Title: Quality Improvement Advisor Grade: E
Department: SSISO Project Quality Improvement
Location: central office with frequent travel to operational regions and facilities
Jhpiego Corporation, Johns Hopkin University Affiliate, received funding to support the successful design, planning, implementation, monitoring and knowledge management of the national surgical and anesthesia care strategic plan of Ethiopia, the Saving Lives through Safe Surgery (SaLTS) program. The program is co-designed in close consultation with the Ministry of Health of Ethiopia and hence well aligned with the national surgical care pillars primarily leadership development, work force skill building, quality and patient safety, advocacy and partnership, and monitoring and evaluation. The project will strengthen surgical care systems at different levels of health care system, i.e., national, regional and target model-learning hospitals, new primary hospitals and health centers across Ethiopia.
Summary Scope of Work
The Quality Improvement Advisor leads, and coordinates the region-based planning, implementation, monitoring, and documentation of quality improvement (QI) activities in all operation regions. The Advisor leads the implementation of the QI program and capacity building activities for consultant mentors in respective regions. The Advisor will coaching for target surgical team and Mentors through onsite and off-site skill building workshops and participate during development of related training materials and job aids.
In close collaboration with Team Lead for QI and Mentoring Program Manager, s/he will coordinate the orientation, training, deployment and reporting activities of region-based program staff and consultant mentors. The Advisor works closely with regional health bureaus, intervention facilities and project personnel to initiate, follow-up and document progress of mentoring and quality improvement program activities at target model-learning hospitals, new primary hospitals and health centers with surgical care facilities. S/he will harmonize mentoring program activities with the national and regional surgical care mentoring and quality improvement (QI) program activities with the regional health bureau plans and the saving Lives through safe Surgery (SaLTS) program. S/he participates at regional and national surgical care quality and mentoring program review forums and share best practices representing Jhpiego.
- Position Reports To: Team Lead for Quality Improvement and Mentorship Program
- Position Supervised: Hospital-based Quality Improvement Mentors in the field.
Responsibilities (include Leadership, Business Development, and Knowledge Management):
All staff members of Jhpiego, regardless of the level of their responsibilities are expected to:
- Model the mission and values stated above.
- Actively participate in the business development process.
- Actively participate in the knowledge sharing and transfer process.
- Make responsible decisions that result in both time and cost containment.
- Mainly provides overall leadership and coordination role in successful implementation of region-based mentoring program activities and liaise with regional health bureau and facilities in assigned region(s).
- S/he will harmonize mentoring and QI program activities plans with the regional and facility surgical service and mentoring activities plans.
- S/he represents Jhpiego at regional forums such as regional technical working groups, program review and consultative forums and catchment area meetings.
Quality Improvement (QI) and Patient Safety:
- S/he will be responsible for coordinating the design, execution, monitoring, and documentation of all QI and Patient Safety related interventions and activities
- Integrate Quality Improvement and Patient Safety plans or projects into mentorship program and existing facility Quality Management Unit and applicable QI processes
- Provides overall technical guidance to develop, adopt or test standard operating procedure (SOP) and other QI tools,
- Provides overall technical guidance to develop and implement standard processes and tools to standardize service processes and create synergy across intervention areas
- Monitor adherence to surgical safety checklist, and surgical site infection standard processes and tools
- Analyze data to better understand processes efficiency and undertake root cause analysis exercise
- Train and coach on Quality Improvement and Patient Safety to target leaners
- Assist the design and execution of periodic performance reviews and assessment plans
- Archive and publish success stories and lessons learned on quality and safety plans
Work force development Program:
- Organize training workshops and deliver training on QI skills; identify training needs and co-develop job aids focused on QI
- Provide continuous on-site and off-site technical support, skill building workshops mentoring and coaching to the multidisciplinary mentorship team engaged and deployed by Jhpiego to support health facility;
- Provides mentorship and technical assistance to enable regional teams and public health care facilities to collect, input, analyze and regularly report quality data
- Archive and publish success stories or manuscripts
- Promote and apply standard project management practices including [email protected] tools
- Participates in work plans development, implementation and use performance monitoring indicators to inform the progress of planned activities
- Presents program updates and reports to internal and external stakeholders including the donor, FMOH, RHBs, technical working groups, and strategic partners
Monthly, Reporting and Documentation:
- Coordinate regional project performance review meetings and present performance of region-based project performance plan
- Participate in the design and execution of baseline assessment, mid-term and end-line project reviews and formal evaluations of project interventions
- Execute mentorship and supportive supervision plans and prepare the report
- In collaboration with Managers, write up mentorship and QI program outputs, success stories for internal use, and assist report generation for internal and external audiences
- Scan for new business development opportunities and participate during new project development activities and testing of innovative interventions
- Assist the development and review of Jhpiego strategies and technical materials as well as management effectiveness
- Liaise with Jhpiego, and other outside relevant partners and technical experts to ensure that project strategy and interventions are technically sound and evidence-based
- Support efforts in creating a learning environment across Jhpiego by participating in developing knowledge management plans and archiving and disseminating programmatic successes stories, challenges and lessons learned
- Support sharing of information and knowledge amongst Jhpiego field and Baltimore staff, and partner organizations and explore a community of practices on different competency areas
- A Medical Doctor or Master’s Degree in public health sciences. Candidates with specialty in surgery, obstetrics, anesthesia, emergency medicine, nursing, midwifery, clinical pharmacy or relevant health sciences may apply.
- Minimum of three years’ work experience for a Master’s degree or General Practitioner, and a minimum of two years’ experience for Medical Doctor or public health specialists.
- In-depth understanding of Ethiopia’s health care system, and quality and patient safety and ongoing QI programs is highly desirable.
- Training or experience in healthcare quality improvement, surgical care program, mentorship program, and design of educational training materials is desirable.
- Experience in project management or leadership in public, academic or international NGOs is desirable.
- Well experienced in initiating, planning, executing and following up program activities independently and with minimal oversight
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships and engagement with Ministry of Health, health bureaus, facility leadership, consultants and partners
- Proficiency in writing, reading and speaking in working languages mainly English and Amharic languages.
- Ability and willingness to travel frequently to regions and facilities, as required.
- Ability to work in a complex environment with multiple tasks, short deadlines and intense pressure to perform
- Regularly applies computer skills (Word, Excel and PowerPoint, Outlook) ad Internet.
How to Apply
Applicant are expected to STRICTLY follow the below listed application procedures:
- Only qualified and interested applicants can submit application letter and well written curriculum vitae saved in one complied PDF format.
- Applicants are required to state their current basic salary in their application letter.
- Applicants must make sure their application document is saved by their full name in PDF format.
- CREDENTIALS OR WORK CERTIFICATES MUST NOT BE SUBMITTED.
- The job position being applied for must be explicitly stated in the application letter.
- Applicants must use this E-mail [email protected] to submit applications and make sure to state the job position title applying for in the subject line.
- Applications not fulfilling the requirements stated above will automatically be rejected.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Jhpiego offers competitive salaries and a comprehensive employee benefits package. The winning candidate is expected to start within short period after finalization of the recruitment process.
The deadline for applications is September 30, 2020.
- Job City Addis Ababa