The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) is an impartial, neutral and independent organisation with the exclusively humanitarian mission to protect the lives and dignity of victims of war and internal violence and to provide them with assistance. It also endeavours to prevent suffering by promoting and strengthening International Humanitarian Law and universal humanitarian principles. The ICRC’s Regional Delegation in Nairobi co-ordinates the institution’s humanitarian activities in Kenya, Tanzania and Djibouti.
The Radio Operator operates the ICRC’s telecommunications equipment. Maintains radio contact and telecommunications between sites, vehicles and people so that the delegation can follow field movements in accordance with its programme and with security rules.
Tasks and responsibilities
• Maintain HF continuous communication with ICRC mobile stations and personnel in the field for locations, status, and security reports. Ensure that the laid down Radio Telephony procedures is strictly adhered to;
• Follows communication and transmission activity via telecommunications equipment;
• Ensures constant contact with people moving in the field and takes appropriate action as stipulated under security rules and internal guidelines;
• VHF radio contacts with mobiles stations and ICRC personnel within range for regular communication pertaining to their operations;
• Monitor vehicles, ICRC Aircraft movements and Local Area Network using the monitoring tools to detect any incidents and take necessary actions or escalate incidents to the relevant persons to address them;
• Proactively maintains information flow on security-related issues;
• Conduct periodic equipment inspections and routine tests in order to ensure that operations standards are met;
• Broadcast information concerning security alert locally, using relevant means (VHF, SMS, or phones);
• Attending to Telephone calls during the night times, public holidays and other times of absence of the Switchboard operators. Testing telephone lines and reporting any faults to the ICT Helpdesk;
• Maintain the Regional Delegation’s weekend permanence;
• Faxing of documents as requested by departments within the Delegation.
Minimum Requirements and competencies
· Diploma in Radio Telephony and communication or any other related qualification;
· Minimum 3-4 years’ experience in a similar position;
· Certificate in Radio Telephony and communication;
· Qualified Air operations communicator;
· Previous working experience with International Organizations (preferred);
· Excellent command of written and spoken English (French an asset);
· Advanced computer skills (Word, Excel, Power Point);
· Certificate of good conduct.
How to apply
The interested candidates should fill up a form by clicking the link below on or before 04th February 2022 at 4:30 pm then submit their CV, motivation letter, including references details, supporting documents (Certificates, Diplomas, Degree etc) and current and expected remuneration to ICRC Nairobi Delegation, HR Department via the email address provided below:
- E-mail: [email protected]
The reference Radio Operator must be stated in the application to be valid. If you do not fill out the required information as per the link provided or clearly state the position for which you are applying and attach the required certificates & other supporting documents, your application may not be considered. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Applicants must have the permanent right to work in Kenya.
ICRC does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process. All applications are free for all candidates and no one should require any payment or compensation during the recruitment process. May the candidate be asked for any fee, he/she must report to ICRC HR Department through the recruitment contact.
ICRC is committed to diversity and welcomes applications from qualified candidates regardless of disability, gender identity, marital or civil partnership status, race, colour or ethnic and national origins, religion or belief, or sexual orientation.
- Job City Kenya