What is the opportunity?
This is an exciting, full-time position based in Senegal working out of a UNICEF office and will require establishing residence in Senegal for a minimum of two (2) years with the ability to extend to three (3). The Project Engineer is responsible primarily for supporting French speaking operations by applying sound engineering principles, project management, and excellent written and verbal communications skills to the design and budgeting of solar powered water projects in West Africa. This role requires a 3-month stint in Charleston, SC, before moving to Senegal and all travel and moving expenses will be covered by Water Mission. The Project Engineer position reports to the Director of Engineering and will require multiple trips each year to the headquarters in Charleston, SC, or one of our permanent country programs in East Africa. A successful Project Engineer will:
- Work in a team environment to provide technical direction and assistance to other engineers and technicians at Water Mission and UNICEF
- Develop project engineering scopes and designs for solar powered water projects in West Africa
- Conduct field inspections and site assessments
- Create standard and project-specific engineering designs, calculations, construction drawings, and specifications
- Manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Maintain good communications with team members across multiple countries, time zones, and offices
- Maintain good communications with UNICEF and other entities
- Ensure work is done within an agreed upon scope, schedule, and budget
- Assist in the development of engineering standards for worldwide projects
- Prepare and make presentations to other departments, country program office staff, strategic partners, donors, and volunteers
What is required?
- Personal and growing relationship with Jesus Christ
- Must be fluent in both French and English
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering – Civil, Environmental, or Chemical (other Engr. degrees considered)
- 5 or more years of engineering and project management experience
- Must be a go-getter with an entrepreneurial spirit
- Must move to Senegal for multiple years
- Experience with mechanized pumping and solar powered pumping systems preferred
- Engineering Intern status (EIT); Professional Engineer status (PE) preferred
- Ability to work within cross-cultural environments and to overcome stereotypes and language barriers
- Knowledgeable skills with office computer programs (Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook) and engineering programs such as AutoCAD, EPANET, Microsoft Project, etc.
- Job City Senegal