Department: MWENDO Project – Programming
Reports To: Senior Project Officer (Cluster Lead)
Country/Location: Kenya- Homa Bay/Kisumu
Catholic Relief Services is the official international humanitarian agency of the Catholic community in the United States. CRS works to save, protect, and transform lives in need in more than 100 countries, without regard to race, religion or nationality. CRS’ relief and development work is accomplished through programs of emergency response, HIV, health, agriculture, education, microfinance and peacebuilding.
CRS is implementing a 5-year orphans and vulnerable children (OVC) program, MWENDO, which seeks to empower local and county-level OVC stakeholders to strengthen the formal and informal HIV and child protection systems and services and the linkages between them, including cross-sectoral service referrals and coordination to ensure quality service delivery for OVC and their households.
As a key member of the MWENDO Project Cluster team, you will monitor and report on all project activities related to OVC services delivery in line with CRS’ work serving the poor and vulnerable. Your thorough and service-oriented approach will ensure that the project consistently applies best practices and constantly works towards improving the impact of its benefits to OVC and their households. You will coordinate closely with a pool of MWENDO Technical Advisors, Project Thematic Leads, Local implementing partner Staff and relevant GOK departments to contribute to a holistic, integrated, and comprehensive OVC project implementation.
· Serve as the project key partnership link between MWENDO Local Implementing Partners (LIPs) and GOK
· Support the coordination, implementation, and monitoring of all assigned project activities as outlined in the detailed implementation plan in line with CRS program quality principles and standards, donor requirements, and good practices.
· Monitor and report any challenges and/or gaps identified to inform adjustments to plans and implementation schedules. Assist LIPs in their efforts to reflect on project experiences.
· Support accountability through coordinating project evaluation activities and assisting LIPs in their efforts to collect and analyze project data per specified mechanisms and tools. Collaborate with LIPs to prepare reports per established reporting schedule.
· Collect information on LIPs staff capacity gaps and technical assistance. Provide technical support and monitor capacity building and technical support activities to ensure effective impact.
· Complete project documentation for assigned activities. Assist with identifying information for case studies and reports on promising practices. Actively engage in dissemination and use of relevant knowledge in the field.
· Represent CRS/MWENDO in meetings at county and cluster levels, working groups, and other events as requested, to support forging relations with relevant GOK departments, LIPs, other stakeholders, and the community.
· Support implementation of child protection policy/child safeguarding policy ensuring that all project-affiliated persons in contact with OVC are trained on and conform to CRS’s Protection Policy and Code of Conduct, Keeping Children Safe standards, USAID child safeguarding and the Minimum Services Standards for Quality Improvement of OVC Programs.
· Provide technical assistance and coordinate with DCS to identify their assets, strengths, and goals for in-service professional development and use this information to develop costed annual work plans that incorporate capacity building activities; and a sustainability plan for continuing DCS development after the project ends.
· Provide capacity strengthening to LIP staff through trainings, workshops, facilitated group interactions, as well as accompaniment through regular communication, and site visits to support the successful implementation of HES project activities.
· Ensure accurate and timely reporting of all assigned project activities per donor and CRS standards and established schedules.
· Ensure community case workers (CCWs) (LIP staff and Volunteers) complete required case management forms and ensure case filing system is developed and maintained.
· Support LIPs adopt project SOPs and Job Aids to ensure deliberate, comprehensive and high quality OVC programming
· Ensure quality and minimum protection standards are implemented and respected in all ECD sites, ensuring that all who work with children have signed and understood the CRS Child Protection Policy
· Promote engagement in positive parent/child relationships.
· Support the maintenance of an effective and confidential case management system.
· Strengthen and maintain networks with all partners including county government to ensure that OVC receive additional support through sharing information, collaboration and leveraging of opportunities that would enhance protection, health, legal, and psycho social well being of OVC
· Support LIPs to implement in line with the project’s gender strategy
Typical Background, Experience & Requirements:
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Social Science, Gender, International Development, Development Economics, Public Health, Psychosocial or a related field. Master ‘s degree will an added advantage
- At least 2 years of work experience for master’s degree holders or 4 years of work experience for bachelor’s degree holders in project support in the field of integrated OVC programming focusing on ECD, Education HIV/AIDS, gender, child protection and safeguarding and other health-related projects in Kenya and for an NGO.
- Monitoring project spending, activities and reporting
- In-depth understanding of donor expectations for program results, outcomes, impact, and reporting.
- Experience in participatory action planning and engagement of stakeholders at various levels.
- Experience monitoring projects and collecting relevant data preferred.
- Excellent understating of GOK.
- Experience using MS Windows and MS Office packages (Excel, Word, PowerPoint).
- Observation, active listening and analysis skills with ability to make sound judgment
- Good relationship management skills and the ability to work closely with local partners and community members and inspire teamwork among diverse partners without direct supervisory responsibilities
- Attention to details, accuracy and timeliness in executing assigned responsibilities
- Proactive, results-oriented and service-oriented
Required/Desired Foreign Language
Able to clearly communicate in written and spoken English
Up to 35% of travel time to MWENDO LIP project sites
Key Working Relationships:
Internal: Project technical officers
External: Representatives of the GOK, LIPs, other stakeholders, and the community
Agency-wide Competencies (for all CRS Staff):
These are rooted in the mission, values, and guiding principles of CRS and used by each staff member to fulfill his or her responsibilities and achieve the desired results.
§ Accountability & Stewardship
§ Builds Relationships
§ Develops Talent
§ Continuous Improvement & Innovation
§ Strategic Mindset
Disclaimer: This job description is not an exhaustive list of the skill, effort, duties, and responsibilities associated with the position.
****Our Catholic identity is at the heart of our mission and operations. Catholic Relief Services carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. We welcome as a part of our staff people of all faiths and secular traditions who share our values and our commitment to serving those in need. CRS’ processes and policies reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation.*
Written applications indicating the reference number of position applied for and CV including day-time contact phone numbers, as well as names and contact information of three references should reach the below-mentioned by Close of Business Wednesday November 14, 2019.
Human Resources Manager
Catholic Relief Services – Kenya/Somalia Program
E-mail: [email protected]
Note: Catholic Relief Services (CRS) does not charge any fees from applicants for any recruitment. Further, CRS has not retained any agent in connection with this recruitment
CRS’ recruitment and selection procedures reflect our commitment to protecting children and
vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation
CRS is an Equal Opportunity Employer
- Job City Kisumu , Homabay