Duty Station: Singida, Tanzania, United Republic of
Education & Work Experience: C-HS Graduate or Equivalent – 6 year(s) experience
Vacancy Type: Service Contract (SC)
Posting Type: External
Contract Duration: One year with possibiity of renewal
Open to Tanzania Nationals
UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
UN Women works in line with the Tanzania’s national priorities, the United Nations Development Assistance Plan 2016 – 2022 (UNDAP II) as well as internationally agreed normative standards. UN Women Tanzania’s Strategic Note (SN) for the period 2017-2021 lays out the agency’s unique role and comparative advantage in supporting national stakeholders in advancing gender equality and the empowerment of women by strengthening women’s leadership and participation in political and governance systems, gender statistics, implementation of global gender norms and standards, ending violence against women and girls, and women’s economic empowerment. To promote women’s economic empowerment by enhancing income security, decent work and economic autonomy of women, UN Women’s interventions address: policy and strategy-level support including enhancing capacities of policy makers and Local Government authorities in implementation of policies and strategies in selected economic sectors; removing financing barriers and capacitating women to invest in climate-smart agriculture; and promoting opportunities and capacities of women farmers to move up the green agricultural supply chains. To contribute to delivery of the UNDAP II and the UN Women Strategic Note, UN Women along with UNFPA is launching a 3-year Joint Programme by support from the Korea International Cooperation Agency (KOICA), entitled ‘Realizing Gender Equality through Empowering Women and Adolescent Girls in Tanzania’. The objective of the programme is to enhance social and economic status of women and adolescent girls in Singida and Shinyanga Regions.
Reporting to the Programme Analyst, the Programme Associate works with and provides support to the members of the Programme Team in the development and implementation of effective programmes consistent with UN Women rules and regulations. The Programme Associate contributes to research, financial management, and programme implementation including providing necessary operational, administrative and programmatic support. The Programme Associate works in close collaboration with the operations, programme and projects’ staff in the Country Office and UN Women HQs as required for resolving complex finance-related issues and exchange of information.
Duties and Responsibilities
Provide administrative and logistical support to the formulation and management of programmes
- Provide administrative support in the preparation of programme work plans, budgets, and proposals on programme implementation arrangements;
- Provide technical guidance to the Country Office and executing agencies on routine delivery and reporting of programme supported activities and finances;
- Prepare information for the audit of programmes/projects and support implementation of audit recommendations;
- Review programme data from programmes projects for the Country Office website;
- Identify sources, and gather and compile data and information for the preparation of documents, guidelines, speeches and position papers.
Provide administrative support to the financial management of the Programme Unit
- Create projects in Atlas, prepare budget revisions, revise project awards and status; and determine unutilized funds and the operational and financial close of a project;
- Provide administrative support in monitoring budget preparation and the finances of programmes/projects; including the finalization of FACE forms;
- Review financial reports; prepare non-PO vouchers for development projects;
- Process payment for consultants;
- Maintain internal expenditures control system;
- Create requisitions in Atlas for development projects; register good receipts in Atlas;
- Assist in the preparation and follow up of cost-recovery bills in Atlas.
Provide administrative support to the Programme Unit
- Undertake all logistical, administrative and financial arrangements for organization for meetings, workshops, events, and missions;
- Make travel arrangements for the Programme Team, including travel requisitions and claims;
- Prepare public information materials and briefing packets;
- Assemble briefing materials and prepare power-point and other presentations;
- Provide guidance and training to the Driver.
Provide administrative support to Resource Mobilization
- Prepare cost-sharing and other agreements; follow up on contributions within the Country Office resource mobilization efforts;
- Organize, compile and process information from donors, Country Office, and programme team, as inputs to various databases and documents.
Facilitate knowledge building and knowledge sharing
- Provide administrative support synthesis of lessons learnt and best practices related to programme management and finance;
- Provide administrative support to the organization of training for the office staff and partners on programme and operations related issues.
Key Performance Indicators
- Timely and accurate support to events, workshops, and missions;
- Full compliance of administrative activities with UN Women rules, regulations, policies and procedures;
- Timely recording of overall programme unit finances;
- Timely and accurate tracking of data for CO management and donor purposes;
- Quality maintenance of internal systems.
- Respect for Diversity
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues
- Creative Problem Solving
- Effective Communication
- Inclusive Collaboration
- Stakeholder Engagement
- Leading by Example
- Good knowledge of programme management;
- Ability to administer and execute administrative processes and transactions;
- Ability to create, edit and present information in clear and presentable formats;
- Ability to manage data, documents, correspondence and reports information and workflow;
- Strong financial and budgeting skills;
- Strong IT skills.
Required Skills and Experience
Education and certification:
- Completion of secondary education required.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business or Public Administration is an asset.
- At least 6 years of progressively responsible experience in administration or programme management/support;
- Experience in working in a computer environment using multiple office software packages;
- Experience in the use of ATLAS is an asset;
- Experience in supporting a team.
- Fluency in English and Kiswahili is required
- Knowledge of the other UN official working language is an asset.
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
- Job City Singida, Tanzania