Terms of reference
Job Title: Project Manager Multisector OFDA – Nigeria
Duty station: Maiduguri, with frequent missions in the field (Ngala, Bama, Magumeri and Dikwa LGAs), Borno State
Starting date: 15/09/2019
Contract duration: 1 year (until 14/09/2020)
Reporting to: Head of Base / Head of Mission
Supervision of: 4 expat staff and about 10 national staff
General context of the project
Since 2009, the Boko Haram insurgency has crippled north eastern Nigeria. Borno State continues to be most affected, with over 1.8 million internally displaced persons (IDPs). Recent advances by the Nigerian Army and the Multinational Joint Task Force have improved humanitarian access in 22 of the 27 Local Government Areas (LGAs) in Borno, but have also revealed the extent of the crisis. In newly accessible areas, basic infrastructure has been destroyed, essential services are non-existent, and most local governance systems are not functional.
In support to the UN-led coordinated humanitarian response in the region, INTERSOS is proposing a one year integrated project that will address critical gaps in health, nutrition, and WASH services for a highly vulnerable population in the newly accessible host communities in the Local Government Areas (LGAs) of Ngala (Ngala-Gambaru), Bama (Banki) and Dikwa (Dikwa) Local Government Area (LGA), Borno State, Nigeria:
In terms of health sector, INTERSOS intervention is articulated around two pillars:
- Reinforce the Health Systems, through train for health facilities staff including community health workers, nurses, nurse aids, and midwives on integrated management of childhood illnesses but also on screening for common outbreak prone diseases, case investigation and reporting mechanisms. INTERSOS will intervene for rehabilitation of health facilities structures and procurement of equipment for designated health activities as per the Basic Package of Essential Health Services. Mobile clinics will be organized to reach remote Wards of each targeted LGA;
- Improve reproductive health through provision of training and materials on GBV (included case management at health facilities level), HIV counselling and testing and family planning
Concerning the nutrition sector of intervention, health facilities will be supported to introduce OTP services as part of a comprehensive CMAM program. In addition, INTERSOS will provide furniture; equipment and anthropometric tools according to caseload requirements to the identified health facilities, including mobile clinics ensuring that all identified SAM cases receive the required monitoring and therapeutic care. Both fixed health facilities and mobile clinics will benefit from the RUTF supply.
Finally in terms of WASH, the action plan to enhance hygiene promotion by hand washing stations provision and increased knowledge on safe hygiene and sanitation at health facilities level, but also to improve the environment health through the implementation of a solid waste management at health facilities level, introducing the necessary knowledge, materials and infrastructures for it. At community level, clean-up campaigns will be organized and supported through the provision of materials encouraging communities to actively participate to maintain a healthy environment and identify safe locations for waste management.
General purpose of the position
Full managerial and technical responsibility of the project implementation, including procurement, selection of staff, monitoring and financial supervision of expenditures against target activities. S/he will support training and will supervise all the activities in the field locations. S/he is responsible of regular donor reporting and attends technical coordination meetings, the incumbent work under overall supervision of the head of Base and Head of Mission and coordinate with the Medical Coordinator, who will ensure mentoring and monitoring for the project implementation.
Main responsibilities and tasks
The PM manages, coordinates and supervises the project staff for the implementation of activities and services, ensuring timely and quality implementation and monitoring in compliance with relevant Standard Operating Procedures, International Principles and Guidelines as well as INTERSOS Fundamental Charter and Code of Ethics.
● Planning, coordinating, monitoring and evaluating the implementation of the project, ensuring timely and quality delivery of services as per approved project’s proposal
● Ensure, in line with INTERSOS internal rules and regulations, donor regulations and international humanitarian standard (such as SPHERE) the management of the project
● Conduct regular field visits to assess program quality and progress toward objectives, facilitate collective problem solving with staff and other stakeholders to address challenges
● Monitoring financial supervision of expenditures an appropriate budget management
● Coordinating with the Finance and Logistic department to procure material necessary for the implementation of the activities in a timely manner to ensure adequate supply at the intervention sites
● Liaising with sector appropriate local government and authorities, non-state actors, UN agencies, NGOs, and donors at field site level, in coordination with the HoM
● Plan and distribute tasks and workload among the teams, guiding their understanding of the issues linked to the Project and the Mission through regular working meetings and feedback, in order to ensure an efficient deployment of the resources and the achievement of the expected goals
● Inform the field team on the instructions given by the Capital promoting fluent, smooth written and oral communication and information flow and ensuring confidentiality and full compliance with security rules and medical ethics
● Supervise the project material resources put at INTERSOS ’s disposition in order to ensure a correct use and its longevity
● Supervise all orders (medical and logistical) and the Project’s purchases as well as the financial indicators, with the support of the capital referents, in order ensure efficiency, adequate supply at the intervention sites and early detect deviations and its causes.
● Ensure appropriate budget management
● Monitor the risks and threats around the project(s), documenting the situation and analyzing the consequences of political decisions or negotiations in course
● Proactively participate in relevant technical coordination meetings and working groups.
● Provide technical supervision and guidance to medical team, both for the Mobile Team and the staff in the static facilities
● Be responsible for the proper application of HR policies and associated processes (recruitment, training, briefing/debriefing, evaluation, potential, detection, staff’s development and internal communication) in order to ensure both the sizing and the amount of knowledge required for the activities he/she is accountable for
● Identify training needs, provide individual follow up and coaching, carry out end of mission evaluation of the team members and lead internal communication initiatives in order to facilitate people’s integration and professional development and to maximize their capabilities and commitment to project’s goals.
● Developing regular reports, including donor reporting and the Project Appraisal Tool, ensuring accurate data collection and timely submission
● Ensuring accurate data collection and reporting are submitted in a timely manner for all activities within the project
● Elaborate the Project’s institutional memory, keeping written records (and file them) on its development
Required profile and experience
● University degree or equivalent level in economics, public health disciplines, social sciences or similar. Desirable degree/Master in Project Management.
● At least 5 years of significant international experience in similar positions or in humanitarian sector
● Extensive working experiences in Project Management
● Sound knowledge of PCM
● Solid knowledge of financial monitoring and reporting tools
● Proficient knowledge of sectoral international guidelines and standards
● Experience in working with IDPs or refugees
● Proficiency in English (conversation, reading and writing) required
● Sound personal organizational skills, including time management, ability to meet deadlines, multi-tasking, prioritization of tasks, and working under pressure
● Highly developed cultural awareness and ability to work well in an international multiethnic and multicultural environment
● Proven management and leadership skills
● Ability to deliver high quality work in short periods of time and to work under pressure
● Flexibility to respond to changing nature of humanitarian context and operational difficulties in the field
● Willingness to accept basic living standard and frequent field missions
● Ability to establish collaborative relationships with staff, beneficiaries and other stakeholders
HOW TO APPLY:
For further information and to apply, follow the link below:
In case you encounter difficulties applying through INTERSOS platform, you can also apply by sending your CV, motivation letter via email to [email protected], with subject line: “SR-49-1045 – Project Manager Multisector OFDA – Nigeria”.
Please also mention the name, position and contact details of at least two references, including the line manager during your last job. Family members are to be excluded.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for the first interview.
- Job City Maiduguri