FHI 360 is seeking a Project Manager to lead the program management of FHI 360’s Ebola Virus Disease (EVD) Response in Équateur Province. Based in Mbandaka, the Project Manager is responsible for ensuring FHI 360’s EVD response in Équateur meets the project’s deliverable on time and on scope and plays a critical role in ensuring the organization’s emergency programming is responsive to the needs of Ebola-affected populations in DRC. He/she will ensure humanitarian activities are evidence-based and adhere to technical standards for the field, and as circumstances demand, engage at all stages of an emergency, from the initial acute phase through to transition and recovery, and will support technical programs from assessment and conception through close-out and evaluation.
- Manages and oversees the FHI 360’s EVD response project from initiation to completion.
- Manages capacity building of programs staff in coordinating and managing the implementation of project activities, delivering quality and accountability.
- Provide guidance and monitoring for program staff, ensuring clarity over project plans and priorities and encouraging effective teamwork.
- Develops best practices and tools for project execution and management.
- Adapts project scope, goals, and deliverables as needed based on the needs of the response.
- Develops and delivers project plans, documentation, training, presentations and to management and staff.
- Identifies and resolves project issues and implements improvement plans to ensure project stays on schedule and within budget.
- Coaches, mentors, and manages programs team to ensure quality, efficiency and compliance with project and company standards/policies.
- Develop partnerships and ensure effective coordination with local service providers and international organizations operating in the SDB pillar of the response.
- Communicates effectively with relevant government authorities to help facilitate FHI 360’s response.
- Provides technical guidance on appropriate emergency activities and devise specific response strategies for the acute and transitional phases of the emergency operations.
- Monitors progress on the delivery of all project activities and ensures that objectives are being met on time and on scope per the work plan.
Applied Knowledge & Skills:
- Working knowledge of concepts, practices, and procedures with project management, process development and execution.
- Knowledge and application of Core Humanitarian Standards (CHS) and Sphere standards and Red Cross/NGO Code of Conduct.
- Experience working with Office of US Foreign Disaster (OFDA) strongly preferred.
- Strong interpersonal skills and display evidence of good leadership and influencing skills.
- Ability to interact professionally with culturally and linguistically diverse staff and clients.
- English fluency required; intermediate to fluency level in French strongly preferred.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills and be comfortable participating both as an effective contributor and a listener in group settings which include senior staff.
- Well-organized, resourceful, effective and efficient at coordinating multiple resources to get things done and must have proven track record of successfully working on multiple tasks at once and foresees and plan around obstacles.
- Demonstrated sensitivity in diverse, cross cultural settings.
Problem Solving & Impact:
- Works on problems of complex scope that require analysis and in-depth evaluation of variable factors.
- Erroneous decisions or recommendations may cause critical delays or modifications to projects or operations.
- Ability to exercise judgment that contributes to the organization’s business strategies and develops objectives that align with department’s strategic goals.
- Must be able to provide accurate, expert level advice to reach outcomes that will enable achievement of overall department and organization goals.
- Demonstrates a responsive, professional attitude that is solution oriented.
- Decisions and actions have a serious impact on the overall success of the function.
- Regularly interacts with senior management and HQ based staff.
- Leads by “managing managers” or other direct/indirect reports in the region/functional area.
- Ability to motivate, mentor, and empower individuals to achieve expectations and goals set for the functional unit.
- Provide input on country/project staff performance reviews.
- In coordination with senior management, hire/terminates country/project staff.
- Reports to the Deputy Response Coordinator.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Public Health, Human Development, Social Sciences or Related Field.
- Master or other advanced degree preferred.
- Project management certificate preferred.
- Typically requires 5 – 8 years leading complex on-site emergency response projects and/or programs.
- Experience establishing startup operations/projects in new countries preferred.
- Prior work experience in a non-governmental organization (NGO), government agency, or private company of progressive program management experience in humanitarian assistance or related industry experience in a relevant technical area.
- Demonstrable experience designing and leading technical assessments using proven and effective methodologies; strong background in outcome monitoring and evaluation preferred.
- Experience working in EVD outbreak contexts a plus.
- Experience coordinating complex programs with wide variety of stakeholders; experience with the UN cluster system preferred.
Typical Physical Demands:
- Typical office environment.
- Ability to spend long hours looking at computer screen and doing repetitive work on a keyboard.
- Ability to sit and stand for extended periods of time.
- Ability to lift 2 – 25 lbs.
- Ability to travel to remote field site locations that lack basic essentials.
- Candidate must be in good physical condition and understand that medical care is not readily available at duty station.
Technology to be Used:
- Computer, Microsoft Office 365 (i.e. Word, Excel, PowerPoint, e-mail), office telephone, cell phone and printer/copier.
- Less than 25%
** Or an equivalent combination of relevant education and/or experience sufficient to successfully perform the key responsibilities of the job.
This job posting summarizes the main duties of the job. It neither prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry out these duties. This document should not be construed in any way to represent a contract of employment. Management reserves the right to review and revise this document at any time.
FHI 360 is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer whereby we do not engage in practices that discriminate against any person employed or seeking employment based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, marital status, physical or mental disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected under applicable law.
FHI 360 fosters the strength and health of its workforce through a competitive benefits package, professional development and policies and programs that support a healthy work/life balance. Join our global workforce to make a positive difference for others — and yourself.
Please click here to continue searching FHI 360’s Career Portal.
- Job City Mbandaka