Plan International is an independent development and humanitarian non-profit organisation that advances children’s rights and equality for girls. We support children’s rights from birth until they reach adulthood, and enable children to prepare for – and respond to – crises and adversity. We believe in the power and potential of every child, but know this is often suppressed by poverty, violence, exclusion and discrimination.
Working together with children, young people, supporters and partners, we strive for a just world, tackling the root causes of the challenges girls and vulnerable children face. We have been building powerful partnerships for children for over 80 years and are now active in more than 70 countries, driving changes in practice and policy at local, national and global levels using our reach, experience and knowledge. Plan International is registered in Nigeria with the Corporate Affairs Commission.
Deadline for Application Submission: 19th February, 2020.
The purpose of this role is to ensure the effective and timely implementation and coordination of a multi-year Education in Emergency project funded by Global Affairs Canada (GAC) an implemented by Plan International Nigieria in (Askira-Uba, Jere, Konduga, Maiduguri) Borno State and (Damaturu, Gujba) Yobe state respectively. The project has the ultimate outcome of improved realisation of girls’ rights to inclusive, protective and gender responsive quality education in the Northeast of Nigeria.
Dimension of Role:
Communicates within Plan International Nigeria, development partners and related government institutions in two States Borno and Yobe. The Project Manager will be responsible and ultimately accountable for the project’s strategic direction, planning, quality programming and implementation, financial management, team leadership, stakeholder and partner relationships, and donor deliverables.
The project manager will implement education activities and also document lessons learnt, support assessments and monitoring and evaluation of the Education in Emergencies components of Plan International’s emergency response. He/she is responsible for assessment, response analysis, capacity building. The post holder will also contribute towards the capacity building of EiE staff and Plan Internationals implementing partners.
- Ensures proper stewardship of Plan Nigeria resources, and adherence to government and donor policies and regulations.
- Project cycle management processes and tools (including detailed implementation plans and annual workplans) effectively implemented to achieve project results and comply with donor requirements, government, and partnership agreements.
- Grant management, disbursement and annual reporting processes developed in collaboration with local implementing partner(s)
- Expenditure (including that of local implementing partners) is monitored monthly to ensure spending is on track and forecasts are duly updated based on project needs and in compliance with donor regulations.
- Participates fully in strategic planning, annual planning and budgeting and other program planning processes, and ensures that implementing partners are involved where appropriate.
- Provides leadership and management for all direct reports and ensure the establishment of and functioning of a strong, effective and coordinated team.
- Coordinates the management of ongoing relationships with existing partners at the field level and where relevant, leverage those relationships to greater collective impact.
- Participates as an active member of the Response Management Team (RMT) member that oversees the general management and coordination of the Humanitarian Response.
- Regularly communicates to the Education Unit on organizational priorities and key decisions as a member of RMT.
- Represents Plan International Nigeria with external stakeholders, by attending meetings, making presentations, and providing advice where necessary.
- Ensures that team members and all other colleagues uphold Plan shared values in all aspects of their work, perform their duties and functions in a collaborative, effective and supportive team environment.
- Coordinates with all other units as may be required for the support necessary to advance the work for education development.
- Identifies best practices and incorporates new ideas for building the education program.
- Ensures the integration of partners’ voice into program planning and the development of innovative projects.
- Ensure provision of timely and quality programmatic and financial reports as per the requirement of Plan International and the donor.
- Ensure sufficient and efficient management of projects’ budgets.
- Provide leadership and technical support including trainings to both Plan International and partner staff as well as the government.
- Ensures that Plan International’s global policies for Safeguarding Children and Young People and Gender Equality and Inclusion are fully embedded in accordance with the principles and requirements of the policy including relevant Implementation Standards and Guidelines as applicable to their area of responsibility. This includes, but is not limited to, ensuring staff and associates are aware of and understand their responsibilities under these policies and Plan International’s Code of Conduct (CoC), their relevance to their area of work, and that concerns are reported and managed in accordance with the appropriate procedures.
- Perform any other project related duties as specified by the Supervisor
Technical expertise, skills and knowledge
- Strong knowledge and experience in effective project management practices in complex environments especially girls’ education and gender equality projects
- Proven planning, budgeting, grant management experience for multi-million-dollar projects
- Strong ability to work independently, organize work, meet deadlines, maintain composure, prioritize work under pressure, coordinate multiple tasks and maintain attention to detail
- University degree or equivalent in Education, Social Science, Social Work, Psychology, or related fields having a Master’s degree related field is an added advantage
- Experience working in emergency settings
- Good knowledge and understanding of DO NO HARM principles and established international child protection standards (especially UNCRC)
- Proven coordination, facilitation, people management and supervisory skills
- Previous experience directly providing services to children at risk and victims of abuse, exploitation and violence
- Experience managing projects in collaboration with local implementing partners
- Experience working with IDPs, refugees and other vulnerable populations (ideal)
- Experience with participatory approaches to education, emergency preparedness, crisis/emergency relief management, or other related area.
- excellent interpersonal and problem-solving skills, creativity and flexibility
- Understanding of gender issues in Nigeria, especially pertaining to the education sector
- Works well in and promotes teamwork, comfortable in a multi-cultural environment, flexible and able to handle pressure well.
- Ability to read and write in both English and Hausa languages appropriately.
Skills & Knowledge
- Creates strong sense of purpose and commitment within own part of operations and with stakeholders
- Holds self and others to account to deliver on agreed goals and standards of behaviour
- Demonstrates a high degree of professionalism/integrity
- Provides good and adequate administrative and logistical support to enable programmes to meet meets it’s agreed financial and program outcomes.
- Actively seeks for support in addressing difficulties in execution of duties.
- Strategic thinking and effective contribution to own work and Organizational development.
- Sound judgement and decision-making in complex situations
- Strong emotional intelligence including self-awareness.
- Leads by example to motivate high performance of others
- Very strong commitment to continuous learning
- Job City Maiduguri, Borno