UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
For every child, hope
UNICEF South Sudan faces a complex operating environment, with challenges related to conflict and lack of road infrastructure. Our work has been focusing on lifesaving needs, tackling issues such as acute malnutrition, displacement and insecurity, and basic health. We are also continuing with regular programming, such as providing routine and supplementary immunization services, safe drinking water, access to sanitation, and strengthening early childhood development.
Join our team and help us make sure every child has a champion.
How can you make a difference?
Under the direct guidance of the EPI Manager, the incumbent manages the immunization supply chain and logistics operations of a complex nature with significant impact on the expanded programme on immunization (EPI) programme delivery, services, supply and logistic, processes and systems, requiring advanced professional technical mastery and expertise in support of operations and programme objectives. Accountable for effective planning, contracting, procurement, distribution, inventory management of UNICEF’s EPI supplies, in support of the Country Programmes.
Collaborate with all other UN agencies and implementing partners to accelerate implementation of the Harmonized Business practices for supply and logistic initiatives in line within Reform/coherence.
1. Provide rapid and relevant responses to evolving supply needs and situations facing children and families, including emergency situations, with a priority on achieving value for money.
- Responsible for immunization supply chain/logistics planning through coordination with Operations / programme section. Provides technical advice on specifications, supply and logistics arrangements facilitating cost-effective efficient procurement, customs clearance, inventory management and distribution of supplies and equipment, in support of the country immunization programme implementation.
- Participate in the Country Programme strategy planning preview and reviews to advice on immunization supply chain /logistics requirements for the Plan of Operations and Annual Work Plans. Develops supply / logistics component of the Country Programme, including systems for storage and distribution of immunization supplies to all project sites.
2. Ensure sound, accurate immunization supply chain /logistics management systems, procedures and documentation as well as regular, accurate reporting to maintain the highest level of integrity, standards and accountability.
- Establish and maintain contacts with the Supply Division in Copenhagen on supply procurement and shipping policies for prequalified supplies. Interprets and advises the country office on policies and procedures impacting on offshore and local procurement and delivery. Maintains links with Copenhagen on transnational shipments, deliveries, claims and appropriateness of supplies.
- In collaboration with supply and logistics section, establish and maintain a system of contact with customs and port/airport immigration authorities at national ports of entry on the clearance of immunization supplies, in keeping with established protocol. Conclude standby agreements with relevant private business companies for cost effective local procurement of supplies as well as for fielding of supply assistance to projects sites/End users.
- Oversee the overall preparation of appropriate documentation: cash and supply requisitions, purchase orders, long term arrangements.
- Ensure preparation of the supply status reports required for donor reports, budget reviews, programme analysis, annual reports, appeals, etc.
- Regularly create and communicate accurate inventory tracking, inventory aging equipment and incoming supplies information.
3. Ensure that effective support UNICEF and Government capacity-building efforts are provided in order to enhance efficient, effective and timely supply delivery,
- Plan, design and conduct training for UNICEF’s staff/consultants and counterparts in immunization supply chain management with emphasis on effective vaccine management and support training activities at state and county levels for both Supplementary Immunization Activities(SIAs) and routine EPI by using appropriate training guidelines, participates in the Mid-level management training of vaccinators, cold chain managers, and mid-level managers on immunization in practice.
4. Results-based programing on effective ISCM towards increased Immunization coverage
- Undertakes field visits to states and counties, including health facilities for monitoring and supervision of project activities and provide hands-on training to staff for improved immunization coverages.
- Supervises and monitors the implementation of national cold chain rehabilitation and expansion plan, CDEOP Operational Deployment Plan (ODP) and cold chain management plan for routine and supplementary immunization activities including outbreak responses.
- Providing technical assistance and guidance in the forecasting and procuring of vaccines and all devices required for the national EPI programme.
- Monitor the arrival and storage of cold chain equipment, vaccines and supplies for EPI and ensuring that reports such as vaccines arrival reports (VARs) are sent to UNICEF Supply Division timely.
- Provide technical assistance to national EPI to conduct Effective Vaccine Management Assessments (EVMA), CCIO and other assessment related to Immunization Supply Chains Management(ISCM) and developing improvement plans for improved ISCM practices.
5. Collaboration and Partnership
- Coordinate with the Programme Section on supply planning, providing technical advice on procurement specifications and supply administration as well as providing advice on immunization supply requirements in the development of the supply component of the Country Programme.
- Provide advice to the Country Office, Government and implementing partners on offshore and/or local procurement policies and procedures, delivery and utilization of UNICEF immunization supplies and equipment; coordinate with the Supply Division, Copenhagen, on supply policy and/or activities.
- Team with the Programme Section and other members of the Operations Section to facilitate procurement as well as efficient customs clearance, storage and distribution of supplies and equipment.
- Develop and maintain partnership and collaborative relations with UNICEF, Government, UN, and bilateral counterparts in immunization supplies and logistics activities including distribution, monitoring supply inputs, and inventory.
- Coordinate the immunization program of slow moving inventory, upcoming field distributions or deliveries, incoming materials and quality issues to ensure maximum use of available transportation, warehousing space, manpower and other resources.
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have…
- Advanced university degree in Business Administration, Management, International Economics, medical degree with public health experience, Engineering, International Development, Contract / commercial Law or specialization in directly related areas including credited courses in supply, logistics, purchasing or contracting. Equivalent educational qualification in relevant areas (transport or logistics operations / management, supply management, etc.)
- A minimum of five years of relevant professional work experience in immunization supply chain, logistics, purchasing, contracting, administration and/or other related fields at both national and international levels. Work experience in emergency duty station is desired. Work experience in cold chain systems would be an added advantage.
- Fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another official UN language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian or Spanish) or a local language is an asset.
For every Child, you demonstrate…
UNICEF’s core values of Care, Respect, Integrity, Trust and Accountability and core competencies in Communication, Working with People and Drive for Results.
The competencies required for this post are:
- Applying Technical Expertise [II]
- Deciding and Initiating Actions [II]
- Following Instructions and Procedures [II]
- Leading and Supervising [II]
- Planning and Organizing [II]
View our competency framework at
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
UNICEF has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNICEF, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. UNICEF also adheres to strict child safeguarding principles. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks, and will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles.
* Kindly note that this is a re-advertisement. Candidates who already applied do not need to re-apply as their application is still under review.
* Mobility is a condition of international professional employment with UNICEF and an underlying premise of the international civil service.
* Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.
* The successful candidate for this emergency recruitment MUST be available to commence work within 31 days of receiving an offer.
* Please note that is a non-family duty station.
* Employment is conditional upon receipt of medical clearance, any clearance required, the grant of a visa, and completion of any other pre-employment criteria that UNICEF may establish. Candidates may not be further considered or offers of employment may be withdrawn if these conditions are unlikely to be met before the date for commencement of service
- Job City Juba