Farm Africa vision is a prosperous rural Africa. We are a specialist development NGO working with smallholder farmers, forest communities, local government and private sectors across East Africa for the last 30 years. With community engagement underpinning our approach, we design and implement sustainable solution to rural poverty based on evidence and best practices. In 2015 we reached approximately 1.8 million pastoralists, agro-pastoralists, farmers and forest dwellers in Ethiopia, Kenya, Uganda and Tanzania.
Farm Africa has worked in Ethiopia for over 28 years, throughout Oromia, SNNPR, Benishangul, Tigray and Afar regions. With funding from a range of institutional donors and foundations including DFID, EU, Irish Aid, Royal Norwegian Embassy, Comic Relief, Barr Foundation, and Ashden Charitable Trust, we have implemented a large portfolio of projects primarily focusing on three areas: agriculture (crop and livestock production), natural resource management, and market engagement. We implement projects directly with communities and these three approaches are further enhanced with integration of cross cutting issues such as climate change, gender and capacity building.
Purpose of the role:
The purpose of the Project Finance and Admin Officer is to ensure the smooth running of the project office through strong management of cash, stores, vehicle arrangement, and communication and handle financial activities and logistics. The Project Finance and Administrative Officer will provide administrative, financial and logistical support to a range of large and smaller projects’ activities. The post holder will be responsible for the day-to-day general financial and administration of the organisation, assisting the Project Coordinator, Project Finance Manager and supporting the staff team.
Key areas of responsibilities are:
- Plan, direct and coordinate office activities
- Work closely with the Project Coordinator and Country Office Finance & other Corporate Service Team
- Support implementation of Farm Africa’s staff charter, staff policy and financial and procurement procedural manual
- Management and documentation of contracts (those at project level) and personnel files; increment and leave
- Maintain a strong financial filling system and manage filing the financial documents in both hard and electronic form
- Assist in staff recruitment and disciplinary issues
- Ensure that all drivers of the project vehicles have current and clean drivers licenses
- Responsible for all tracking and filing of correspondence
- Develop and implement a project filing system that covers both electronic and physical filing
- Manage office communication including the reception area, internal mail; staff working environment
- Manage the operations of the project compound including telephone, electricity and water
- Manage office transport
- Develop close working relationships with Country Office HR and strengthen networking
- Handle the logistic service including movements of vehicles, project inputs, stores management and supervise purchasing
- Develop and implement a system to ensure efficient use and safety of the project vehicles and equipment, including timely and appropriate maintenance and monitoring of costs
- Management of staff and visitor’s movement plans
- Maintaining Fixed Asset register
- Facilitate procurement and delivery of items
- Manage accident reports.
- Support the field office staff on any other logistic and administration activities
- Line manage project driver
- Prepare monthly account reports to submit to the Finance Manager
- Liaise with CO finance staff on the timely provision of monthly financial reports
- Assist the Project Coordinator to review / analyse monthly budget monitoring report for timely comment
- Supports the Project Coordinator in preparing monthly cash forecast and request as well as budget revision
- Manage the project bank account, including preparation and recording of payments, preparation of monthly bank reconciliation
- Liaising with banks for all finance matters
- Manage the petty cash at field office level
- Review all payments against the budget and established rules and regulations and effect payments accordingly
- In consultation with the Finance Manager prepare draft donor and regional government reports when required
- In consultation with the Finance Manager prepare draft donor reports when required
- Contribute to the improvement of the finance system and working standards
- Review and recommend procedural changes to ensure compliance with policy and improve work processes
- Carry out other duties assigned by the Project Coordinator
These essential functions are not to be interpreted as a complete statement of all duties performed. Employees will be required to perform other job related duties as required. All work responsibilities are subject to having performance goals and/or targets established.
Investing in smallholder farming is the number one way to combat poverty in rural Africa. Farm Africa is a leading NGO specialising in growing agriculture, protecting the environment and developing businesses in rural Africa.
- EXPERT. Deep expertise and insightful evidence-based solutions are at the heart of everything Farm Africa does.
- GROUNDED. Positive change starts with Africa’s people, so our experts work closely with local communities, engaging them in every level of decision-making.
- IMPACTFUL. We take a long-term view so we can deliver lasting changes for farmers and their families.
- BOLD. We model innovative new approaches and are not afraid to challenge strategies that are failing.
PROJECT: Livestock for Livelihood (L4L) project
REPORTS TO: Project Coordinator
REPORTING TO POSTHOLDER: Admin Assistant and Cashier, Office Assistant, Drivers
Qualification and Experience:
- BA or above in Accounting or related fields
- Knowledge of employment legislation in Ethiopia
- Good understanding and firm belief in gender equality and issues in rural communities
- At least four years relevant experience in Finance and Administration role with similar responsibilities in an NGO or private enterprise
- Previous INGO work experience in rural areas is advantageous
- Experience of asset and inventory management
Skills and Abilities:
- Skills in budgeting and maintaining accounts
- Strong computer skills and experience working with accounting software
- Computer literacy, excellent record keeping and report writing
- Strong attention to detail and problem solving skills
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Good team building skills and the ability to work in a multi partner approach
- Strong analytical, organizational and IT skills
- Ability to work independently and with minimum supervision, prioritize tasks and to take initiative
How to Apply
Those who meet the above requirements should submit their short CV (maximum of 3 pages) and a cover letter (maximum 1 page) addressing [email protected] with the subject Project Finance and Admin Officer for L4L Project by January 16, 2019.
Documents cannot be returned and due to large number of applications, only short listed candidates will be contacted. Applications are especially welcomed from female applicants.
- Job City Jinka town, SNNPR