“Outraged by the injustice faced by people with disabilities and vulnerable populations,
we aspire to a world of solidarity and inclusion, enriched by our differences,
where everyone can live in dignity”
Handicap International is changing his name and becomes « Humanity & Inclusion ». HI, Humanity & Inclusion is an independent and impartial aid and development organisation with no religious or political affiliations operating in situations of poverty and exclusion, conflict and disaster. We work alongside people with disabilities and vulnerable people to help meet their essential needs, improve their living conditions and promote respect for their dignity and fundamental rights.
Since the organisation was first founded in 1982, we have set up development programmes in 62 countries and responded to many emergencies. Today we have a budget of around 150 million euros, with 3500 employees worldwide.
HI is engaged in an employment policy in favour of disabled workers.
For further information about the association: www.hi.org.
JOB CONTEXT :
HI is currently present in Kenya (since 1992), Uganda, Ethiopia (since 1986) and Somaliland (since 1992). In the coming months the 4 programmes will be regionalized and will become the Rift Valley Programme with the regional coordination settled in Kenya. The precise timeline still has to be defined but Uganda is already under the management of Kenya Programme, whereas Ethiopia and Somaliland will gradually be transferred.
The Kenya/Uganda Program is currently one of the most complex programs of HI, with 9 sites, covering 2 countries. Historically, the program has developed several innovative thematics (HIV & Disability, GBV, Armed violence reduction, Road Safety) and benefitted from a large range of competences & technical resources. In the refugee camps and settlement we work with persons with disabilities, including host community, the sectors of intervention are livelihoods, education, sexual reproductive health rights, mental health and physical rehabilitation. In Western Kenya we are involved in child protection and armed violence reduction.
In Ethiopia, HI has implemented projects in the area of physical rehabilitation, mine risk education, community based rehabilitation, food security, HIV and AIDS, capacity building of local associations of Persons with Disabilities (PwDs), inclusive education, inclusive employment, Child protection, GBV prevention, protection/assistance to refugees/IDPs.
Finally, HI’s strategy in Somaliland has been since the beginning to advocate for the rights of persons with disabilities (PWDs) and to engage development actors to promote inclusion and participation of PWDs at local and national level. In 2018, HI has carried out exploratory mission to extend the programme in South Central of Somalia. HI has recently opened its mission in Mogadishu.
Under the responsibility of the CESAN Geographic Director based in Lyon (France), you contribute within your geographical area to the implementation of the mandate and the 10-year strategy of Humanity & Inclusion. You ensure optimal quality and impact of the activities in the Regional Programme, through a delegation system with appropriate control mechanisms. You share with all HI managers the responsibility of a sound management and successful functioning of the global organization.
Within a team of 236 nationals and 14 international staffs, you manage directly 5 to 10 people (to evolve, with the set-up of the regional team)
Your main responsibilities are:
- Management of the whole regional programme organisation, you specifically support Country Managers within the Programme’s scope, ensure their empowerment and maintain adapted accountability and subsidiarity principles through reporting mechanisms.
- Ensure the deployment of HI Strategy 2025 and HI frameworks & regulations in the Programme
- Fundraising and resource planning
- Security management
- Ensure financial control and an effective monitoring of operations
- Legal representation of the overall HI organization internally and externally, you promote a high reputation and positive image of HI.
- External representation
YOUR PROFILE :
- You have a Master’s degree (Bac+5) in humanitarian and/or development, project management, or another relevant field (international studies, law, or more technical studies related to the project, etc.)
- You have at least 5 years’ experience in managing and/or coordinating humanitarian or development projects in an international NGO
- You have a good level of English
- You have a good knowledge of the humanitarian environment and you master the tools of humanitarian project management and/or development (project cycle, etc…)
- You are recognized for your managerial skills; your ability to anticipate, plan and organize; your interpersonal and negotiation skills
- You are comfortable with the exercise of decision-making
CHARACTERISTICS OF THE POSITION :
The position is based in Nairobi, but the program is currently covering two countries: Kenya and Uganda. Ethiopia and Somalia are expected to be integrated to the regional program in 2020.
Kenya is a large country with a good quality of life despite urban insecurity in Nairobi, as is common in a metropolis where the gap between the rich and the poor is both extreme and highly visible. This calls for specific security rules to be abided to. Nairobi provides access to many entertainment, education and health facilities. HI has a head office in the business district called Upper Hill.
The Regional Program Director is expected to travel to the various sites on a regular basis. Some sites are on a high security focus e.g Dadaab refugee camp (North Eastern Kenya).
- Starting date : 1st of February
- Length of the contract:** 3 years
- Employee status, according to experience :
- Salary from 3220 € gross/month regarding the experience of the candidate
- Perdiem :619€ net/month
- Insurances : medical hearth coverage, retirement planning, repatriation
- Paid holiday : 25 days per year
- R&R : 1 day per month
- Status : position open to couples/families
Housing : individual taken in charge by HI
- Job City Ethiopia, Kenya, Somalia, Uganda