Department: MWENDO Project – Programming
Reports To: Senior Project Officer- Systems Strengthening and Sustainability
Length of Contract: One year
Catholic Relief Services is the official international humanitarian agency of the Catholic community in the United States. CRS works to save, protect, and transform lives in need in more than 100 countries, without regard to race, religion or nationality. CRS’ relief and development work is accomplished through programs of emergency response, HIV, health, agriculture, education, microfinance and peacebuilding.
MWENDO a 4-year USAID-funded project which seeks to improve the health and well-being of vulnerable children affected by HIV and AIDS and other adversities, empower local and county-level OVC stakeholders to strengthen the formal and informal HIV and child protection systems and services and the linkages between them, including cross-sectoral service referrals and coordination to ensure quality service delivery for OVC and their HHs. MWENDO helps counties identify practical and appropriate policies, programs and services that reduce the risk of HIV and maltreatment and promote children’s well-being. Its approach addresses the unique needs of each child and family, including strengthening the frontline social service workforce and case management systems.
Reporting to the Senior Project Officer – Systems Strengthening and sustainability, the PO will manage, coordinate, and monitor project activities and relationships with DCS, National and county government departments, non-state actors and local implementing partners (LIPs) and other project stakeholders to assist strengthening systems and program sustainability. Your project management skills and technical knowledge in OVC programming will ensure that the CP delivers high-quality programming and continuously works towards improving the impact of this project.
- Support the coordination, implementation, and monitoring of all assigned MWENDO project activities as outlined in the detailed implementation plan in line with CRS program quality principles and standards, donor requirements, and good practices.
- Monitor and report any challenges and/or gaps identified to inform adjustments to plans and implementation schedules.
- Support accountability through coordinating project systems and sustainability activities and assisting LIPs in their efforts to collect and analyze project data per specified mechanisms and tools. Collaborate with LIPs to prepare reports per established reporting schedule.
- Collect information on technical assistance needs of the county teams. Provide technical support and monitor capacity building and technical support activities to ensure effective impact.
- Complete project documentation for assigned activities. Assist with identifying information for case studies and reports on promising practices. Actively engage in dissemination and use of relevant knowledge in the field.
- Represent CRS in meetings at county and cluster levels, working groups, and other events as requested, to support forging relations with the GOK, LIPs, other stakeholders, and the community.
- Ensure accurate and timely reporting of all assigned project activities per donor and CRS standards and established schedules.
- Support technical capacity development; guide counties to conduct regular meetings and reviews and apply data to planning, decision making, and advocacy, including making an investment case to the private sector and County government for increased resource allocation to vulnerable children services
- Support implementation of MWENDO’s approach to sustainable OVC programming approaches: Counties Sustainability plans, Counties costed investment case plans, Counties Advocacy strategies for resources mobilization and private sector engagement strategies.
Required Qualifications and Experience:**
· Bachelor’s degree in Public Policy, International Relations, Sociology, Public Administration, community development or equivalent degree. Master’s degree in any of the above is added advantage.
· Minimum of 4 years of work experience, preferably in organizational/institutional development and provision of technical assistance to government entities at the county level and/or international non-governmental organizations or civil society (including faith-based) organizations preferably related to HIV and OVC sustainability programming response.
· Strong knowledge of advocacy and demonstrated work experience with County government on policy formulation and budget preparation
· Demonstrated ability to maintain positive relationships with and accountability towards diverse actors including donors, LIPs, government, and civil society partners.
· Demonstrated ability to motivate and inspire teamwork among diverse partners, without direct supervisory responsibilities.
· Excellent project management skills including demonstrated ability to deliver quality reports in time
· Experience in quality management and using of data to inform decision-making and sustainability planning/monitoring a plus.
· Demonstrated problem solving skills, collaboration experience, creativity and willingness to innovate
- Demonstrated ability to design and conduct participatory trainings with practical examples.
- Ability to work under pressure, complex environment with multiple tasks.
· Proven partnership and capacity building and/or strengthening experience.
Skills and Abilities
- Critical thinking, creative and problem-solving skills with ability to make sound judgment.
· Strong relationship management skills and the ability to work effectively with government, NGO and other local stakeholders.
- Proactive, results and service-oriented and demonstrated ability to work with and in teams
· Attention to details, accuracy and timeliness in executing assigned responsibilities
- Excellent written and oral communications skills in English and Swahili
· Familiarity and understanding of donor-funded projects policies and procedures
- Demonstrated ability to foster integration and sustainable approaches in programming approach
· Good understanding of GOK systems and procedures as it relates to planning and budgeting.
Required/Desired Foreign Language
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English
Travel Required (include percentage of required travel, if applicable)
- Up to 35% of the time to MWENDO FCI project sites
Key Working Relationships:
Internal: All MWENDO technical staff, Finance, Procurement, and HR/Administration.
External: Donors, MWENDO consortium members, government ministries/institutions at the National, and County levels, health facilities, UN agencies, and all other PEPFAR OVC IPs, civil society and faith-based organizations providing OVC services, Child Protection and OVC Networks
Agency-wide Competencies (for all CRS Staff):
These are rooted in the mission, values, and guiding principles of CRS and used by each staff member to fulfill his or her responsibilities and achieve the desired results.
• Accountability & Stewardship
• Builds Relationships
• Develops Talent
• Continuous Improvement & Innovation
• Strategic Mindset
Disclaimer: This job description is not an exhaustive list of the skill, effort, duties, and responsibilities associated with the position.
****Our Catholic identity is at the heart of our mission and operations. Catholic Relief Services carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. We welcome as a part of our staff people of all faiths and secular traditions who share our values and our commitment to serving those in need. CRS’ processes and policies reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation.*
Written applications indicating the reference number of position applied for and CV including day-time contact phone numbers, as well as names and contact information of three references should reach the below-mentioned by Close of Business Wednesday November 14, 2019.
Human Resources Manager
Catholic Relief Services – Kenya/Somalia Program
E-mail: [email protected]
Note: Catholic Relief Services (CRS) does not charge any fees from applicants for any recruitment. Further, CRS has not retained any agent in connection with this recruitment
CRS’ recruitment and selection procedures reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation
CRS is an Equal Opportunity Employer
- Job City Kisumu