NRC in the East Africa & Yemen Region prides itself on being a leader in the service of refugees, internally displaced people and displacement communities. We strive to be a rapid responder and a pioneer in Hard to Reach areas. We unlock durable solutions and make deliberate efforts towards a more sustainable impact in our programming.
We aim to deliver the best possible service through commitment to our regional hallmarks: evidence based programming; advocating for change; cash and markets-based programming; driving innovation; collaborating with other actors for greater impact; integrating our programmes to achieve synergy and maximum efficiency; and valuing staff diversity.
The Gambela region of Ethiopia is hosting approx. 400,000 refugees from South Sudan and 2019 has seen high movements of people cross border being one of the main challenges for response implementation. NRC is responding to the needs of the refugees by providing shelter, education, livelihoods and ICLA support in collaboration with the Government of Ethiopia, UNHCR and other partners.
NRC has an Area Office in Gambela, which alongside 6 other area offices fall under the Ethiopia Country programme with a country office in Addis Ababa. In total the operation has 290 staff including 9 internationals.
Gambela is a town in the eastern part of Ethiopia connected to the capital by road and daily flights. Gambela is known for its hot weather conditions and by its limited services and recreational options. The staff live in self-contained rooms in a Guesthouse/ Office and travel daily to the refugee camps.
The Programme manager is responsible for implementing integrated programmers and represent NRC at coordination forums, as delegated by the Area Manager.
- Act as Deputy Area Manager when appointed
- Representation in sectorial coordination and working groups at Gambela level
- Responsible for Project Cycle Management in Area, including Grants start-up, review and Closure meetings
- Support area program strategy development; organize assessments and research and analysis
- Promote collaboration and networking with local, national and regional actors
- Seek innovation and technology solutions to enhance project impact
- Promote the rights of refugees in line with the advocacy strategy
- Ensure communication and donor visibility in media
Qualifications• Minimum 4 years’ experience from a management position in a humanitarian/ recovery context
• Experience in implementation of projects in the sectors of: shelter, WASH, education and livelihoods expertise is an advantage
• Experience from working in complex contexts
• Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
• Knowledge about own leadership skills/profile
• Fluency in English, both written and verbal
• Valid driver’s license is an advantage
- Undergraduate degree in Administration / Organization / Management
Personal qualities• Multitasking, planning, managing resources and delivering results
• Self-driven, proactive with solution finding skills
• Managing resources to optimize results
• Managing performance and development
• Empowering and building trust
• Handling insecure environments
We offer• 60% Travel is expected mostly to the Gambela camps
• Contract Duration:12 months
• Salary/Benefits: Competitive compensation and benefits package
NRC may be required to verify the identify of its partners and check that its partners have not been involved in illegal activity. NRC reserves the right to use electronic screening tools for this purpose.
***Female applicants are highly encouraged to apply for this position***
Please refer to the Job Description on the advertisement for further details
- Job City Gambela