Position Title : Project Officer (DTM EVD Analysis and Reporting)
Duty Station : Juba, South Sudan
Classification : Professional Staff, Grade P2
Type of Appointment : Special short-term graded, Six months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 18 November 2019
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading
UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and
non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. Read more about diversity and inclusion at IOM at www.iom.int/diversity.
Applications are welcome from first- and second-tier candidates, particularly qualified female candidates as well as applications from the non-represented member countries of IOM. For all IOM vacancies, applications from qualified and eligible first-tier candidates are considered before those of qualified and eligible second-tier candidates in the selection process.
For the purpose of this vacancy, the following are considered first-tier candidates:
- Internal candidates
- Candidates from the following non-represented member states: Antigua and Barbuda; Cabo Verde; Comoros; Cook Islands; Cuba; Djibouti; El Salvador; Fiji; Gabon; Grenada; Guinea-Bissau; Guyana; Holy See; Iceland; Kingdom of Eswatini; Kiribati; Lao People’s Democratic Republic (the); Latvia; Libya; Marshall Islands; Micronesia (Federated States of); Montenegro; Namibia; Nauru; Palau; Papua New Guinea; Saint Kitts and Nevis; Saint Lucia; Saint Vincent and the Grenadines; Samoa; Sao Tome and Principe; Seychelles; Solomon Islands; Suriname; The Bahamas; Timor-Leste; Tonga; Tuvalu; Vanuatu
Second tier candidates include:
All external candidates, except candidates from non-represented member states.
Under the overall supervision of the Head of Operations in IOM South Sudan, the direct supervision of the Programme Coordinator Displacement Tracking Matrix (DTM) and in close collaboration with relevant units in the Country Office, the Project Officer (DTM IOM Ebola Virus Disease (EVD) Analysis/Reporting) is responsible for analysis and reporting related DTM activities as follows:
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
• Support the DTM team with data analysis and reporting, utilizing relevant statistical software to
enhance timely data processing.
• Analyse DTM data in coordination with the 1M/GIS Officer, Reporting and Monitoring and Evaluation Officer, and Research Analyst, and provide feedback regarding any inconsistencies to enhance data quality and ensure consistent high-quality outputs.
• Conduct data triangulation with primary and secondary sources and perform quality control and quality assurance tasks.
• Support with the improvement of DTM products tailored to specific audiences and develop easy-access data format to meet weekly EVD preparedness reporting requirements.
• Assist the Ebola Preparedness response focal points and IOM task force with timely analysis to ensure DTM findings reach the relevant audiences.
• Support the drafting of programmatic reports and assist in the development of other DTM information products, including, but not limited to internal reports, analytical and statistical reports, displacement profiles, infographics, etc.
• Contribute to the development and adjustment of tools, methodologies and data processing systems to enable rapid data cleaning, validation and analysis.
• Liaise with colleagues in Regional Office (RO) Nairobi and neighbouring countries to enhance inter-operability of flow monitoring data in the context of Ebola preparedness activities.
• Contribute to capacity-building within the team, including by taking on mentorship responsibilities. Help identify gaps in staff capacity and areas for improvement in programming.
• Collaborate closely with the Programme Support Unit (PSU) to meet internal and external reporting requirements.
• Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree in Business Administration, International Relations, Political Science, Communications, Information Management, Computer Science or a related field from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience; or
• University degree in the above fields with four years of relevant professional experience.
• Experience working in international organizations and the humanitarian community;
• Experience in project implementation in a humanitarian context;
• Experience in data collection, research, and report writing;
• Experience writing technical documents, translating/planning specifications to technical briefs for data capture/analysis, and compiling diverse datasets;
• Experience in relevant issues such as migration, displacement, and humanitarian assistance would be an asset.
• Experience in statistical analysis (e.g. STATA, SPSS, R, Python).
• Experience in using visualization tools such as lnDesign, Illustrator, PowerBi an advantage.
• Strong computer background, including experience with relational databases, Microsoft applications, spreadsheets, and word processing.
• Prior experience with DTM a strong asset, prior experience with similar data collection systems a requirement.
IOM’s official languages are English, French and Spanish.
For this position, fluency in English is required (oral and written). Working knowledge of French and/or Spanish is an advantage.
1 Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
• Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
• Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
• Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
• Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
• Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
• Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
• Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
• Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling
environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
• Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link. https://www.iom.int/sites/default/files/about-iom/iom_revised_competency_framework_external.pdf
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 18 November 2019 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
IOM only accepts duly completed applications submitted through the IOM e-Recruitment system. The online tool also allows candidates to track the status of their application.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For further information please refer to: www.iom.int/recruitment
From 05.11.2019 to 18.11.2019
IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training or other fee). IOM does not request any information related to bank accounts.
Requisition: SVN 2019/306 (P) – Project Officer (DTM EVD Reporting) (P2) – Juba, South Sudan
Posting: Posting NC56223133 (56223133) Released
- Job City Juba