Position Title : Project Officer (Community Stabilization)
Duty Station : Abyei, Sudan
Classification : Professional Staff, Grade P2
Type of Appointment : Fixed term, one year with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 13 November 2019
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading
UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and
non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. Read more about diversity and inclusion at IOM at www.iom.int/diversity.
Applications are welcome from first- and second-tier candidates, particularly qualified female candidates as well as applications from the non-represented member countries of IOM. For all IOM vacancies, applications from qualified and eligible first-tier candidates are considered before those of qualified and eligible second-tier candidates in the selection process.
For the purpose of this vacancy, the following are considered first-tier candidates:
- Internal candidates
- Candidates from the following non-represented member states: Antigua and Barbuda; Cabo Verde; Comoros; Cook Islands; Cuba; Djibouti; El Salvador; Fiji; Gabon; Grenada; Guinea-Bissau; Guyana; Holy See; Iceland; Kingdom of Eswatini; Kiribati; Lao People’s Democratic Republic (the); Latvia; Libya; Marshall Islands; Micronesia (Federated States of); Montenegro; Namibia; Nauru; Palau; Papua New Guinea; Saint Kitts and Nevis; Saint Lucia; Saint Vincent and the Grenadines; Samoa; Sao Tome and Principe; Seychelles; Solomon Islands; Suriname; The Bahamas; Timor-Leste; Tonga; Tuvalu; Vanuatu
Second tier candidates include:
All external candidates, except candidates from non-represented member states.
Under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission (CoM) in Khartoum, the direct supervision of the Humanitarian Response and Transition (HRT) based in Khartoum and in coordination with the Head of Sub-Office in Abyei and the Programme Officer (field programme lead), the successful candidate will have the overall responsibility to support the development, coordination and implementation of community stabilisation programmes in Abyei.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Draft detailed project implementation plans for community stabilisation project components, indicating key actions, milestones and deadlines to facilitate that projects’ goals are achieved and services are delivered to beneficiaries.
- Support PM in managing and coordinating the implementation of community stabilization project activities including financial, administrative, and technical oversight in line with IOM policies and practices, and donor requirements.
- Supervise the contracting of services and grants under the Abyei community stabilization programme.
- Coordinate activities with external project stakeholders such as local government counterparts, community representatives, partner agencies, implementing partners, donors and civil society as required, to ensure effective implementation of projects.
- Help identify operational challenges, risks and viable solutions considering the remote implementation of the project and the volatile security situation in Abyei.
- Support the HRT PM in the guidance to project staff and consultants in Khartoum and in the field, including coordination with capacity building officer in Abyei regarding training needs for field staff.
Monitoring and reporting
- Monitor project implementation progress against project scope, schedule and budget on a regular basis, to document and evaluate results, increase effectiveness and recommend appropriate action.
- Provide regular programme progress updates, with key results and challenges to HRT Program Manager and the Chief of Mission on the status of project and project components, identifying areas for improvement and recommending improvements.
- In coordination with the PM, produce regular and timely internal reports, with adherence to project proposals, to provide an objective overview of program implementation.
- Support the organization’s overall knowledge management through collecting and promoting good practices and lessons learned, contributing to a collection of replicable good practices for programming in Abyei.
Project development and donor liaison
- Assist the HRT PM in the development of IOM’s strategy and programming in Abyei through participation in the development of concept notes and strategies, in consultation with the Regional Office, Headquarters (HQ), the host government and other relevant actors.
- Support the HRT PM in the representing the mission and its programming with donors, Government, and other relevant stakeholders.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree in Development Studies, Political Science, International Relations or a related field from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience;
• University degree in the above fields with four years of relevant professional experience.
• Experience, including building civil society coalitions, brokering technical cooperation and partnerships, and organizing training workshops and events;
• Experience working with conflict affected communities and in facilitating talks and events between conflicting tribes;
• Experience in identifying and addressing root causes of conflict to contribute to the reduction of conflict at the community level;
• An existing network and credibility within (global) civil society networks, ideally working on inter-tribal and open government issues;
• Proven track record on transparency, accountability, citizen engagement and/or government responsiveness;
• Experience on public service delivery is highly desirable as is familiarity with technology for transparency initiatives;
• Proven track record working in multi-stakeholder environments or experience in working with governments desirable;
• Experience working in conflict affected areas.
IOM’s official languages are English, French and Spanish.
For this position, fluency in English is required (oral and written). Working knowledge of Arabic, French and/or Spanish is an advantage.
1 Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
• Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
• Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
• Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
• Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
• Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
• Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
• Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
• Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
• Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link. https://www.iom.int/sites/default/files/about-iom/iom_revised_competency_framework_external.pdf
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
This selection process may be used to staff similar positions in various duty stations. Recommended candidates endorsed by the Appointments and Postings Board will remain eligible to be appointed in a similar position for a period of 24 months.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 13 November 2019 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
IOM only accepts duly completed applications submitted through the IOM e-Recruitment system. The online tool also allows candidates to track the status of their application.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For further information please refer to: www.iom.int/recruitment
From 31.10.2019 to 13.11.2019
IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training or other fee). IOM does not request any information related to bank accounts.
Requisition: VN 2019/289 (P) – Project Officer (Community Stabilization) (P2) Abyei, Sudan (56214927)
Posting: Posting NC56214928 (56214928) Released
- Job City Abyei