing support to food assistance implementation.
Essential Job Functions
- Participate in the development of appropriate targeting criteria and mechanisms to ensure the needs of identified vulnerable groups are met.
- Support technical aspects of Energy Access component of the program by assisting with the development of activities as appropriate
- Participate in registration of Mercy Corps beneficiaries both manually and electronically and ensure the registration process is up and running.
- Conduct community mobilization of Mercy Corps Beneficiaries in preparation for the field activities taking place.
- In collaboration with M&E staff, coordinate the implementation of relevant surveys, needs assessments, data and information collection for on-going monitoring
- Develop activity work plans and manage day-to-day activity implementation
- Facilitate and co-facilitate community meetings, events, and training as required
- Maintain proper file management for all beneficiary registration and distribution documentation.
- Coordinate with other technical departments (nutrition, water and sanitation) and support departments (log-admin, human resources).
- Liaise with local authorities, partner organizations, NGOs, government bodies and clusters at base level.
- Carry out regular monitoring and supervision during redemptions, registration, etc
- Document and report all lessons learnt during energy access intervention activities.
- Conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and to not jeopardize its humanitarian mission 14. Any Other duties as assigned
- As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
Accountability to the Beneficiaries
- Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
- 1 Program Assistant
- Reports Directly to: Senior Program Officer, FFP
- Works Directly with: All Mercy Corps team, partners, MC Beneficiaries.
Knowledge and Experience
- Preferably, a degree or HND in Agronomy, Veterinary, Socio-economic, Rural Development, Anthropology, Geography, International Development or any related disciplines.
- Minimum of 2 -3 years’ experience in food security, Energy access or any related humanitarian program
- Multi-tasking, organizational and prioritization skills
- Experience using Excel
- Experience creating basic graphs and tables a plus
- Fluency in English, Kanuri and Hausa languages
- Attention to detail and quality of delivery
- The successful candidate will be capable of multitasking, rapid decision-making, have initiative, drive and a lot of energy, as well as high emotional intelligence, constructive mentoring skills and proven experience with capacity building. S/he will be committed to long-term program sustainability and the delivery of high-impact activities at the community level. Successful Mercy Corps team members have a strong commitment to teamwork and accountability, thrive in evolving and challenging environments, and make effective written and verbal communication a priority.
- Mercy Corps team members represent the agency both during and outside work hours. Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and Mercy Corps’ policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV and Cover Letter in one document, addressing the position requirements, reference number and location to: [email protected] using the “Job title” as the subject of the email.
- All applications must include the position title and Reference Number on the envelope or in the subject line if sending via email.
- CV and cover letter and should not be more than 4 pages.
- All applications must include the Position Title on the envelope and should not be more than 4 pages.
- Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted for an interview and we are an equal opportunity organization so women are strongly encouraged to apply for
- Job City Borno State, Nigeria