1. Terms of reference
Project Civil Engineer
Education Project Manager, WASH Project Manager
2. Job description
A. General context of the project
General context of the project
INTERSOS is planning to implement humanitarian interventions both in Baidoa and DIINSOOR Districts involving activities on education and WASH.
The education project mainly targeting 16 IDP Schools titled “Ensuring a safe and protective learning environment for crisis affected children and youth in Baidoa IDP camps” entails supporting 2185 children out of school (1,090 boys and 1,095 girls) to access education as a right in a safe, protected and dignified environment. The construction/refurbishment of Temporary Learning Space (TLS), latrines and hand washing facilities in the target schools are core activities aimed to create an enabling learning environment.
INTERSOS is implementing a wash project entitled ‘’Ensure that the most vulnerable displaced and disaster-affected women, girls, boys and men have increased, equal and sustained access to safe and appropriate water services and hygiene in Dinsoor and Baidoa District’’ involving the construction and the rehabilitation of wash infrastractures.
B. General purpose of the position, responsibilities and tasks
General purpose of the position
The project civil engineer will be part of INTERSOS staff supporting both the education project in Baidoa and the WASH activities in Diinsoor district. He/she will report to the project Education and WASH project managers in the accomplishment of the main responsibilities and tasks. He/she will coordinate and supervise all the activities which requires specific civil engineering knowledge (in particular construction of education facilities and WASH facilities).
Main responsibilities and tasks
Main responsibilities include the following:
- Prepare, check and revise construction-related BOQs considered for the construction of classrooms, latrines and hand washing facilities in both Baidoa and Diinsoor Districts.
- Support designing of the construction of classrooms, boreholes, shallow wells, latrines and hand washing facilities.
- Support in reporting construction-related details and inputs for all construction in both Baidoa and Diinsoor districts.
- Prepare or adapt sketches and design of civil and hydraulic works for the execution of construction works, as required by the project and according to the instructions of the Education/WASH Project Manager.
- If necessary, revise the technical documentation in every tender dossier related to constructions of the classrooms, latrines and washing hand facilities and as well share it with the respective education/WASH project managers in Baidoa and Diinsoor districts.
- Oversee and supervise the actual construction activities and sites as the construction of classrooms, latrines and WASH facilities and as well provide technical guidance and expertise to the manpower in charge of the works.
- Submit required reports on construction activities to the Education/WASH Manager.
- Establish contacts with counterparts (technical coordinators from other humanitarian agencies) and share with them techniques, knowledge, approaches related to construction works.
- Support in re-scheduling construction/rehabilitation works component of the project work-plan, and monitor that the implementation of the construction activities respects the time-table milestones and deadlines.
- Support in conducting Education/WASH assessments to understand the gaps of the vulnerable communities in Baidoa.
- Quickly react to changes – of any kind – in the context in which the project activities are being implemented, inform the senior management about them and contribute to finding proper adjustments.
- When needed, represent INTERSOS in coordination meetings related to her/his duties.
- Any other task, necessary for the project implementation, as requested by the Education/WASH project manager.
3. Position requirements
- BSc / MSc in Water / Environmental Engineering or Civil Engineering
- 5 years post-qualification professional experience in a relevant field with particular reference to construction and rehabilitation of wash infrastructures.
- Previous experience in Education/ WASH programme in a humanitarian context
- Knowledge and understanding of humanitarian standards such as Sphere.
· Excellent computer skills (particularly Office package, GIS, Google Earth, Database management, Software for Water-Wastewater networks designing) are mandatory
· Knowledge of mobile data collection tools (ODK toolkit)
· Aptitude for community mobilisation and capacity building
· Excellent numerical, report writing, analysis and proposal writing skills.
· Fluency in written and spoken English and Somali langaugaes
· Knowledge on (Maay-Maay) is essential.
Integrity, Honest, Professional, Transparency, Accountable and Communicative.
As a general input to this section, not mandatory requirements are followed by the word ‘‘desirable’’ in brackets. All other requirements are considered as mandatory.
Interested candidates who meet the required qualifications and experience are invited to submit their applications through email to [email protected] with subject line as “PROJECT CIVIL ENGINEER” by 19th July, 2019.
The application should be a cover letter and CV as one document and indicate the title of the position on the subject line this will ensure we capture your application in the right way.
Applications should include contact details of three professional referees. One referee must be the applicant’s Immediate supervisor.
INTERSOS is an Equal Opportunity Employer Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply Only short listed candidates will be contacted.
- Job City Somalia