|Position Title:||Capacity Building Assistant|
|Duty Station:||Addis Ababa, Ethiopia|
|Type of appointment:||SSTDC, Six months with possibility of extension|
|Estimated Start Date:||As soon as possible|
|Closing Period :||24.05.2019 – 05.06.2019|
Organizational Context and Scope
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
Context and Scope of the Position
Under the overall supervision the Migration Management Programme Coordinator and direct supervision of the National Capacity Building Officer, the incumbent will support the Migration Management Unit in designing and implementing initiatives aimed at building the capacity of local authorities in Ethiopia in border management, counter trafficking & smuggling, and health response to migration movements. In particular, the incumbent will:
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Assist the National Capacity Building Officer in planning and delivering training activities for immigration officials on border management and humanitarian border management, as well as for law enforcement officials in the Galafi and Togochale area on mixed migration and migrant protection, as well as on referral mechanisms;
- Provide support in organizing coordination workshops for law enforcement and protection actors to discuss issues linked with Trafficking in Persons, Smuggling of Migrants, mixed migration, protection of victims and vulnerable migrants in transit areas;
- Help design and deliver workshops to build the capacity of the Togochale/Jijiga’s Emergency Migration Response Center (EMRC) management committee;
- Support the National Capacity Building Officer in planning and delivering training activities for health staff in health facilities near exit points at the Galafi/Semera, Togochale/Jijiga, Metema and Moyale border areas on the provision of psychosocial support to vulnerable migrants;
- Support liaison efforts with project counterparts, including governmental and non-governmental entities, regional authorities and other stakeholders as appropriate;
- Maintain an accurate filing system for individual training programmes, including initial proposals, contract agreements, outreach & monitoring forms and project evaluation forms;
- Review project outputs and timelines versus the objectives as set forth in the programme documents, inform supervisor of any deviation and suggest corrective actions;
- Support programme monitoring and analysis efforts in a way that helps improve programme effectiveness;
- Analyze programme achievements, including its financial aspects;
- Draft and submit quarterly and/or annual reports in a timely manner;
- Keep track of best practices and lessons learned to improve programming quality;
- Undertake duty trips as necessary to facilitate project implementation;
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- University degree, preferably in Economics, Business Management/Administration or related Social Science fields of study.
- Minimum of 6 years of professional experience in migration management, counter-trafficking and smuggling, is required;
- Professional working experience in capacity building initiatives, both targeting the Government and at grassroots level is required;
- Experience in implementing similar projects in Ethiopia;
- Proven ability to establish and maintain strong working relations with relevant Government and Civil Society/Community-based Organizations, Non-Governmental counterparts and international organizations.
- Demonstrated experience in project management and implementation, including resource/financial management,
- Familiarity with project development, as well as monitoring and evaluation concepts and procedures;
- Familiarity with adult education/training methodologies in areas such as gender, capacity building would be critical.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following competencies:
- Takes responsibility for action and make accurate self-assessment; accept constructive criticisms and holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities.
- Listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience and able to communicate clearly and sensitively with internal and external stakeholders to meet mutual goals
Client Orientation / Partners and stakeholders
- Ability to work effectively and harmoniously in a team and with colleagues from varied cultures, professional backgrounds; excellent drafting capabilities and negotiation skills, and
Team work and cooperation
- To be able to work cooperatively within diverse teams, work groups and across the organization to achieve group and organizational goals
Creativity and Initiative
- Well planned and organized even within a fluid working environment and has a capacity for initiative and decision making with competent analytical and problem-solving skills;
- Promotes continuous learning for self and others
Creativity and Initiative
- Actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services
- Identify ways and implement actions to improve performance of self and others.
Planning and Organizing
- Plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility.
- Displays mastery of subject matter.
- Displays awareness of relevant technological solutions.
- Good level of computer literacy; proficient in MS Office package;
- Analytical skills – ability to interpret information, identify and analyze problems;
- Thorough understanding of migration, internal displacement and forced displacement;
- Organization, management and negotiation skills;
- Experience with humanitarian organizations in the areas of training for capacity building and other humanitarian activities;
- Knowledge of existing policies and protocols used by IOM, UN agencies and donors;
- Ability to sensitively manage conflicting needs and agendas;
- Able to work with minimum level of supervision.
How to Apply
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their application/ motivation letter enclosed with only detail CV written in English via our e-mail address [email protected], by June 05, 2019 at the latest, referring the position title and Vacancy number in the subject line of your email; no photocopies of educational/training certificates is required at this stage; applicant who doesn’t follow the required application procedure will automatically be disqualified from the competition.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
We strongly encourage qualified women to apply!
- Job City Addis Ababa