Position Title : Programme Coordinator (Peacebuilding)
Duty Station : Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso
Classification : Professional Staff, Grade P3
Type of Appointment : Special short-term graded, six months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 10 December 2020
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. Read more about diversity and inclusion at IOM at www.iom.int/diversity.
Applications are welcome from first- and second-tier candidates, particularly qualified female candidates as well as applications from the non-represented member countries of IOM. For all IOM vacancies, applications from qualified and eligible first-tier candidates are considered before those of qualified and eligible second-tier candidates in the selection process.
For the purpose of this vacancy, the following are considered first-tier candidates:
- Internal candidates
- Candidates from the following non-represented member states:
Antigua and Barbuda; Botswana; Cabo Verde; Comoros; Cook Islands; Cuba; Fiji; Gabon; Guinea-Bissau; Guyana; Holy See; Iceland; Kingdom of Eswatini; Kiribati; Lao People’s Democratic Republic (the); Latvia; Luxembourg; Marshall Islands; Micronesia (Federated States of); Montenegro; Namibia; Nauru; Palau; Saint Kitts and Nevis; Saint Lucia; Saint Vincent and the Grenadines; Samoa; Sao Tome and Principe; Seychelles; Solomon Islands; Suriname; The Bahamas; Timor-Leste; Tonga; Tuvalu; Vanuatu
Second tier candidates include:
All external candidates, except candidates from non-represented member states.
Under the direct supervision of the Chief of Mission (CoM) and in coordination with the Department of Operations and Emergencies (DOE) Regional Thematic Specialists (RTS) in the Regional Office for West and Central Africa and relevant units at headquarters (HQs), the successful candidate will be accountable and responsible for the overall management, coordination and oversight of IOM Burkina Faso peacebuilding and community stabilization projects portfolio including cross border projects covering Benin, Togo, Mali and Niger funded by the Peacebuilding Fund (PBF). Extensive travel in the field and across the region for monitoring and evaluation will be required.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Provide overall direction, coordinate and oversee the implementation of IOM Burkina Faso PBF projects in an effective and timely manner, being responsible for the financial, administrative and technical monitoring of the projects, in line with IOM’s policies and practices as well as donor requirements.
- Monitor progress against PBF programme objectives and ensure high-level quality of deliverables. Provide technical guidance and oversight of compliance to programme partners, technical advisers, programme staff, implementing partners and service providers.
- Drive all internal and external narrative and financial reporting, including donor reporting, ensuring coordination and consolidation of partner reports according to donor guidelines and IOM regulations and established procedures.
- Plan, coordinate and monitor the projects in close coordination with the relevant colleagues and IOM offices in Niger, Mali, Benin and Togo.
- Supervise project team in implementing activities, including reporting, monitoring and evaluation, ensure the timely recruitment of international/national contractors, consultants and/or experts required for the implementation of the projects, in accordance with IOM’s procedures and regulations.
- Strengthen coordination and collaboration with other participating United Nations (UN) agencies, the Government, Non-Governmental Organisation (NGOs), communities and other stakeholders.
- Provide advisory support to the overall PBF programme orientation and strategy, identify constraints and obstacles to the implementation of projects assigned, and propose solutions.
- Ensure consistent accompaniment of communities throughout the project implementation process as required. Proactively develop formats for community engagement and monitoring techniques, which take into account community suggestions.
- Substantively contribute to the development of tailored peacebuilding and community stabilization programming in response to contextual developments and assist mission leadership to advocate for identified priorities.
- Develop and strictly adhere to community based “Do No Harm frameworks” and non-violent communication principles.
- Ensure adequate and coordinated visibility and communication about the project, including through press visits, radio messaging, social media and press releases.
- Represent IOM in relevant conferences, workshops, steering committees, policy and technical working groups, as well as other forums to ensure proper coordination, presentation and promotion of IOM activities.
- Undertake duty travel, in line with prevailing security restrictions, as required.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree in Political or Social Sciences, International Relations, Humanitarian Affairs or
a related field from an accredited academic institution with five years of relevant professional experience; or
• University degree in the above fields with seven years of relevant professional experience.
• Experience in programme coordination and managerial responsibilities;
• Experience with peacebuilding and community stabilization work areas;
• Experience in emergency settings with strong knowledge of IOM/UN project life cycles;
• Strong combination of training and experience in the field of operations, and solid working experience in complex environments;
• Experience in liaising with government authorities and local communities as well as national and international institutions;
• Experience of working in conflict situations and heading field offices or sub-offices is a distinct advantage.
• Knowledge IOM/UN administrative and financial management;
• Familiarity with the region is an asset.
IOM’s official languages are English, French, and Spanish.
For this position, fluency in English and French is required (oral and written). Working knowledge of Spanish is an advantage
Proficiency of language(s) required will be specifically evaluated during the selection process, which may include written and/or oral assessments.
1 Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
• Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
• Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
• Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
• Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
• Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
• Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
• Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains
complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
• Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
• Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link. https://www.iom.int/sites/default/files/about-iom/iom_revised_competency_framework_external.pdf
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
This selection process may be used to staff similar positions in various duty stations. Recommended candidates will remain eligible to be appointed in a similar position for a period of 24 months.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Vacancies close at 23:59 local time Geneva, Switzerland on the respective closing date. No late applications will be accepted.
How to apply
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 10 December 2020 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
IOM only accepts duly completed applications submitted through the IOM e-Recruitment system. The online tool also allows candidates to track the status of their application.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For further information please refer to: www.iom.int/recruitment
From 27.11.2020 to 10.12.2020
IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training or other fee). IOM does not request any information related to bank accounts.
Requisition: SVN 2020 264 Programme Coordinator (Peacebuilding) (P3) Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso
Posting: Posting NC56740816 (56740816) Released
- Job City Ouagadougou