Oxfam is a global movement of people working together to end the injustice of poverty.
That means we tackle the inequality that keeps people poor. Together we save, protect and rebuild lives. When disaster strikes, we help people build better lives for themselves, and for others. We take on issues like land rights, climate change and discrimination against women. And we won’t stop until every person on the planet can enjoy life free from poverty.
We are an international confederation of 19 organizations (affiliates) working together with partners and local communities in the areas of humanitarian, development and campaigning, in more than 90 countries.
With the growing number and duration of crises and the cyclical shocks that affect people in the Horn, East and Central Africa (HECA) region; Oxfam is looking for more systemic ways to support and link its humanitarian and development work in the WASH sector.
In HECA we recognise the need for a more comprehensive approach to all our work in WASH which would support Oxfam’s position as a leading WASH/public health agency in this region. To achieve this, we will promote WASH governance, systems strengthening, innovation, including use of new technologies and market-based approaches and learning across the Region.
As part of the Regional team, you will provide technical capacity for the design and implement quality WASH and public health programmes both during emergency and development WASH interventions. This will involve supporting country technical and senior management in the development of governance and resilience strategies for WASH and working with the GHT to provide emergency response support.
This position reports to the Regional Humanitarian Coordinator.
We are looking for a strategic, dynamic and credible individual with the following:
· Master’s degree in water and sanitation, engineering, public health or equivalent technical experience and training
· At least five years of practical experience of water and sanitation programming in multiple developing countries, including significant experience in complex emergency contexts
· Experience in integrated public health programming (combining water and sanitation with public health promotion), and a demonstrated understanding of health promotion approaches and methodologies, community engagement
· Experience in assessment and designing programmes for both emergency and resilience
· Experience in delivering training and developing staff and partner capacity. Ability to take on a coaching and mentoring role
· Demonstrated experience of integrating gender issues into public health activities
· Experience in applying market-based methodologies to WASH/public health interventions
· Diplomacy, tact and negotiating skills: demonstrated ability to use a range of styles and work with a diverse range of people
· Ability to work well under pressure and in response to rapidly changing needs
· Fluent written and spoken English is essential
· Willingness to travel up to 30% of the time**
· Knowledge of a second regional language (French, Kiswahili, Somali, Arabic) would be desirable.
Experience of work with private/public partnerships would be an added value
How to apply
If you believe you are the candidate we are looking for, please download the full job profile and apply online. Use this link https://bit.ly/2Dm0lKG apply:
Closing date: 24 July 2020
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted
Oxfam is committed to preventing any type of unwanted behavior at work including sexual harassment, exploitation and abuse, lack of integrity and financial misconduct; and committed to promoting the welfare of children, young people and adults. Oxfam expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment through our code of conduct. We place a high priority on ensuring that only those who share and demonstrate our values are recruited to work for us.
Note: All offers of employment will be subject to satisfactory references and may be subject to appropriate screening checks, which can include criminal records and terrorism finance checks.
- Job City Nairobi