INTERSOS is an independent humanitarian organization that assists the victims of natural disasters, armed conflicts and exclusion. Its activities are based on the principles of solidarity, justice, human dignity, equality of rights and opportunities, respect for diversity and coexistence, paying special attention to the most vulnerable people.
Terms of reference
Job Title: Programme Coordinator
Duty station: 100% Maiduguri, with visits to deep field locations and Abuja for coordination meetings
Starting date: 01/12/2022
Contract duration: 12 months
Reporting to: Head of Mission
Supervision of: 2 expats and 4 national managers
Dependents: Non-family duty station
General context of the project
According to the Nigeria Humanitarian Response Plan 2022, 8.4 million people are in need of humanitarian assistance in the north-east and north-west of the country, with the majority of them being women and children who are facing significant protection risks. The people in need is likely to increase due to continuation of insecurity in the intervention areas with IDPs fleeing to relatively safer places.
INTERSOS has been rendering humanitarian responses in Nigeria since 2016, providing life-saving support from the most affected communities such as health and nutrition, covid-19 response and vaccination, protection, food security and livelihoods, shelter, access to clean water and sanitation, camp coordination, and common warehouse management.
General purpose of the position
As a member of the Senior Management Team (SMT), the Programme Coordinator will jointly ensure the management and development of the country programmes. The Programme Coordinator leads the planning, implementation and monitoring of all projects in coordination with the concerned technical coordinators to apply integrated approach for synergies across sectors. The Programme Coordinator shall ensure timely and efficient programme implementation, and most importantly the quality of projects and programmes in terms of their impact.
Leading the M&E team, the Programme Coordinator also guides the programme strategy and development of future programmes. Together with the Head of Mission, the Programme Coordinator represents INTERSOS to donors and partners, ensuring that INTERSOS is recognised for its programme expertise and field experience. Furthermore, the Programme Coordinator engages in medium and long-term planning and strategy activities, ensures continuous quality improvement of programmes and contributes towards a successful environment for the programme staff.
Main responsibilities and tasks
- Lead the programme strategy development and implementation of the Country Strategic Plan
- Ensure that the overall programme is designed, managed and implemented in conformity to INTERSOS policies, strategy and guidelines.
- Ensure effective leadership and management of INTERSOS Nigeria programme through line management and coordination with all sectoral teams
- Ensure timely and high-quality reporting is done by all programmes to donors
- Ensure project developed meets high standards in terms of design, implementation and M&E through proper Project Cycle Management
- Prepare programme budgets collaboratively with programme and finance staff
- Track programme expenditure through monthly programme review meetings using financial expenditure reports prepared by the finance department.
- Ensure compliance to donor policies, procedures and procurement
Fundraising and proposal development
- Conduct regular context analysis (incl. the country’s socio-economic situation, (donor) trends, needs and gaps), as well as stakeholder analysis
- Identify funding opportunities;
- Lead proposal writing processes from a programme perspective and coordinates with other departments
- Contribute to the identification of potential relevant international and/or local partners (private sector partners, national and international NGOs, think tanks, academia, etc.) to be included in proposals
- Liaise with Technical Coordinator to contribute to the ToRs of assessments to be conducted for proposal development and to request their input in the logframe development
- Contribute to the development of fundraising documents (including expression of Interests/ Concept Notes/ Proposals) in line with INTERSOS country strategy and donor requirements and in close collaboration with INTERSOS HQ and finance
- Liaise with Head of Base, Project Managers and Technical Coordinators to ensure that proposals are relevant and technically sound
- Integrate learning from previous interventions (e.g. lessons learnt and best practices) into new proposals
- Involve Finance, Logistics, M&E, Technical Coordinators and Security teams in the development of fundraising documents, particularly finance for the budget and logistics in case of specific donor procurement rules
- Maintain active and regular working relationships with donors
- Maintain active and regular working relationships with other NGOs, UN agencies, clusters, working groups and consortia
- Regularly update a directory of donors, international and local NGOs, other partners and stakeholders
- Active engagement and coordination with the relevant national and local authorities as required by INTERSOS registration/legal status in country
- In the absence of Technical Coordinators, represent INTERSOS in key clusters and working group meetings
- Contribute to addressing in a timely manner all comments by donors on proposals in liaison with relevant staff in country and INTERSOS HQ and finance
- Read thoroughly all contracts before signature, seeking INTERSOS HQ and finance advice when required
- Ensure that contractual obligations (including visibility requirements) and reporting deadlines are known and met by Programme, and Finance, Logistics, M&E, Technical Coordinators and Security teams’ team
- When any issue is identified in meeting deliverables in the given timeframe and budget, inform relevant staff in country and seek INTERSOS HQ Program Department advice on potential solutions that would meet donor rules
- Lead the kick-off planning and close out review meetings for each project
- Write quality narrative reports, reflecting the progress and status of projects in a transparent, timely and professional manner, in liaison with INTERSOS HQ and finance, which will contribute ultimately to steady cash inflow
- Liaise with section Heads (Finance, Logistics, M&E, Technical Coordinators and Security teams) teams when preparing reports, especially with finance to ensure greater coherence between financial and narrative reports by cross checking the matching of data in the narrative and financial reports
- Contribute to the monthly update of the INTERSOS and ensure smooth and regular communication with INTERSOS HQ
- Ensure ad hoc requests from donors are addressed in liaison with the HoM, programme and support teams
- Ensure proper reporting of the various projects implemented in country
Human Resource Management
- In consultation with the Head of Mission, plan HR needs, capacity building needs for senior program staff an enough human resources for the programme to meet its objectives
- Ensure coherent policy towards recruitment, remuneration and bonuses across the country programme
Documentation and Learning
- Ensure that all programmes properly retain programme learning for future projects, and that all information is properly documented.
- Ensure that all official programme documentation is properly stored and available for the future
Required profile and experience
University degree (preferably Master or Postgraduate) in international development, social science, public health, international relations, conflict and security, or other relevant disciplines.
- Minimum 5 years of experience in senior leadership role within technical expertise in a humanitarian/ recovery context
- Experience in conflict/post-conflict contexts, with experience in leading emergency responses, access and security analysis and management
Completed relevant trainings in Project Management, Monitoring and Evaluation, Proposal Writing, Humanitarian Coordination, Safety and Security Management, etc.
English – fluent in spoken and written
- Strong leadership skills
- Excellent team-working and team-building skills, as well as ability to work under high pressure and with flexibility
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills and ability to work and integrate in a multicultural team
- Problem solver, dynamic, mature
- Confidently able to deal with authorities and donors
- Pro-active approach to work
- Able to work independently as well as being a strong team player
- Flexibility, capacity of managing stress, good diplomatic skills
- Flexibility in staying in guest house provided
Please note that our application process is made of 3 quick steps: register (including your name, email, password, citizenship and Skype address), sign-up and apply by attaching your CV and motivation letter in PDF format. Through the platform, candidates will be able to track their applications’ history with INTERSOS. In case you encounter severe difficulties applying through the platform, you can send an email attaching your CV and motivation letter (both in PDF version) via email to [email protected], with subject line: “Platform issue – SR-49-2746-Position”.
Please also mention the name, position and contact details of at least two references, including the line manager during your last job. Family members are to be excluded.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for the first interview.